You make the call

Bases loaded. Two outs.

Batter has two strikes.

Batter swings and it's a clean miss but after missing the ball, it continues to hit her on the leg.

There's a different one for you. Bretman where are you?

The batter didn't run because she didn't know what to do. Our catcher has picked up the ball and is standing on home plate a tad confused. Umpire sent her to first and said it's the same thing as a dropped third strike??? She was safe because our catcher didn't throw the ball to first but...get this....the runner from third was safe even though our catcher was standing on homeplate with the ball ! I'm like really?? In effect he awarded her a walk even though she clearly had struck out. We are in an 18+ tourney and most play in college so none of us are completely rules stupid. It wasn't worth fussing over because he wasn't going to change his mind and the field umpire was clueless. Dayton ASA.....

Wow! Happened to us at lasers this past weekend. Screw ball high and tight, girl swings and in the process is hit in the shoulder. Umpire said strike, even if it hit her, she was swinging.....

Amazing. That defies logic. In effect a batter gets rewarded for striking out..if she can manage to get hit. I understand some things rarely happen and in 12 years this is a first but to give her the base AND a run scores? Duh

I assume he ruled it as hit by pitch ... in which case, if he had been correct, it wouldn't matter if catcher is standing on plate ... though if he actually said she could have got her out by throwing to 1B, he is truly clueless ... no idea ...

I assume he ruled it as hit by pitch ... in which case, if he had been correct, it wouldn't matter if catcher is standing on plate ... though if he actually said she could have got her out by throwing to 1B, he is truly clueless ... no idea ...

He didn't and that was what made it even crazier. He said it was the same as a dropped third strike. Our catcher is standing on home plate with the ball and he ADVANCED the runner to first because she didn't throw it down and he ADVANCED the runner from third to score a run. Really? It's like we were penalized because she didn't throw it to first. If he wanted to award her first so be it but to allow the runner on third to score? That was the real kicker.

Anytime a pitch touches any part of the batter's person or clothing it is an immediate dead ball.

Anytime a batter swings at a pitch and misses it is a strike.

Put them all together and what have you got? A dead ball and a strike! Since this was strike three, the batter would be out. No catch of the ball necessary, no award of first base for getting hit and no advancement of any base runners.

So...how did the protest turn out? ;&

Dead ball strike. Runners may not advance. Well I think he said there were two outs so tho obv ended the inning.
Ball is dead any time it hits the batter. Strike because of the swing.
Could also be a dead ball strike of the ball hit the batter without her swinging if the contact was made in the strike zone and the batter made no attempt to move (NSA).

Could also be a dead ball strike of the ball hit the batter without her swinging if the contact was made in the strike zone and the batter made no attempt to move (NSA).

If the pitch hits the batter in the strike zone it's always a strike, attempt to move or not. In this case, the batter's attempt to avoid the ball is irrelevant.

If the pitch hits the batter in the strike zone it's always a strike, attempt to move or not. In this case, the batter's attempt to avoid the ball is irrelevant.

Of course the umpire has to know what the strike zone is. Honestly, these girls are over 18 and I don't think he could see half the pitches. We didn't even protest because they were there to have fun and it just wasn't worth the aggravation. I discussed this to the ump in a calm manner then walked away. I understand honest mistakes but you can't fix stupid and the field umpire was just as oblivious.

Coach2....sorry not trying to hijack, but I have seen 3 games in the last 2 weekends where it was obvious that the girl leaned into the pitch and is being awarded 1B as the umps don't believe that a girl would do this. All 3 pitches were inside change ups, 2 of the 3 should have been called strikes but they put their knee out and got hit, the other was over the plate but high and she bent down and turned her shoulder into the pitch. I know the rule changed that the batter doesn't have to make an attempt to get out of the way, but these were change-ups over the plate.

I am just wanting to confirm if its a strike over the plate and the batter gets hit its still a strike. The 3 umps we have had this happen with have not been on the same page.

It isn't relevant to the original situation, but since it was brought up, with bases loaded, two outs and two strikes, I always yell out to my catcher to step on home plate on a dropped third strike. The purpose is to remind the umpire that this is a force out. I'm sure 99% of the umpires we have already know this, but I'm not interested in taking a chance on the one who doesn't know it. When I coached at Thomas Worthington, I saw our baseball team lose a game on just this play. Top of the 7th, two outs, bases loaded, dropped third, catcher steps on home and umpire doesn't know rule or has simply forgotten. Catcher is looking at ump and he never makes a call, and then catcher proceeds to throw the ball over the first baseman's head and two runs score for the lead, which is how the game ended.

I always yell out to my catcher to step on home plate on a dropped third strike. The purpose is to remind the umpire that this is a force out.

Isn't it a shame that we have to do this? I would do the same thing...

I tried to explain this to my 11U parents.

A batter fouled one off on a swing off there hands. The catcher caught it and the umpire correct ruled no out dead ball (was strike 1). My parents wanted none of that. The pitchers parent started screaming about hands being part of the bat....ect. It is painful. I almost had to come out of the dugout to calm him down. Gotta love pitcher Dads and Moms. Without them you can not play with them you get no peace.

Joe ... how could the game have possibly ended on that? If the ump didn't know the rule, but if either of the umps actually saw the catcher step on home plate, that would be easy enough to reference and have gotten the call right. I'm assuming it was discussed, but then the umpires didn't actually see the step on the plate which would have ended the game before the throw was made? Or the baseball coach didn't know the rule either and/or didn't realize until too late that the catcher had stepped on the plate. I know this could ordinarily be protested, but if I remember right there's no protests in high school softball and baseball, right? It's just unfathomable to me that the game could have ended on that ...

Right. No protests in OHSAA baseball or softball.

That's a crazy end to a game, but I've seen crazier stuff!