Wrong uniform number?

We had an interesting situation in Zanesville this past weekend due to an incorrect uniform number reported on the line up card. The player reaches 1ST base safely and scores a runner from 3rd. The opposing coach calls time and indicates to home plate unpire that the DD on 1st base has an incorrect uniform number compared to the lineup card. Her name and batting order are correct, just a wrong jersey number. Umpire suspends game, calls upon the chief umpire, who rules the DD on 1st is OUT and run does not score, end of inning. We plead to both umpires and TD with ASA rule book: correct the number, continue play, without penalty. They disagree and the player is out and run not scored. SO, WHO'S RIGHT?

ASA Rule 3-6-D clearly states there is no penalty - correct the number or change jersey and continue on.

NUMBERS. An Arabic whole number (0-99) of contrasting color, or outlined
in contrasting color, at least six inches high must be worn and visible on the
back of all uniform shirts. No players on the same team may wear identical
numbers. Players without numbers will not be permitted to play. There is no
penalty for a player wearing a wrong number or a duplicate number. Correct
the number in the score book or have the player(s) change jerseys in case of duplication, and continue play.

Any umpire who has been around for two days knows the rule classicpride cited above.

I was guilty of it myself this past week at B.O.B. against a team that could have made it worse than it was. Substitution numbers were wrongly announced. I guess I need to bring the glasses to the fields.... Guilty as charged :)

Bad call! Fix it and play on is the correct answer.

One way we get this point across to new umpires- besides reading the rule, which helps!- is to let them know that the position in the line-up belongs to the PLAYER not the UNIFORM. As long as it is the correct player, there is no penalty.

I know it can drive a scorekeeper nuts trying to match jersey numbers to the score card. Lots of times the coach simply wrote the wrong jersey number on the card - which is easily corrected with a check between scorekeepers the first time through the lineup. Then, it's far easier spotting illegal subs later in the game.

This happens all the time and as JoeA posted, never seen that happen.

Bad call! Fix it and play on is the correct answer.

One way we get this point across to new umpires- besides reading the rule, which helps!- is to let them know that the position in the line-up belongs to the PLAYER not the UNIFORM. As long as it is the correct player, there is no penalty.

Maybe the coach was working the new umpire in to his advantage.;&

I agree, let the kids play. As long as player is on official roster for that tournament and her age is right. Now, the sanctioning body's regional Director could have been contacted to speak w/ the UIC, etc,. It should always be about the kids in matters like these.Sometimes us adults 'cross too may T's and dot I's' when it comes to this sport.

please tell me the offending team didn't lose the game by a run ! Yeah , unless it is a college game or Nationals it should have been corrected, as long as kid was truly in the right batting order.....

No they did not lose by one run, they lost by a few. However this occured in the very first inning, so it's hard to say how it affected the game. On one hand you could say with one run in already and another at 3B, the game could have been won right there. However on the other hand since this occured in the first inning there were 4 or 5 more innings to make up those lost runs. I guess in the end it was a learning opportunity for both coaches and umpires so hopefully it does not happen again.