Wright State Winter Pitching Camp

Wright State University is hosting a winter pitching camp on January 28th and 29th. This camp will give each pitcher one on one attention with the Wright State Staff.

Each pitcher will sign up for a 45 min. time slot on both days and be evaluated by the Staff. Proper mechanics and a variety of pitches will be emphasized. Pitchers will also receive a written evaluation. A catcher will need to be provided by each pitcher.

This camp is on a first come first serve basis and all age groups and pitching levels are welcome!

My DD came to Wright State's summer pitching camp and learned some good things. She definitely made improvements in a short period of time! I think this new format would make the experience even better.

The format for this camp sounds interesting for pitchers. It seems like they would learn more this way, than in a big group going at once.

Has anyone checked out the brochures on the Wright State website? I was just wondering what anyone else thought about the camps...pitching and hitting.

From what I've heard spots are starting to fill. My DD was excited to go to this camp because she's going to get more one on one instead of a bunch of pitchers in a group.

I believe there are only a couple spots left for this camp.

Anyone have any thoughts on how the camp went? I've heard from a couple people that they really liked it...any other thoughts?

Wright State?s camp was the best college camp my daughter has attended!

My daughter has attended close to a dozen college camps in the last 3 years. She is a high school sophomore interested in playing college ball, so I try to get her to as many college camps as her schedule and my wallet allow. In general, I think college camps are a great opportunity for your daughter to meet the coaches and players and for the coaches to get an upclose look at your daughter.

The cynics will tell you that the camps are just money makers for the colleges. And for the most part, it?s true, although it should be noted that such camps also help promote the sport.

Most of the camps my daughter has attended are setup to get as many attendees ($$$) as possible. They are designed to have attendees from ages 10 to 18. All the girls show up for the same 2-3 hour time slot; the girls are divided up according to age/skill level; one or two college players are assigned to supervise/instruct each group; and the pitching coach and/or head coach move from group to group (maybe occasionally offering some one-on-one attention).

How much coaching/instruction the older girls get out of these kind of camps largely rests on how comfortable the college players are giving coaching/instruction. Quite often my daughter is very bored at these camps, but she recognizes she?s there to meet the coach and to get some exposure.

Wright State?s camp, however, was not your typical college camp. My daughter got one-on-one attention from the team?s pitching coach that was tailored to my daughter?s specific skill level. And the head coach was there throughout, not only watching, but talking -- giving me and my daughter some idea of what kind of person/coach he is.

I?m sure if the Wright State coaches were only looking to make money for their program, they would have set their camp up like most colleges do. Instead, the coaches were there all day Saturday and all day Sunday working one-on-one. I for one was quite impressed!

I too was very impressed. ?Coach Fortune was able to pinpoint and make corrections quickly, and did it in a manner that allowed my DD to feel comfortable with the "failures" as she worked through the changes. ?Coach Larabee was there throughout, and made a point of putting the girls at ease and was genuinely interested in their opinions and goals for the camp. ?As an added bonus, even though ?this was a pitching camp, Coach Peterson spent the sessions working with my catchers on improving their techniques. ?

All of the coaches are excellent communicators and motivators, and this made for a very positive experience for the girls! ?Each came away with some things to work on, quite a bit of added knowledge, and a real desire to work at improving. ?This was one camp that we definitely received way more than we paid for.