wvanalmsick was talking about what it takes to play bigtime D1 softball...

Heck - who really knows....

But here are some thoughts from the deap south. After spending the majority of my life in Ohio I was one of the people that thought that if OSU would recruit the 3-4 of the best players in Ohio every year that they would be a much better team. I also thought that there should be more teams playing, or striving to play, in the ASA Nationals. Ohio at that time had only a couple "Gold" teams and a few that went after ASA regularly. I am not sure if that has changed over the last 7 years - but I had an interesting disucssion with the organizers of the Sun Classic. I asked why there weren't any Ohio teams in the event at Disney. Their comment was that they haven't accepted a team from Ohio into their events in years. They went on to frankly state - "not a great softball state". Now we all know that perception is reality in a lot of cases. Unfortunately that is the case related to Ohio Softball. And in my opinion it is misguided. Teams from Ohio have had success at ASA in the past - not sure about recently though. We do have kids playing D1 softball at big schools. We do have good teams but they don't seem to get noticed. I was surprised that there weren't any Ohio teams at Rising Stars this fall. Those type events build reputations among the TD's and the recruiters. These TD's all talk to one another when choosing teams for exclusive events. Its a closed society...lol

The biggest difference I see in Florida is simply that at age 16u there are teams - many teams - that chase ASA and Gold tournaments. And the better players gravitate to those teams. Even if they are not of championship caliber - they play and they get noticed. At the younger ages it is a mess here. The term DADDYBALL was coined here...lol.

Again - it is all about perception. College recruiters will take a southern or western kid over a midwest kid simply because they perceive the kid has played tougher competition. Not always true......

Here is the list of teams playing in the Sun Classic

CA OC Batbusters Gold
CA So Cal Athletics
CA California Cruisers
CA So Cal Choppers
CA Team Smith
CA California Grapettes
CA Valley Breeze
CA California Mizuno Pride
CA California Explosion
CA California Victory USA
CA California Lionettes
CA San Jose Strikkers
AZ Arizona Hot Shots Gatti
OK Tulsa Eagles
TN Tennessee Fury
TX Texas Storm Durham
TX Texas Houston Power
GA East Cobb Bullets
GA Georgia Elite
GA Atlanta Vipers Berry
GA Atlanta Vipers Dean
WA Washington Ladyhawks Miller
WA Washington Lake Breeze
NM New Mexico Sundancers
MA Massachusetts Polar Crush
VA Virginia Shamrocks
VA Vienna Stars
VA Virginia Glory
VA Virginia Legends
IN Indiana Magic Gold
IL Illinois Bash
IL Illinois Chill
IL Illinois Beverly Bandits
IL New Lenox Lightning
CO Colorado Stars
CO Colorado Styxx
MI Michigan Finesse
MN Minnesota Irish
NC Carolina Cardinals
NC Lady Lightning Miken
RI Rhode Island Thunder
PA Pennsbury Gems
PA Philadelphia Spirit
PA Newtown Rock Elite
NY Team Long Island
NY New York Panthers Elite
NJ Jersey Intensity - KOD
NJ Jersey Intensity - DeTuro
NJ Jersey Inferno
NJ Morris County Belles
NJ Jersey Nightmare
NJ Edison Angels
NJ North Jersey Rocks
NJ North Jersey Avalanche
NJ New Jersey Jaxx
NJ Jersey Pride
FL Florida Miami Stringrays
FL Florida Lady Gators Gold
FL Florida Clearwater Lady Bombers
FL Florida Fury
FL Tropic Wave - Morgan
FL Team DeMarini - Stump
FL River City Rebels
FL Gainesville Gold
FL Florida Ultimate Gold
FL Tampa Mustangs
FL Team North Florida

Run another 400,000 jobs out of Ohio and there may not be anymore fastpitch in Ohio!!! California, NJ/NY, Florida has the people and the money to support GOLD play, along with one or two teams from several other states. Bottom line...I don't think that many kids around here strive to play west of the Mississippi, so why travel and spend all the money for very little money in return. Pitchers and a few catchers get the full rides, everyone else get partials...if anything.

When my DD went to WV to play ball over a couple other options her in Ohio, it basically came down to $$$. I flat out told her "you are not going to go to a school and pay them to play softball!!" find a school that will let you play ball without amassing a huge pile of loan debt. We found that in WV...not in Ohio unfortunately.

An aside...DD was asked about walking on at OSU...Didn't have her major of interest, playing time would have been ???, and no scholarship money (to start), so she looked elsewhere. Found a great school with all of the previous mentioned...Playing D1 isn't everything, it has to be the right fit.

Good point about the scholarship money. 12-13 scholarships for fully funded programs that will carry 18-20 players. Do the math. That is why kids have to have the grades. Schools will find academic $$$ for the right players.

I am not saying that gold teams are cheap. But I do know that many of the families that are on those teams do a good job of covering the costs with fund raisers. Sponsorships are way down these days - so teams are getting creative.

Remember that playing for these teams are not always simply about getting college scholarships. Some of these kids are driven to be, and play against, the best in the sport. The only way to truely do that is to play at that level. Just as you stated - playing at a school that doesn't have a major that you are passionate about is really not worth it.

That perception of Ohio is not very accurate in my mind. We played many of the teams listed above and are at least .500 against them one of them lost to my 14U team this fall. We sent some of them home from ASA 16 Nationals with their SEC and Big 12 recruits. Our kids are pretty much all getting D1 scholarships to Ohio,In,Mi,Va schools and we have not broke the bank to get the scholarship. We travel some but not to the point of flying somewhere every week end. I think our kids are happy with what they have received and will get a chance to go in and contribute to the team they are with. Shane is right about trying to go to school and not graduate with huge debt. The ultimate goal should be the education.

the reality is we have great major D-1 talent , it ****s that the perception is we only have mid major D-1 type kids. or no depth at the top level when actually we have as much as any other state out there (except for the evil empire of fastpitch) .

I see NJ sending 12 teams to this showcase --Does anyone think NJ produces better players than Ohio (having said that I'd venture to guess that 50 % or more of those players are not from jersey) MN and Michigan are sending a team -- there is no comparison in the depth of talent in Mn and Mich VS Ohio.

Virg sending 4 teams ? they do have some good org's but no way there overall talent is better than ohio.

Ohio does have depth. Just need those blazing the gold trail to keep up the hard work. It is appreciated by those of us with younger players who will ultimately benefit. MD

Many of the kids on these Gold teams accept the same type college scholarships as the kids from Ohio do. They go to the same second teir D1 schools as Ohio kids do.

I can tell you that I didn't see as many Ohio teams at ASA Nationals as I used to see. Is there a reason - or am I just not noticing?

Many of the Florida teams listed in this tournament are just good 18u teams. You don't see the Gold Coast Hurricanes, Team FLA, etc there for some reason.

eagleone - I know Ohio can compete. But don't confuse the teams you play in 16u ASA with the Gold rosters you see, or what they will be playing with in the spring. The top line Gold teams (here anyway) rebuild their rosters every fall - and then add to it in the spring. Only a few kids remain the same.

BTW - the organizers of these events are from NY/NJ !!!! That might be why you see so many from their - don't know.

That perception of Ohio is not very accurate in my mind. We played many of the teams listed above and are at least .500 against them one of them lost to my 14U team this fall. We sent some of them home from ASA 16 Nationals with their SEC and Big 12 recruits. Our kids are pretty much all getting D1 scholarships to Ohio,In,Mi,Va schools and we have not broke the bank to get the scholarship. We travel some but not to the point of flying somewhere every week end. I think our kids are happy with what they have received and will get a chance to go in and contribute to the team they are with. Shane is right about trying to go to school and not graduate with huge debt. The ultimate goal should be the education.

I agree Flarays. I am not sure if you remember me, but I had the kid several years ago that was in Florida from Ohio and you allowed her to work out with your team and actually play a game with your then 10 or 11U fla Rays....Great group of kids and coaches. That kid is now a Jr and has committed to an Ohio College. She is also playing with a Chicago Gold team. Her team is a new gold team, but from within a long standing organization. They haven't quite gotten to the upper bracket of the gold level like the Bandits, but they are making headway. You are completely right about the hiearchy of the gold level. We are hoping to earn our way to the higher levels next summer. You just don't "happen" into a bracket, you earn your way into it. Bill Conroy has been an awesome "neighboring" team who has his hand in a number of kid's futures....regardless of team association. DD chose her college before she committed to the gold team, so it isn't about getting looks. It is about playing the best teams one can play and learning to pitch to very good hitters. Alot of the 16s and 18U teams in Ohio are playing exposure tournaments to gain looks at colleges and it doesn't seem as competitive as the gold tournaments.

The gold schedule seems to be like the Nationals every weekend. The daughter's gold team is coached by former college players and managed by a current college coach. Parent input isn't really necessary or expected. That was different for me initially, but now, I wouldn't have it any other way. It is the business of softball.

Great personal experience - that is awesome. Of course I remember you and your daughter. That team ended up being pretty good btw.

Congrats - if you get down here let me know.

We got to see a few Gold teams from Cali at Rising Stars. There really is no comparison between those teams and good 18u A teams.

I agree Flarays. I am not sure if you remember me, but I had the kid several years ago that was in Florida from Ohio and you allowed her to work out with your team and actually play a game with your then 10 or 11U fla Rays....Great group of kids and coaches. That kid is now a Jr and has committed to an Ohio College. She is also playing with a Chicago Gold team. Her team is a new gold team, but from within a long standing organization. They haven't quite gotten to the upper bracket of the gold level like the Bandits, but they are making headway. You are completely right about the hiearchy of the gold level. We are hoping to earn our way to the higher levels next summer. You just don't "happen" into a bracket, you earn your way into it. Bill Conroy has been an awesome "neighboring" team who has his hand in a number of kid's futures....regardless of team association. DD chose her college before she committed to the gold team, so it isn't about getting looks. It is about playing the best teams one can play and learning to pitch to very good hitters. Alot of the 16s and 18U teams in Ohio are playing exposure tournaments to gain looks at colleges and it doesn't seem as competitive as the gold tournaments.

The gold schedule seems to be like the Nationals every weekend. The daughter's gold team is coached by former college players and managed by a current college coach. Parent input isn't really necessary or expected. That was different for me initially, but now, I wouldn't have it any other way. It is the business of softball.

Orland Park A's? You "happen" to get in the brackets because of years of success, not by being a "Gold" team for 3 months and think you will move into the main "diamond" in 9 months. I for one, dont understand why you would make that move to the A's, as the Lasers, Nightmare, and a few other teams are far more successful and have a better following than the A's. The A's and Beverly Bandits are on totally different levels. Just being honest about it, since you wanted to make a correlation between the two teams.
Going to the Bandits I can understand, but the A's.. dont get that one.

I have some questions for the experienced gold parents.

1. What does a true gold schedule consist of? What are some of the tourney's you play in

2. Are there more coaches at gold tournaments than 16u showcases

3. If you are a new gold team is it really that hard to get into the tournamensts

4. Since most of the girls on gold teams seem to be playing out of state how much traveling are you doing

5. What is the best age to go gold

6. Is gold more about the compitetion or getting seen by colleges

7. How the heck do you get a true gold level team in Ohio!!

Thanks

Wow M3...angry? Read my post...."They haven't quite gotten to the upper bracket of the gold level like the Bandits, but they are making headway. You are completely right about the hiearchy of the gold level. We are hoping to earn our way to the higher levels next summer. You just don't "happen" into a bracket, you earn your way into it."

Sorry, if you read that to imply that we are on the same level as the Bandits. Clearly we are not...we don't get placed into the brackets they do. It is what I said....we are hoping to earn our way to the higher levels. That doesn't imply anything, except that we are hoping to play well enough to get placed in higher brackets than where we are currently placed as we work through the summer and into the years that follow.

It has been a great decision so far and I have gained a tremendous amount of respect for the teams in Illinois. The same type of respect I have for many of the Ohio teams. The kids on this A's team are awesome kids and it has been a very good fall for the kids. The summer will be much more difficult and hopefully, we will win a few games.

arguing Ill. fastpitch on the OFC --I just thought I had seen it all LOL MD

Actually MD...not arguing, felt like responding to Flarays as he was a total stranger in the past that helped my daughter along the way....for the love of softball and an Ohio connection. That involvement from Flaray's team helped my daughter keep playing ball and expanded her world a bit as a young player. Not sure what other's agenda is, but mine is to support the discussion. I am not arguing that one team is better than the other, but that this particular team is a good fit for my daughter.

Opinions added

I have some questions for the experienced gold parents.

1. What does a true gold schedule consist of? What are some of the tourney's you play in

** It depends.

2. Are there more coaches at gold tournaments than 16u showcases

** No comparison. Gold is the top of the line - coaches flock to the games.

3. If you are a new gold team is it really that hard to get into the tournamensts

** Yes a bit. But if you do well you get noticed.

4. Since most of the girls on gold teams seem to be playing out of state how much traveling are you doing

** Don't know about there but there are a lot of Gold events in the SE. It all depends on what your goals are.

5. What is the best age to go gold

** Gold is 18u

6. Is gold more about the compitetion or getting seen by colleges

** Both

7. How the heck do you get a true gold level team in Ohio!!

** Just declare Gold

Thanks

i was just having some fun , not attempting to make fun. no harm I hope. Best of luck to you and your dd , she is a dandy. MD

Are either of these teams playing Premier? There is a huge difference in gold today and gold two years ago.

When my DD went to WV to play ball over a couple other options her in Ohio, it basically came down to $$$. I flat out told her "you are not going to go to a school and pay them to play softball!!" find a school that will let you play ball without amassing a huge pile of loan debt. We found that in WV...not in Ohio unfortunately.

An aside...DD was asked about walking on at OSU...Didn't have her major of interest, playing time would have been ???, and no scholarship money (to start), so she looked elsewhere. Found a great school with all of the previous mentioned...Playing D1 isn't everything, it has to be the right fit.

Well said!

Something else to consider that I havent seen posted, and you can go to college softball forum to see who went where from what gold team, and believe it or not,,,,,,,,,,,, thay are not all BCS colleges that gold players go to....... some kids go to as MD said lower tier D1 programs. Mine went to her college over a bcs school because of money and the fact she can get her degree in 4 instead of 5 years, Plain simple fact was the college of her choice offered more money than any big 10 or SEC school that came calling...........

My point is that many of these "Gold" teams are just Gold because they declared it. They are no better than some of the good 16U and 18U teams. We have played some of the 18 "Gold" teams the last two fall seasons and have beaten most when having our full roster and even beat a few when using our 14 year olds to fill in the roster. I agree that the top 20 or 30 Gold teams are at a different level than the others. I guess we will see how we do at the Premier qualifier next summer.