Wright State 2006 Coaching Clinic

Wright State University will be conducting their annual softball coaches clinic on Sunday, January 8th from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The cost of the clinic will be $50.00 if registered in advance and $60.00 after December 26th or at the door. The clinic will be held at the Nutter Center (3rd floor) on the campus of WSU.

This years featured speaker will be Bill Hillhouse one of the top U.S. male pitchers and pitching clinicians nationally and internationally. Head coach Mike Larabee and assistant coach Jim Peterson will also be speaking.

Scheduled Topics:

Outfield: Developing the last line of defense (Larabee)
Developing proper pitching mechanics (Hillhouse)
Teaching progression for the left-handed slapper (Peterson)
Drills and Troubleshooting to maximize performance (Hillhouse)
Hitting: Three keys to maximizing your power (Larabee)
Infield: Advanced skills and drills (Peterson)
How to create movement on the ball (Hillhouse)

For information on the clinic and to copy off a brochure click on the following link: http://www.wsuraiders.com/softball/look for coaches clinic. You can also call Coach Larabee at 937 775-2108 for more information.

The hitting camps for Wright State went very well. I've heard many good things from different people on how organized and informative the camp was. I assume the coaches clinic will be the same. It sure is coming up fast!

Does anyone know how last year's coaches clinic went? Would you recommend going this clinic?

Last year's clinic was excellent---the pitching instruction with Doug Gillis was outstanding...this year should be as good. Coach Larabee is outgoing and easy to talk to and he definitely can walk the walk--having played very successfully at high levels. And , he is on Candrea;s staff this year. We have a lot of very good college coaches in Dayton/Springfield/Fairborn, but none can match Coach Larabee's credentials/experience. He is well on his way to turning the Wright State program around. Last year there were about 75 people there and every post on this forum was very favorable.

Attended last years clinic and again I'm looking forward to meeting with Coach Larabee and Coach Peterson. Have been wanting to hear Hillhouse speak for sometime now, so this clinic should be well worth it.
Coach Larabee teaches a different style of slapping and bunting that I have started to implement into my program. Has anyone that has attended one of his clinics started using his style of the short game?
Any other OFC members going to be in attendance? If you do, please stop by and introduce yourself.
Coach Yeater
Northmor Lady Knights
14U Buckeye Heat

I would very much like to be there, but I'm going to be at the Ringor. Coach Yeater, would you mind sharing your notes with me on the hitting and slapping/bunting sessions?

At last years clinic I spent a great deal of time taking notes , so I'll be sure to have pad and pencil in hand JoeA.

JoeA, the Ringor is this weekend? That sounds like a good time as well!!

Thanks Again!
Shayne

Just got home from the clinic, and again I was impressed by Coach Larabee and Coach Peterson. This year they covered outfield play including drills, that alone was worth the cost. They gave numerous new drills specific to indoor practice, that will help come spring time when were in the gym and trying to give the outfield quality reps.
They expanded on their slapping and bunting techniques for the left hand slapper.
Bill Hillhouse was their guest speaker who gave some great tips on the rise ball, drop ball, and changeup. I got the opportunity to catch Bills rise ball. For all you doubters out there, a rise ball does indeed rise, especially when you least expect it, luckily I was able to catch his rise. Bill also throws a tremendous peel drop. The great thing about Bills teaching principles are his delivery never changes from pitch to pitch. It was nice to speak to and get Bills perspective on techniques and approach to ball movement.
It was a great way to spend a Sunday and I'm already looking forward to next year and if you are ever given the opportunity to attend one of Coach Larabee or Coach Petersons clinics you will not be dissappointed.
Coach Yeater

I'll second Coach Yeater's synopsis and add that their enthusiasm for the game, is second only to the knowledge they bring. ?I brought home 5-6 pages of notes (along with all my scribbling on the handouts) on things that I want to try and incorporate into my team's practices and games. ?Generally I am pleased if I get one or two nuggets out of a clinic, so I'm kind of bouncing around mentally right now trying to decide which aspect to teach first.

Must say that I am also impressed by their work ethic. ?In talking with Coach Larabee I gleaned that he and Coach Peterson had both been up at Kent State early Saturday for the Showcase, stayed to watch the first set of games, and the pitching/catching/hitting showcases for the Ringor, drove back to WSU and then were up at 04:00 getting ready for the clinic.

Given their knowledge level, their enthusiasm, and their work effort, it won't be long before they start making some noise in the NCAAs.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks with my DD at their pitching clinic. ?If it's half as good as this clinic, I'll be bouncing off the walls trying to hurry the season along.