you make the call

This happened in a baseball game this weekend and I know this is a softball forum, but alot of rules are similar in baseball and softball

Runner in a pickle (run down) between 3rd and home. about the whole team is involved, during the run down the catcher is chasing the runner. catcher throws to teammate and stands there. runner runs into catcher. they are belly to belly. after a couple more throws the runner is tagged out. Is this obstruction on the defensive team and the runner gets home. the umpire was not sure of the call so made none. I questioned the umpire about obstruction and he said after the game he was not sure of the call. At least the ump was honest.

If the catcher did not have the ball and the runner was hindered in his path to the base, then yes, it is obstruction.

Definitely obstruction. My DD was run into during a similar situation, but in this case the runner did it intentionally to get the base. It was counted as an error against my DD.

Yes, obstruction based on your description. Speaking off pickles, I've had two this year in which my defense made 8 throws in each case to get the out!! Now that's good coaching!! LOL at myself.

amazing how much I've forgot about simple rules because I no longer follow baseball , at least very closely. MD

Yes, obstruction based on your description. Speaking off pickles, I've had two this year in which my defense made 8 throws in each case to get the out!! Now that's good coaching!! LOL at myself.

If we could get 8 throws on a single pickle at 10u I'd be singing all the way to some sanctioned WS! Seriously, I'm guessing forcing the runner all the way to the back is not an option......hi-jack, I know, but curious????

Yes, obstruction. I guess that should be obvious when they did a "sumo" bell splash...Please add this to the Darwin List of Blown Umpire Calls.... OMG.

Sometimes they just don't get it. We drill run downs every day (HS JV level), using only 1 throw. We get in a game, and they throw it 1,000 times. I just sit back and laugh myself silly at them. Then they get "the stare".

To answer the original question as written, Obstruction.