"Yer dippin' yer shoulder!" -- more idiocy

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I hear it after every pop up that someone hits.

"You keep dippin' yer shoulder!!!"

Where did this come from???

dippin.jpg

You kind of have to "dip your shoulder" if the ball is thrown under your hands and you don't want to swing over top of it.

Dougk30

Reaction score
I wouldn't call that a dip I would call that a lean with good shoulder rotation. I believe you have to lean to hit the low pitch but shoulders stay square to the spine always. I see alot of dipping shoulders where the shoulder is not square with the spine and it forces the barrel of the bat to drop below the hands to soon. Just my thoughts

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Are you sure pop ups don't happen because they hit the bottom of the ball though?

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Seriously. I've seen some of the ugliest swings in the wide world make great contact and drive a ball to the fence on the fly. 2 weeks ago I saw a girl do a 360 in the box and the ball damned near cleared the fence in centerfield.

I've also seen some of the best, most mechanically sound swings send one 10' out and 45' up.

I don't think a "dipped shoulder" has a whole lot to do with it. It's something someone heard one time and they repeat it because reasons.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I like saying "good eye" when it rolls over the plate from about 12 feet out.

I follow it with

"Hey,, that's the way to lay off that low stuff..."

or

"Move up in the box..." ;)

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
We have a few girls in school ball who get the "Good cut, your just a little late on it" as they swing wildly after the ball is already in the catchers mitt. Sometimes the poor catcher has to wait to throw the ball back till they've finished that good cut.

- I do Like "Move up in the box" alot -

Last edited:

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I love it when "good cut" is followed by "now straighten it out."

The wrestling equivalent of this is "SQUEEEEZE!!!"

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
It's fun to mix and match - Like "Good Cut - Move up in the box - Your dipping your shoulder"

Why does no one yell GOOD EYE when some one hits the ball?

crystlemc

Reaction score
I think "That's not your pitch" may be my very favorite.

crystlemc

Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of "Make her pitch to you". I just want to say "What the h3ll do you think the pitcher is doing??" I will say, I sit FAAAAARRRRR away from the parents on DD's HS team because the stupid things that come from their mouths, make me want to pull my hair out. If they are by the backstop, I'm at the outfield fence. If they're at the outfield fence, I'm by the backstop. I find it difficult to bite my tongue sometimes.

manitoudan

Reaction score
my cringe worthy favorite is more related to defense .. and I hear it continually " NOTHING HURT " and the 1B, 2B, 3B , SS , C , P , RF , CF and LFers continue to suck it up and kick it , miss it , bobble it , chuck it , and in general set the other team to steal a W that should be our teams . Every error hurts , some just more than others . I have started to offend some players by correcting their " nothing hurt ' BS by saying yes , It Hurts . It is costing us victories .

snoman76

Reaction score
I get what everyone is saying but is it really a bad thing for a coach to say words of encouragement to their players to help set their minds at ease and move on?

yossarian

Reaction score
The stuff that gets to me isn't one comment as much as a series of comments from a parent on every single pitched or caught. You know the types: the ones that think it's a video game and they're controlling their kid's every move. "Your foot's turned! Turn it! No! The other way. 45?!! A little more to the left. Now your heel's off the ground!! You took an extra step!!! Throw the mask if you need to! GAME SPEED! GAME SPEED!!!!! I don't care that it's foul!"

Can you tell I just watched that hot mess over the weekend?

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
I get what everyone is saying but is it really a bad thing for a coach to say words of encouragement to their players to help set their minds at ease and move on?

I don't think its a problem to say any of these things especialy if it is the case - She is "Dipping her shoulder" or it was "A good cut" it's when they are empty coaching and your just filling the space with them. It makes it harder to do real coaching. If every time a girl is up and pops a ball up because shes eary and not keeping her head level at contact you yell watch your shoulder or shes way out on her front foot swinging wildly you say "good cut" thats Bad -

Last edited:

FastBat

Reaction score
"Move back in the box!" Yep, that's why the player missed the ball, too far up in the box. That extra 1-2 feet will allow the player to see the ball much better. Plus, all that extra time to react to the ball.

FastBat

Reaction score
I have started to offend some players by correcting their "nothing hurt" BS by saying, "Yes, it hurts. It's costing us victories."
Oh my, I would bet that's going over like a lead balloon!

crystlemc

Reaction score

Mine are pretty much all from ding dongs in the stands. Last night, I kept hearing an opposing fan keep repeating, "Now you've seen it". Well, I would certainly hope she saw it, but chances are, she's not getting that pitch again right away.

However, the opposing coach also yelled "Nice shoot!" after almost every pitch her pitcher threw. I wanted to pull her tongue out by the end of the game. We won, by the way.

tankerlab

Reaction score
I hear it after every pop up that someone hits.

"You keep dippin' yer shoulder!!!"

Where did this come from???

View attachment 1576

You kind of have to "dip your shoulder" if the ball is thrown under your hands and you don't want to swing over top of it.
Water runs down hill... Strong back side...