Wonder Why Ohio softball is a joke to Big Programs like Florida and Alabama or Michigan?

Steelers002016

Reaction score
DII Alder - Lakewood Game - umpire was disgustingly bad. OHSAA and their lack of an evaluation System strikes again. I could say so much more! Thank goodness Lakewood Smacked the crap out of the ball. Got very few strikes but hit it anyway!

LADY_KNIGHTS

Reaction score
Whats bad umpiring have to do with Florida, Alabama, and Michigan. If memory serves me correctly...at least three girls from Ohio were playing in OKC this weekend.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Bad umpiring in a high school game makes Ohio softball a joke to big college programs in other states?? If you want to complain about high school umpiring, go for it, but I for one don't buy your logic. So you're saying that those schools don't recruit in Ohio because we have some bad umpires, or that they sit in their coaches' offices and tell jokes about Ohio having the worst high school umpires in the country? For as long as there are umpires/referees in any support, there are going to be good ones and bad ones, and people are going to bitch about them no matter how good some might be. Just don't try to conjure up some argument that softball in the state is a joke because you saw what you thought was a poorly umpired game at the state tournament, and expect intelligent people to buy into it.

jtdo40

Reaction score
I was at the Alder - Lakewood game. The home plate umpire was very tight but was tight for both sides. In addition, his strike zone never changed during the game. Pitchers learn how to deal with this as do the batters. Often times the individuals in the seats not participating gripe the most. The girls worked it out, and neither team was a "joke". In fact no team at the State tourney was a joke. I am so proud of all of the young women who worked their tails off to get to this event, I can assure you they are not a joke.

manitoudan

Reaction score
The joke is comparing Michigan to Bama' and Florida , our ohio players are respected nationally by all with a functioning brain . ( Go SEC !!! lol )

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Ohio has come light years in getting kids out there and will only get better in future years as the ones out there now paving the way for the next ones...... I'm not seeing umpires getting recruited........;)

Steelers002016

Reaction score
Jtdo40 - I never said a word about the girls being a joke. Nice of you to twist it for me. Nice deflection and attempt to make me out to be some ass that thinks the girls suck. NOT. I want to see Softball in Ohio be what is is capable of being. My point is, we are better than this. But the best do not always get to the tournament, thanks to morons behind the plate. Were there great teams at the state finals? Of course. You must be an umpire. One of those that throws fans out for stuff like "come on blue" or "that was above her ears blue" or "give that girl a longer bat". "Fans" is short for fanatics... Deal with it. Call the game for the girls, not the crowd or some OHSAA official. Fans have been loud for 100's of years. It will not change. If they are NOT saying something foul, cussing, or something the girls should not hear, put your big boy (or girl) pants on and call the game.

I was at all the State Final games. Some were not so good by blue. Others were very good. The umpires in the DI game got it right. It was obstruction at first and at third. Sorry Lebanon... But I will agree strike sand balls were not that great by blue.

The Lakewood - Hoban final had perhaps the best home plate umpire at all of the state finals. But he was over-ruled twice by (one of three) field umpires that had worse views. Once was a half bloop, half line drive TRAPPED ball, Home plate had it right - overruled. Another was a hard grounder down the line and the field ump ran from the ball - LOOKING AWAY. Home plate called it fair. Again, overruled.

The camera man let everyone around him know the field umpires had both calls wrong during the game. Funny the camera caught the views but the replays were never shown...... Think those calls have no effect on the final scores? Have no effect on the outcome? I call bullshit on that one. But it was an Akron team that benefited. You people up north never cease to amaze me. Maybe the umpires thought it best to look good for the OHSAA morons throughout the stadium. By not being afraid to overturn perhaps the best umpire in the State of Ohio. Often it is the thin skinned power sucking umpires that get it totally wrong. When it is completely about getting it right! That was two runs for Lakewood (at a minimum) that turned into two outs. Just get it right! You (as one of 4 umpires) do not have to be right! The play and call should be right.

The umpire behind the plate in the Alder game was a moron. His strike zone did change all night for lefties especially! Besides, no matter how consistent you are, a ball 10" to 12" off the plate (in the opposite box) and is NOT a NCAA DI level curve ball, is never a strike. Unless you step out of the box and hit it! I also found out from a Lakewood Dad that the home plate umpire in the Lakewood Alder game ACTUALLY told the Lakewood Catcher something like this "you need to get control of your fans, I am not giving that high strike." You tell me what part of that makes any sense to you... Talking like that to 16 yr old kid???? In a State final game!!!

A thin skinned umpire listening to the crowd and saying something so stupid to a catcher, has become the norm in Ohio. There are some umps that are just bad.

Some people here talk about the sprinkling of Ohio players throughout the NCAA. Ohio is a pretty big state. Go look it up in the census. Shouldn't it be better represented? Or maybe our softball does suck and we don't know it????

Everyone keeps saying we are all going South and West to get noticed. My point exactly! You have to spend tons in summer ball to be seen. I know folks love PGF. It is just a money machine. Is that the price you have to pay to be seen????! Their Hotel? How can we expect less from the PGF? The Brain Child of a Rich Man (Chicago Bandits) and the Corrupt West Coast.

What about the families that can't pay? I have seen wonderful talent quit the game because of the cost alone! It is a flawed system by any count. Regional tournaments with Real winners sent to a centralized National tournament is the only way to reduce costs. But what the hell do I know. I believe the State Tournament is run mostly correct until EVERYONE must go to Akron. But I digress.

jtdp40 - quit the twisting of words. You sound like a politician. Or an Umpire that just got a call wrong and will not admit it!

Steelers002016

Reaction score
Love the way everyone picks pieces out without actually thinking about what they are saying. CA is the size of 3 or 4 Midwest states. Granted lots of players should come from CA, TX, FL etc. How many NCAA (BIG DI) coaches actually come to Ohio to see anyone? Taran went to Washington camps and played for the Bandits. Now someone here tell me her father didn't steal the money from team funds and pay the $2000 - $3000 to play for the bandits? Come on, you people think I didn't follow here career and her fathers stupid moves? It utterly proves my point! It was either that, or Conroy graciously let her play and stay for free?

Wake the hell up...

Last edited:

SOFTBALLS14

Reaction score
Website
www.mvxpress.com
I agree and disagree if that makes sense ;).... Yes there are bad umpires everywhere.... there are good umpires everywhere....
Trust me I was all over the south this last year in NCAA D-1 softball. Its not just an Ohio HS thing. Trust me it still is bad at the BIG level too!;)
But does it affect the Ohio recruiting...... NO!

There are many way's to get seen by the BIG COLEGES no matter where they are!
The way I feel Ohio Players come up short is 3 - fold.
1) They don't commit to the sport - They have to be willing to give up ALL other sports and even some other activities, to get the practice, weight training, Running (and lots of it) and softball training they need to be at D-1 Level, God given talent alone wont get you there, OR Keep you there!

2) Ohio Players/ Parents do not know enough about HOW to get recruited by the big programs, Its not complicated but it takes a lot of time, They MUST go to college camps that your player wants to go to, MUST email coaches (not spam email either, personal email), calling Coaches on the phone and talking to coaches (when allowed by NCAA rules at tourneys)(YES, without Mom & Dad standing close by to talk for them!!!) Researching the team (is there even a spot for your player in her graduating year) ALL this gets you on the Right track to recruited.
While Players also do NOT have to go play in tourneys down South or out West ... Player's can Invite coach's, they WILL come if your Player is THAT good and they are that COMMITTED to going to that program! They will come to YOUR players games even here in OHIO!

3) Player's don't get started early enough for recruiting by the D-1 programs .... The BIG programs are recruiting in Middle school 7-8th grade / per NCAA rules these players are more accessible! (yes they are only verbal's but they are on "the radar" by then) with the other part being an illusion is that players want to go to these programs and are good enough! They are far away from home and ALOT of player's want to be within 4 or less hours drive from home (most of the time)

So to sum it up Ohio isn't a joke to these programs ( FYI, yes we looked at most of these and they looked at us) The quote best summed up by my DD was " Alabama is 10+ hrs away, that's far, and you guys wont be able to see me play that much "
So a lot of it is from getting the right fit for the player (remember they have to get a degree in something they can do after!)..... D-1 is hard & its a tough road to get there.
That is why they are so few that make it to that level and stay at that level!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OHIO PLAYERS! KEEP WORKING HARD IN FINDING THE RIGHT FIT!
JMO:cool:

wilsey73

Reaction score
Well I'll allow you to do a game for me if you think it's so easy