Would love input on glove for 10u daughter

yossarian

Reaction score
It's possible I'm overthinking this, but...

We?re looking at new gloves for our 10 year old daughter and would love to get some opinions from those who?ve been here before.

She?s somewhat new to select ball. She?s been playing since this past Spring and landed herself a spot on what I can see is going to be a very good team. For reference, I think her hands and feet tend to be on the large size.

She currently has a size 11 youth glove but it?s a low-end one we got when she was playing rec ball. It?s beat to hell now so it?s good timing as we go into Fall Ball. She also catches but already has a great mitt for that position.

I think she?ll end up playing a range of positions over the next year, but I want to get the right size for infield, and then let the outfield be what it is.

She?s pushing for a larger size like 12.5, but mainly because my wife picked her up a 12.5 glove and she likes the way it looks and feels (the immediate gratification factor mainly). My concern over a larger size is that it?ll be too big for quick fire infield play. She?s not really thinking about the big picture of how it could affect her own play.

What?s making it harder is that there also seems to be a transitional age between 10-12. I?m reading 8-10 year olds should go with youth size gloves and 12 years and above should be going to adult sizes. So given that her hands are probably a little larger than medium for her age, I?m thinking adult is the way to go and adjust the laces as needed. Probably 11.75 or 12?

Any opinions would be much appreciated. Sizing gloves is new territory for me and I?m fallen down a rabbit hole of info online.

Thanks!

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
Hunt down the Glove Doctor at a fall tourney. His glove selection is amazing! Already broken in...will size or modify it on the spot(he unlaced a Wilson, cut a chunk of leather out of the thumb hole relaced it on the spot after my daughter used it for warmups at a game at the spano last winter). And he was the first to tell us he would rather sell us 3 $60.00 gloves that she loves than one 300.00 she doesn't. Worth the effort!

yossarian

Reaction score
Thanks. I've heard great things about the Glove Doctor.

longball00

Reaction score
I second the Shoeless Jane. Game ready when you purchase, and their Female models have the velcro back to adjust the fit. My DD loves hers, and we now have 4 or 5 players on the team using them.

Westler33

Reaction score
My dd has a Louisville Valkyrie 11.75 and she loves it. She is 10 and is 4'7" tall at 80lbs not a big kid but the glove is almost game ready when you get it and it is on the third year of use of rec. and travel ball and is still in great shape for a glove that is not $300 or more.

Ri-domination

Reaction score
My dd has really like her Akadema 12" fa stitch model she has. Not hateful on the price either. Made with good leather seems durable.

wow

Reaction score
I will give a contrarian opinion on the shoeless Jane. True comes in broken in.. But after one season the stitching was coming out and the lining was worn out. Went to Nokona 12" banana tan and never looked back. The glove is built like a tank and will last till college. True you can always buy cheaper but this thing is sweet. Was a little big but she is growing into it. The strings will wear out before the glove does.

The other issue to consider is the 11" ball vs the 12" you may find a smaller gloves works at 10U but then 11U they find they out grow it and need a new one. 12" is about the smallest you can use with the 12". you can get away with the smaller stuff at 10U and younger.

For my kid she wanted something that was light but not flimsy. The Jane would latterly flap in her hand. The Nokona, once broken is a tank!

As a side note.. Nokona makes a x2 12.5 version, which is similar to the Jane (already broken in) but its $300+... And its super light!

Ofcheat04

Reaction score
Website
www.ofcheat.org
My daughter loves her shoeless jane. She's used it 2 years and takes care of it as if it's her baby. No issues what so ever. We Send It Back At The end of the season and the company recondition it. Great gloves with a great price.

frenchy101010

Reaction score
I just bought my daughter a Shoeless Jane yesterday, she should get it wednesday. She is pretty excited.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
No infielder should us a glove that isn't between 11.25 and 11.75. Ever.

I think my kid's 11.75 is too big sometimes.

And the Shoeless Jane reconditioning deal is top notch. They will also relace it if they ever break. I thought it was a brand new glove when I saw it. I had to look really close for signs of wear.