Yet another HS softball rant

CoachTEA

Reaction score
Folks - at the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, I have to air a gripe. Last night I missed a great game between two of the undefeated teams in the GMC. As I understand Mason beat Lakota East 4-0 behind some great pitching from Elle Buffenbarger. I have it on very good authority that the Lakota East girls were required to drive back to the high school and lift weights??!!! My question is simply: WHY???!!!! I mean Whiskey Tango Foxtrot; what is the benefit to the athlete to lift weights after playing in a softball game? Was this conditioning? Was this punishment? Elle threw an one-hitter; maybe you should work on hitting and bunting instead of "bulking up" (even then I would not do it after a game). What about homework? What about other forms of conditioning? Why risk injury? Several of these girls have already committing to playing college; where does this make any sense? At what point in time do the parents and players stand up to this coach and enough is enough?

Irish196

Reaction score
Folks - at the risk of beating the proverbial dead horse, I have to air a gripe. Last night I missed a great game between two of the undefeated teams in the GMC. As I understand Mason beat Lakota East 4-0 behind some great pitching from Elle Buffenbarger. I have it on very good authority that the Lakota East girls were required to drive back to the high school and lift weights??!!! My question is simply: WHY???!!!! I mean Whiskey Tango Foxtrot; what is the benefit to the athlete to lift weights after playing in a softball game? Was this conditioning? Was this punishment? Elle threw an one-hitter; maybe you should work on hitting and bunting instead of "bulking up" (even then I would not do it after a game). What about homework? What about other forms of conditioning? Why risk injury? Several of these girls have already committing to playing college; where does this make any sense? At what point in time do the parents and players stand up to this coach and enough is enough?

Wow- if that what happens with that coach and a 4-0 loss, if he were the coach of my daughter's team, he would have had to break out the guillotine after last night's game.

larrybowman

Reaction score
Wow- if that what happens with that coach and a 4-0 loss, if he were the coach of my daughter's team, he would have had to break out the guillotine after last night's game.

HAHAHA.... Thats funny right there! I know the feeling as well! Honestly though CoachTEA, I agree with you. I dont see where that helps them from a 4-0 loss.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
This coach is failing his kids by being reactive, it what happens when you don't have a plan.

A little while before the season starts you should come up with a plan and stick with it, there's no emotion involved that way. If they planned to lift weights after that particular game, well what are you going to do? It kind of doesn't sound like they did though.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
And before anyone who posts here tells me the coach is always right, etc. that coaching style came to me directly from the mouth of THE coach.

I don't care how good you are at what you do, if you won the sparkler, stingrays, lasers, and whatever else all in the same summer, or if you're on your 2nd or 3rd time through with the same travel ball organization.

Cael Sanderson > you.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Few High School programs have what Lakota EAST has...check out their website below.
Coach Castner has had a lot of success (nowhere near what his brother has had at WEST) but, they are good and his past teams would beat most 16/18u travel teams. Kind of like Mason, WEST and some of the other top GMC teams the past 10 years...

He may be a jerk, (IDK) but, he may be a jerk that has built a strong program that competes faround the State at D1....

http://eastthunderhawks.com/softball

http://www.gmcsports.com/confStandings.aspx?satc=35

http://westfirebirds.com/softball

Last edited:

CoachTEA

Reaction score
CARDS - he benefits from a very large enrollment and players from several select organizations: Beverly Bandits, MV Xpress, Doom, Freedom Elite, Static, Blazers, etc. I am more impressed with HS teams that do more with less talent to choose from (like GMC Coach of the Year Jackie Cornelius-Bedel from Oak Hills).