You're in the middle of some daddy ball / 10u BS when....

mike_dyer

Reaction score
I started to post this in the "reset button thread" but I kind of hope it grows some legs of its own and I didn't want to hijack all of the other posts.

If I could hit the reset button I would put more emphasis on avoiding daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS in all of its various forms at all costs.

For example:

- Personally, I wouldn't have chewed my own kid's *** so much whilst coaching her. Naturally, I used all of the excuses you hear from every daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS coach out there and they seemed to make perfect sense at the time. "I'm harder on her because I know what she's capable of",and other assorted garbage like that. Bottom line, it was daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS and I was 100% responsible for creating it. If you find yourself saying or even thinking crap like that to justify your behavior do everyone around you, especially your kid, a huge favor and take a few big steps back. You will thank me later, and in turn she will thank you later.

- When the score keeper's kid goes 0-4 in a game and then the ole game recap email shows up afterwards and "someone" has 4 quality at bats there's a strong possibility that you've waded into some daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS. I'm not saying that quality at bats aren't a thing, but when the same score keeper never tracks them any other time, well......

- When you're at a tryout and there are 4 kids there better than anyone on the team but your kid is the only 1 who gets offered a spot DO NOT take it. There is no doubt that you're about to step in some daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS.

- When the coach is giving hitting lessons to his 4 hole hitter in front of the dug out right before the game because she is 0 - the last 2 months it's a sure sign of some daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS.

- When there is a part of the game that can be measured -- bat speed, foot speed, pitching speed, overhand throwing speed, etc., etc. -- and not only do multiple parents on your kid's team have every single one of them memorized down to the thousandth of a second but they're are also all insanely good you're probably neck deep in a pile of daddy ball / 10u rec ball BS.

- When the only thing you tell them to remove from the rough cut of your kid's skills video is the voice of another parent who can't keep their mouth shut about what a stud their kid is or at least have the decency to walk away from the camera,,,, well, you know.

Fell free to add to it, ignore it completely, call me an a-hole, whatever.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
You're an A-hole.

... But, we all are. If I may comment on the parts about being harder on your own kid - I was guilty of that way back in 10U (when we played under torches because electricity wasn't discovered yet). However, I purposely was extra hard on Louuuuuise simply because I wanted to show the other players/parents that I wasn't coddling or showing favoritism toward my daughter. I'm not sure if it worked, but I felt the need to do something.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're an A-hole.

... But, we all are. If I may comment on the parts about being harder on your own kid - I was guilty of that way back in 10U (when we played under torches because electricity wasn't discovered yet). However, I purposely was extra hard on Louuuuuise simply because I wanted to show the other players/parents that I wasn't coddling or showing favoritism toward my daughter. I'm not sure if it worked, but I felt the need to do something.

Been there......

FastBat

Reaction score
...you've waded into some daddy ball...you're about to step in some daddy ball...you're probably neck deep in a pile of daddy ball...

When the coach is giving hitting lessons to his 4 hole hitter in front of the dug out right before the game because she is 0 - the last 2 months...

This is funny!

Justamom

Reaction score
When coach edits Game Changer. His DD suddenly has no errors, her ERA drops drastically, and her at bats lowers so she has a higher average.

Canfieldcrush100

Reaction score
When the parents of a 10u pitcher tell you his DD is throwing 55 mph and has a rise ball along with 4 other pitches. but her coach Thinks she too valuable in left field to put in the circle. You may have....

jd100

Reaction score
When you are told at tryouts your daughter will play a position... but the coach doesn't even put her there in practice.

larrybowman

Reaction score
When the parent of a 10U player tell you his DD has hit 5 homeruns over 300'..... yet she never seems to make contact when its game time?? HMMMM.....

yossarian

Reaction score
When the coach says (without being asked), "I want you to know that my daughter doesn't play every inning of every game of the entire year at shortstop, because she's my daughter."

Bink44

Reaction score
wow...thank you so much for the Domingo Ayala video!! I haven't watched any of these in a couple of years. "Coach you can put a chair over at 2B...it will be better then your son" LMAO. Thanks again for making me a laugh before work :)

Irish196

Reaction score
wow...thank you so much for the Domingo Ayala video!! I haven't watched any of these in a couple of years. "Coach you can put a chair over at 2B...it will be better then your son" LMAO. Thanks again for making me a laugh before work :)

His one about high fives after strike outs is hilarious too.

FastBat

Reaction score
"The coach's kid has had 40 next times..." LOL, loved that video!

My dd's 7u and 8u softball team had severe daddy ball. She'd ask, "Can I play infield?" I thought lefties could only play 2B or O/F and second was taken by the coach's kid, every inning/every game. I told her, "get better if you want to play second base." I took her to fielding lessons and she learned how to work hard for what she wanted. The next season she was the biggest hustler on the field. She played RF and learned how to back up 1B on throws, cover 2B every time a play was possible, back up the second bsaemen, judge fly balls, back up outfielders, etc. That darn coach still wouldn't put her in the infield! I told her, "become a pitcher, that's how lefties play infield." She took the skills she learned from becoming an great RF and applied them to pitching, unfortunately the coach's kid decided to become a pitcher too. My dd left that team, got circle time on another team, and continued to work hard. This past summer that daddy ball coach resigned, my dd returned to the original team she loved, played pitcher and had a great season...IN THE INFIELD!!!

I'm not sure where my dd would be today if it wasn't for "daddy ball". I believe it made her hungry, but I'm glad I wasn't afraid to say, "No Thank You" to daddy ball!

Last edited:

wow

Reaction score
His one about high fives after strike outs is hilarious too.

Coaching first base video is classic.. Gotta pick up the equipment after the runner gets on. Then let the runner know what base to go to next...