Your thoughts about becoming an official

After putting my butt on the field and in the stands for many years, I am finding myself out of sports because my daughter has seen too many birthdays. (And watching her play in the Beer League with her friends from college isn't quite the same.)

I'm considering getting into Officiating. Softball and/or Volleyball.

For the people who have done this, what are the pro's and con's? It wouldn't be for the money - more like keeping up with the sports my daughter (and I) grew up with.

Opinions, please.

(Please don't say "get into coaching". Been there. Done that. I don't need the aggravation. )

(Please don't say "get into coaching". Been there. Done that. I don't need the aggravation. )

'Cause we all know there is NO aggravation in being an official! LMAO

I say go for it - someone has to!

I am a basketball official and I can tell you it is a great way to keep up with the game. It isn't about the money because when you factor in gas and time it really doesn't amount to much. It is a good way to stay fit too. I know there is a lot of us who aren't in shape. LOL. All sports need good officials, Lord knows how many of us have had umpires that we would like to replace. LOL. Just remember you are in it for the kids when you are getting yelled out from the stands.LOL.
Good luck.

I'd do it just to be able to plss off ahole coaches. It would be ..."priceless". ha

be sure and keep your eye exams up to date and carry the exam grade with you at all times.

I started 3 years ago doing HS baseball and softball and have really enjoyed it. You get a great seat for some good games and as long as you hustle and know the rules everything normally goes fairly smooth. I don't do a lot of games because my DD is still playing, but when the day comes she is done I will probably start umping 3-4 games per week. It's never any problem finding games.

Give it a shot. Think it would be nice to have umpires that had some coaching experience.

That's my plan when my kids are done playing. I enjoy umpiring the games, I have no dog in the fight and it is much more relaxing.

What a great way to give back to the sport that gave you so many memories. If more people had the same attitude, fastpitch would flourish forever. I took a different approach by evaluating the game to see what would help give something back and help it grow. Officiating was of course at the top of my list while the other seemed just as needed----pitching instruction. I studied all the material a guy could get his hands on, then was blessed with an offer to travel to Chattinooga, Tenn. and learn pitching instruction from Ernie Parker. I felt like it was my destiny as this chance had never been offered this far east before. Some times the stars just seem to line up and give you opportunity. I saved my money, made the trip, took a test while there and was rated a certified instructor by a panel of my peers. I don't believe the same opportunity has ever been offered since and I have worked with more young Jennie Finch wannabe's than I can count.

Thank you Lord for helping me on my journey. I hope you choose to give back by officiating and become the best umpire you can be while knowing in your heart you're doing the right thing. Then enjoy every play as you watch how excited the girls and their families get for every game!

I know a Dad who did this for the exact same reasons and he is so happy with his decision. He loves it.

How do you actually become a ref? I know the ASA sight has some references, but I have not really found a "path" or school(s), etc. I was wanting to do this also, partly for the fun, to make me a better coach and in keeping up with rules and such.

Go to OHSAA.org there's a menu for "officiating", then follow your nose

They have a section for "beginning ref's" which tells you how/when to take their classes.

There may be other paths to get your blue shirt, but this is the one I'm considering.