you make the call.

runner on third, leads off is about 1/3 of the way home on the pitch, Catcher has ball walks towards runner runner stays put. catcher lobs ball to pitcher, runners takes off for home on the throw, girls is safe. Other coac complains to ref, ref says if the girls did not come home she would be out. He says she must come home cannot return to base on throw to pitcher.

The runner has to make an immediate choice when the ball is back in the circle. Either immediately go back to the base, or advance. She chose to score, which is what I would have had my runner do if the catcher didn't run her back to 3rd. Just good aggressive base running IMO.

No doubt good play by the baserunner. Look back does not take affect until the ball is in the possesion of defensive player in the circle and no more attempts are made on the runner.

Complaining coach is clueless...

Runner scores.

This is a perfectly legal- and heads-up!- play.

Coach complaining did not bother me just the umpire saying she would be out if she did not go home. Kept me from doing it again in fear of ump calling her out.

Ooops...I misread that part. Umpire might have been clueless, too!

Breaking it down...

"Runner on third, leads off is about 1/3 of the way home on the pitch"

Everything's cool so far...

"Catcher has ball walks towards runner runner stays put"

Still cool...

"Catcher lobs ball to pitcher"

Now we're finally getting to the meat of the question! There is nothing up to this point to restrict the runner's movement or force her to go one way or the other

The Look Back Rule goes into effect the instant the pitcher has the ball in the circle (and is not making a play). If the runner is off the bag and in motion at that instant, she still is allowed to stop one time, then immediately either advance to the next base or go back to the last one. She could keep moving forward to within one inch of the plate, then stop and head directly back to third. Or, just keep on heading to home. Her choice and all perfectly legal.

If the coach complained about the runner's move, his complaint was groundless. If the umpire said she would have been out if she had headed back to third, that isn't right either.