Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitchers who show their weakness (by wearing a mask).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Pitchers who show their weakness (by wearing a mask).

Matt,
    That was very scary moment. Our pitcher was treated and released from the Children's Hospital later that afternoon. She is feeling ok, other than a headache. Thank god for the mask. We took a look at the mask and the ball mark would have been right around her temple. It shook both teams up for the reminder of the game.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 14/0

My DD was playing in a 12U game this weekend and a teammate of her's absolutely smoked a ball at the head of the third baseman who was playing equal to the base. The girl did well to get her glove in between the ball and her face and even caught the ball. Had she not gotten her glove up and had she not had the mask on that she did it could have been a very bad situation. As a father of a pitcher who has a pretty good fastball and with how good the bats/hitters nowadays are, letting your DD into the circle without a mask is simply ignorant and negligent. My daughter has used one since she was 9 so she's used to it at this point and luckily for us, never fought it. Somethings simply come down to the parent being the parent and making the decision for the child.

I think there are many times where governing body's of sports oversteps their bounds, ie the NCAA, ie the NFL, NBA, MLB and so on. I fully believe however, that here are times though where it's up to those said governing bodies to rule in the favor of player safety and save the players from themselves. Such legislation coming down from the top on down would set a standard for the youth of today that it's not a matter of ego/pride but safety, and when they see their favorite players wearing those masks it will have a positive impact on those players.
    Last edited by 4TheLoveOfTheGame; 07-17-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 6/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

My daughter's 10u team had a girl pitching against them for the second time this year and she didnt wear a mask either time. I dont get why a parent would allow this. Nothing good will come from not protecting your 9, 10, 11 yr old.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 361/18
    Given: 242/1

We had the same discussion in Whitehall this weekend. The umpires were surprises to see girls not wearing facemask. Everyone in the discussion agree that all players should be wearing facemask.

Then the point about College Coaches believe it shows weakness came it the discussion. We started talking about this very thread.

I see absolutely no reason a players can't wear a facemask.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/1
    Given: 13/0

My niece took one off the mask a few weeks ago while pitching at the 16U level. She is still battling the effects of the concussion.

If she had not been wearing the mask, I don't want to think about the injuries she could have suffered.

Lucky it was during travel. Her high school coach won't let pitchers wear a mask. Can't show "weakness." i guess she is okay with showing foolishness.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 20/0
    Given: 0/0

Just curious... Why do some/most tournaments enforce a "no jewelry" rule?? Isn't this mostly for "safety"? Uhmm... seems to me that if a tournament will enforce a "no jewelry" rule for "safety" they should require pitchers to wear a mask. I'd be more concerned about a line drive back at the players face than weither or not she's wearing a bracelet! Just my opinion...

Senior Member 24GahannaLadyLions7's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 166/0
    Given: 385/1

Quote Originally Posted by Finesse04 View Post
    Matt,
    That was very scary moment. Our pitcher was treated and released from the Children's Hospital later that afternoon. She is feeling ok, other than a headache. Thank god for the mask. We took a look at the mask and the ball mark would have been right around her temple. It shook both teams up for the reminder of the game.
    Speedy recovery and I am glad that she is feeling relatively better, but that is something that will stay with me for a long time!!
    Matt Bailey

"Stay at 17 inches" John Scolinos ---- FIND IT!! READ IT!! LIVE IT!!

*Beverly Bandits Demarini04
    *Ohio Lasers Teal06
    *Pickerington Big Katz07

Senior Member 24GahannaLadyLions7's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 166/0
    Given: 385/1

Matt Bailey

"Stay at 17 inches" John Scolinos ---- FIND IT!! READ IT!! LIVE IT!!

*Beverly Bandits Demarini04
    *Ohio Lasers Teal06
    *Pickerington Big Katz07

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by google1 View Post
    Just curious... Why do some/most tournaments enforce a "no jewelry" rule?? Isn't this mostly for "safety"? Uhmm... seems to me that if a tournament will enforce a "no jewelry" rule for "safety" they should require pitchers to wear a mask. I'd be more concerned about a line drive back at the players face than weither or not she's wearing a bracelet! Just my opinion...
    The tournament my daughter played in last weekend required all pitchers to wear a mask.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by 24GahannaLadyLions7 View Post
    Great statement by the khsaa about being proactive rather than reactive. It's sad that some student athlete is going to have to be maimed or maybe worse in order to force legislation that can prevent said injury/death by requiring a $25 mask.
    Last edited by 4TheLoveOfTheGame; 07-19-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast