Yoiur opinion of the commentary on the CWS ?

manitoudan

Reaction score
Late in the game with two out in a tie game with a runner already on 1b , one of the girls ask " you think they might intentionally walk her " ? I mean Yeah put the winning run on 2b . And dishing all kinds of praise for the Florida hitter that hit the lazy fly ball that OU didnt catch. Seems like they just talk to be talking . Count me not impressed .

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Totally agree. Most of the announcers have no real idea of basic strategy. Just because they were great players doesn't mean they understand game strategy.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I prefer to think that some of the announcers who played the game for many years just say some stupid things in an effort to say something on what would otherwise be dead air space vs. that's something they would really think about or do in a game if they were coaching or playing, but unfortunately you're probably right about some of them, Joe.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about Beth Mowen that irritates the cr@p out of me. Maybe it's the know-it-all attitude. Or that voice...

okiedad1961

Reaction score
I agree some of the commentary is annoying,but lets not sound a little sexist here in our criticism,games like the one we saw last night help our sport.

manitoudan

Reaction score
Yes the game was FANTASTIC ! , but they suggest some of the silliest things , Has nothing to do with sexism , dont even understand why that word needs to be in this thread . I dont appreciate that at all.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Yes the game was FANTASTIC ! , but they suggest some of the silliest things , Has nothing to do with sexism , dont even understand why that word needs to be in this thread . I dont appreciate that at all.
By not calling out our past Stars of the game by name and there commentary and not keeping it a general conversation would help .There's certainly still some men that think there the know all's in this game,maybe a few on this site.

daboss

Reaction score
I believe coachjwb is right on spot here.

Personally, I think they know the game well and in some eyes times of silence would be just as effective as an irrational comment but you have to remember they are reaching out to a broad-based crowd. In their own way perhaps the right strategy is actually being shared as their back and forth commentary normally dispels what would be a bad choice over a good strategic decision. To be quite frank, I've watched some college coaches pull a few boners in their day while the commemoration would try to explain the reasoning for going that direction. It's like they want to support it no matter as if they are covering the brotherhood of coaches and protecting them. The ex-baseball player Krunk I think was his name used to rib a decision he considered bad but in some cases it was unfounded due to his lack of knowing fastpitch and its strategy instead of thinking baseball strategy. He was getting better but simply wasn't going to make it with his overall chauvinist attitude. Except for Mendosa, the other lady commentators were not happy with him. He's fine in baseball. Mowen is the female sports analyst like Bob Costas and she's going to be here for a long time. She crosses the line and does men's sports and I doubt we'll ever see her not be in the booth unless she decides to not be there. In the big picture, that would not be good for softball.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
In my case, I wasn't being sexist. I don't like Beth Mowen as a commentator.

I don't like Jon Gruden doing football games. I don't like Dick Vitale doing college basketball.

Actually, I prefer former fastpitch players doing womens college world series over some washed up baseball player trying to make us believe that he knows what he's talking about.

Julie

Reaction score
When Delanie Gourley came on to pitch, they popped a bio box up on the screen for her. It said which pitches she excelled at and such and then -- seriously -- it said: Infectious personality. Now when have you ever seen those two words used to describe any baseball pitcher or player and what does that have to do with her ability to pitch?

JoeA1010

Reaction score
I liked Kruk. I'd love to be able to go back and re-watch some of the games he did to see whether my memory is accurate. He brought up a lot of great points and asked great questions. For example, he asked why there are so many meetings in softball. It's a great question. We have FAR more trips to the mound, offensive conferences, team meetings in front of the dugout at the end of a half-inning, etc., in softball than they do in baseball. Why? And I can guarantee Kruk would have been questioning the constant intentional walks in the supers, rather the simpleton analysis of "She's got 15 home runs, I agree with walking her."

The announcing has gotten much better in the last 5 years, but we are still in the mode of "infectious personality!" for players and almost totally refusing to question the decisions of coaches. Walton makes around $400,000, Gasso is around $500,000. They can be questioned. If an analyst adopts the attitude of "I can't question Tim Walton or Patty Gasso since they know more about the game than I do," then don't take the job.

I watch a ton of MLB and also MLB Network in the studio at night. I am used to strong analysis and non-fawning coverage. I guess my expectations for our game are too high.

wow

Reaction score
Its much better than Curt shilling was.. He was Terrible. A old baseball guy comparing all his glory days and trying to relate to fastputch..

FastBat

Reaction score
When Delanie Gourley came on to pitch, they popped a bio box up on the screen for her. It said which pitches she excelled at and such and then -- seriously -- it said: Infectious personality. Now when have you ever seen those two words used to describe any baseball pitcher or player and what does that have to do with her ability to pitch?
Yuck! NCAA has commercials saying, "genders don't play sports, athletes do." Then they have stuff like that on the player's bios. I don't understand it!

He brought up a lot of great points and asked great questions. For example, he asked why there are so many meetings in softball. It's a great question. We have FAR more trips to the mound, offensive conferences, team meetings in front of the dugout at the end of a half-inning, etc., in softball than they do in baseball. Why?
Because women are communicators.

I loved seeing Mendoza. She is young and hip! I think they should have more announcers like her and Scarborough. I don't mind the guys, I don't necessarily think it has to be all women, but they should have a good understanding of the game because it is different than baseball.

Last edited:

rangers00

Reaction score
Had to listen to the games on NCAA.com and I thought they did a great job. Kevin Kugler was a great color man and Leah O'Brien Amico brought experience and knowledge . They really fed of each other I thought .