Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pitchers who show their weakness (by wearing a mask).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 445/5
    Given: 625/14

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Pitchers who show their weakness (by wearing a mask).

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuck View Post
    my niece took one off the mask a few weeks ago while pitching at the 16u level. She is still battling the effects of the concussion.

If she had not been wearing the mask, i don't want to think about the injuries she could have suffered.

Lucky it was during travel. Her high school coach won't let pitchers wear a mask. Can't show "weakness." i guess she is okay with showing foolishness.
    then her high school coach should never be allowed to coach ball again!!! That is sheer stupidity.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 445/5
    Given: 625/14

AGAIN, IF A NATIONAL STANDARD OF CERTIFICATION FOR THE STRENGTHS REQUIRED FOR A FACEMASK, i.e. JUST LIKE FOOTBALL AND BATTING HELMETS ARE CERTIFIED, I BELIEVE THERE WOULD BE MANY MORE ORGANIZATIONS (ASA, USSA PGF, ETC.) THAT WOULD MANDATE THEIR USE, SINCE THIS WOULD RELIEVE TO SOME DEGREE THAT ORGANIZATION FROM LIABILITY IF THE MASK WERE TO FAIL. IT'S TIME THAT THE SAME BOARD THAT CERTIFIES OTHER SAFETY EQUIPMENT IN OTHER SPORTS ARE LOBBIED TO SET UP A NATIONAL CERTIFICATION SYSTEM FOR FIELDERS MASKS IN SOFTBALL.
    Last edited by Pacerdad57; Today at 06:52 AM.
    MARK HALEY
    CENTRAL OHIO ICE ODER 01

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 7/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Up to the player? Maybe when she is old enough to pay bills and make educated decisions. My 10 year old doesn't get to make life choices. Perhaps when they donot live under your roof/rules anymore....but until then, it is NOT up to the player.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 544/7
    Given: 345/2

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshields View Post
    Up to the player? Maybe when she is old enough to pay bills and make educated decisions. My 10 year old doesn't get to make life choices. Perhaps when they donot live under your roof/rules anymore....but until then, it is NOT up to the player.
    Chronic headaches, permanent face and lip numbness, titanium plates, false teeth, blurred vision, face shifted 3mm. That's the reality of a comebacker to the maxilla and orbit. It will also set you or your insurance 10-15 thousand dollars. So... make it your daughters choice? Make it your coaches choice? Once it happens the damage is done.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/0

A-freakin-men!!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 413/0
    Given: 3/0

The coaches and the school districts will be singing a much different tune after a parent/player (or several) collects damages from a coach personally and a school district for an injury that the player suffered because the coach had forbidden or even discouraged the use of a fielders mask.

This will happen; so if you are a coach that has discouraged or not allowed a face mask then you had better revisit your bias before it bites you in the butt.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 413/0
    Given: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbuck View Post
    My niece took one off the mask a few weeks ago while pitching at the 16U level. She is still battling the effects of the concussion.

If she had not been wearing the mask, I don't want to think about the injuries she could have suffered.

Lucky it was during travel. Her high school coach won't let pitchers wear a mask. Can't show "weakness." i guess she is okay with showing foolishness.
    Bullbuck
    I would never let my dd pitch in any game without a mask, period. Please consider going to the Coach/AD/Principal/Superintendant/School Board to get is Coach's policy changed. If you can get another pitcher's parents to participate then your position will be greatly strengthened. If all the pitchers participate then the coach would have to buckle.

As a coach: I had a skilled 12 year old second baseman take a line-drive off of her face and we had to wait a week until the swelling went down to see if she was going to loose the vision in that eye. She was standing 90' away from the batter. If she had been wearing a mask she would have avoided 3 major surgeries and she wouldn't have lost multiple seasons only to eventually leave the game without ever playing in high school. She is 27 now and still suffers from that injury.

I regret it to this day.
    Fairman
    Last edited by Fairman; Today at 09:42 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234