Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming a New Team - Recouping Team Fees Idea -- Positives and Negatives

Senior Member 24GahannaLadyLions7's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 151/0
    Given: 372/1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Forming a New Team - Recouping Team Fees Idea -- Positives and Negatives

I am possibly eyeing a HC position in the future for my youngest daughter. She is an 09 and loves her team, but they are an 07 team and even though it would be pretty cool to play up, I would like to see her grow with a team her age in the future. 4 years at 10U is going to be a hoot though... Has anyone heard of something like this........

**1st Year 9U team
    Team Fees of $1000, but team fees can be recoup up to $250 with seeing a professional Hitting/Pitching coach or attending a camp during Fall/Winter. Receipts can only be turned in March after the entire team membership fee has been collected. All team fees need to be paid by February 15th.

What are you thoughts on this?
    Matt Bailey

"Stay at 17 inches" John Scolinos ---- FIND IT!! READ IT!! LIVE IT!!

*Beverly Bandits Demarini04
    *Ohio Lasers Teal06
    *Pickerington Big Katz07

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 527/5
    Given: 234/3

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Forming a New Team - Recouping Team Fees Idea -- Positives and Negatives

First off God bless you with 3 under 12!

Second Convincing 9U parents they need hitting /pitching coaches? Good luck. I do however agree its needed, just convincing dad, who was all city with the new market mallers in 1987 ( Al Bundy reference there in case you missed it), that his DD needs a coach other than him? That's difficult.

The idea of incentivizing it is interesting but if everyone gets it there is no need to do that.

Keeping a 4 year kid at 10U is very smart. Playing up is WAY OVER RATED. Just play the best competition. If yr involved with the lasers and bandits you already get that.

I think you're on the right track though.
    Last edited by wow; 04-18-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Outwork everyone.. There is no offseason....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/0
    Given: 0/1

Matt- it's not unreasonable to expect travel players to take lessons from professional instructors. Particularly pitchers.
    I'd recommend, instead of recouping $$$, that you use that money to hire an instructor to work
    with the girls as a group. This does several things:
    1) It gets the girls, coaches and parents on the same page with regards to technique, etc
    2) Builds team chemistry by getting the girls together.
    3) It will help those parents new to travel ball see the importance of independent instruction.
    Good luck!

PS- I smell a Lasers Magenta '09 team coming up!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/1
    Given: 29/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

That’s definitely an interesting concept. There are a couple of things I would struggle with though.

-$1,000 team fees at first year 9U, second year 8U, or whatever it is, seems crazy. How much more is a kid going to get at that age for $1,000 than they would for the $50 community league? I’m not saying that rec is better, but I don’t think there is a whole lot of bang for the buck at that age. I’m sure you’d get some people to pay it though.

-Each kid is different, but I don’t think that many kids that age would get a whole lot from mandated private instruction and camps. Again, I am not going to go as far as saying that it would be a waste of money, but most kids would not get a whole lot out if it at that age. It’s one thing to tell a 14U parent to “give me $1,000, and here is the contact info of all the organizations approved hitting, pitching, speed/agility, and fielding coaches”, but I think that would be fruitless 9U.

-While it’s a novel idea to build a team young and grow it together, we all know that doesn’t happen. By 12U, the only kid left would be the coach’s kid and maybe her best friend. I have personally seen so often that the “10U stud” turns into the “12U dud”.

Here’s what I would do if I were determined to give it a go. I would pick the kids with the best attitudes and the most athletic ability. Instead of telling them to all go seek outside lessons, I would bring in coaches/instructors that have a history of working well with young children and are sound softball fundamental teachers. Have them instruct practices periodically, like once every couple or few weeks. In the other weeks, drill what the instructors are teaching. That way, they are all learning the same fundamentals and you don’t have to deal with the “If your personal coach is telling you that, then keep doing it, but if your dad is telling you to do that, then we need to change it” situations. I think that the parents would more willingly buy into this as opposed to the “find your own” route. Then hopefully, the team would only half way turn over by 12U.
    -To be a successful softball coach, you must first forget everything you know about baseball.
    -My daughter's best pitch is her "scropper". It breaks evenly on four planes, simultaneously.

Thumbs Up/Down

Additionally, if you bring in your own instructors vs having the kids find personal coaches and camps, you can insure that they are being taught the hitting/fielding philosophies that you approve of. When my oldest was playing 2nd year 10U, the coach flat out told me that "I don't like your hitting coach and I think you should find a new one". I about fell over, since his only hitting experience was playing high school baseball and slow pitch softball vs the lady the played fast pitch at the highest level. We found a new team the following year.
    -To be a successful softball coach, you must first forget everything you know about baseball.
    -My daughter's best pitch is her "scropper". It breaks evenly on four planes, simultaneously.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 546/9
    Given: 872/0

I have a birth year '12 and I feel like she is already behind! Although, this year she is considered softball 4 (years old).

I have never heard of something like this. But, I don't mind the requiring privates, they do in other sports. What I think will be a turn off is the initial cost of $1000.00, big cost for a 9U team.
    Jen Justice-Carter

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 350/17
    Given: 132/18

Why does everyone think $1000 per kid for a full Travel Ball experience sounds crazy, whether it is 9U or 16U????
    If you are on a quality team that plays a full Fall & Winter schedule - $500+ per kid will barely cover the tourney fees
    Uniforms, bags, helmet, team gear will be around $350 - 400 per kid
    Winter work out facility will be at least $100-150 per kid
    Insurance, Organizational Fees, Team Expenses, etc is another $100 per kid

That is at least $1100 per kid!!! Now many, like my team do lots of fund raising to make the actual out of pocket close to half that total.
    But many would just as soon write a check & not worry about it.
    But thinking you are gonna run any quality team on a limited budget is going to be your downfall from the beginning...........
    Also, at least 80% of my 9U team sees additional instructors for pitching, hitting, catching......

Knowing Matt, if he does it, it will be done right!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/0
    Given: 10/1

Because they are 7, 8 & 9 years old...and that's silly to spend that kind of money... if there are proven fundraisers that cut everyones costs dramatically...then I get it. He didn't mention that in his thoughts though. Today's parents will line up to pay $1000 to not get left out.
    Last edited by thestuff142; 04-19-2017 at 08:40 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

You need to keep in mind the expectation of the parents as well. If they are new to travel ball, they are going to think that their kid is going to get great coaching because they are playing in a highly regarded organization. It's quite the eye opener when the parents learn that the coach isn't a coach, but just a manager, and that they have to go out and hire a personal coach.

The mindset isn't going to be "Good, we get some money back at the end of the year". It is going to be "We just paid $1,000, AND we need to hire a coach at $50/lesson? WTF!!!!!!!"

I think that you would be better off not giving refunds, but using that money to bring in notable softball personas to be present at some practices. The parents will see the value in that. That is not taking into consideration if kids that age would get anything at all from hiring these people to come in and instruct....
    Last edited by Long Baller; 04-19-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 440/5
    Given: 624/14

i'm still lost on the spend $1000 and recoup money from paying for private lessons....at best isn't that just robbing peter to pay paul?
    i agree about just bringing in "celebrity" players instructors and getting the full work out with your money. we all know there isn't anyway to play and save!!! lmao!!
    good luck with your program, it basically sounds like a pretty solid plan.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast