Wrong call?

snoman76

Reaction score
Watching the semi final 12u game on tv. Bases loaded I believe and batter smokes one past first base between F3 and F4. Ball passes F3 and hits runner. F4 had no chance to make a play on the ball but the runner was called out. Shouldn't that be a live ball? I guess I'm assuming everyone plays by the same rules..... Which they should.

Comp

Reaction score
Didn't see the play, just going by what I have read on other boards. In any other rule set I am aware of, would not be interference UNLESS another fielder had the opportunity to make a play. Some rule sets do limit this to another infielder, some do not so if F9 was determined to have a play it could still be interference. The general consensus I have read is that this was not interference by most softball rules standards, but, they are also saying LL rules are different and under that sanction it is still interference. Have no idea, do not know what the LL rules are.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I was watching some of the games, but didn't see this play.

I don't work Little League games, so this is speculation on my part. When the ball "passed F3", how close was the ball to the fielder? I do know that some of their softball rules are based on baseball interpretations. Maybe they use the baseball definition of a ball "passing an infielder".

The OBR (official baseball rules) interpretation of a batted ball passing an infielder is that the ball must go "through, or immediately by" the fielder. In other words, it would have to go through the fielder's legs, or pass by within reach of being fielded.

Most softball rule sets (ASA or high school, for example) are a little more liberal in defining "past an infielder". If you draw a line between the two infielders, and the ball goes past that line, it is considered to be past an infielder, even if the ball is well out of reach from being fielded.

Again, didn't see the play and am just taking a guess at why they would call this interference, when most softball rule sets would not.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I guess I'm assuming everyone plays by the same rules..... Which they should.

They don't- not by a long shot!

ASA, NFHS, NCAA, USSSA, LL, NSA, ISF...etc, etc...all have rules and interpretations that are unique to their particular brand of softball. Some of the differences are minor, like uniform requirements or what color your glove can be, and you'd probably never notice them as a casual observer.

But there are some pretty big differences with pitching regulations, substitutions, and other rules that affect the fundamentals of the game. Every year ASA publishes a list of rule differences for their game versus high school and college ball. This list is somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 pages long!

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
Did F9 have a play? Some rule sets specify another infielder has a play (e.g. USSSA) and others just say fielder (e.g. ASA, NCAA, NFHS). I don't know which for LL.

snoman76

Reaction score
With how hard it was hit I would say its possible. I don't recall how deep F9 was playing but I would have to guess that there could of been a play at first.