Would you play/coach in the next Olympic Games?

daboss

Reaction score
We are having a very good discussion in another thread about having fastpitch softball return to the Olympic games. Some have raised the point that being a part of the games is really not that important to our sport while others believe it is a huge issue. Many opinions are being shared if you haven't read the thread. The question I want to ask is;

If you had a chance to play or coach in the Olympics, would you do it even if it meant playing in a corn field because the host city did not have a facility for fastpitch?

Please jump in here with your thoughts. I think it will be interesting to see how much value many of you put into being a part of the games.

A second part to my question is;

Would you rather spend money to support and develop a professional program in the USA and forgo any involvement in the Olympics?

flygirlsdad

Reaction score
Olympics is an absolute yes. As to your other question, I believe softball is the women's sport that has the greatest potential to be successful financially as a professional team sport. Look at the ESPN ratings for softball. They have beaten college baseball. At some point I would think sponsors and advertisers would take notice it's also different enough from baseball that the comparisons are harder to make for women vs men in soccer or basketball. The hour and a half game times are made for TV and today's busy society.

daboss

Reaction score
flygirlsdad, why do you believe having the game in the Olympic format is so important? Do you think if fastpitch were a part of the games it would aid in developing the pro clubs or could the pro programs thrive without ever having the Olympics include us?

flygirlsdad

Reaction score
I think the Olympics would help largely with athlete recognition. Softball players became well known and garnered endorsements after prior Olympics. For casual fans and fans new to a sport, that recognition is important. Beach volleyball is a sport that comes to mind that really used the Olympics to become a mainstream professional sport. I don't think the Olympics are a requirement for professional softball success, that could come with the right financial backing and promotion. I look back at all the minor league teams that have come through Cincinnati only to fail in the end from men's and women's soccer, to arena football, and a number of others. Now there is a minor team that is thriving due to the right promotion and business plan of the owners.