We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: batters box?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 30/0
    Given: 67/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: batters box?

Let's look at it from the slapper perspective also. I have seen numerous slappers called out for being out of the box, and after looking at video, they were not. The same thing all year in both HS and travel. Also I have seen at a few parks where they use a baseball batter box as opposed to softball box. The baseball box is much smaller therefore restricting the slappers stride. I think when a slapper comes into the box the umpire immediately thinks they have a chance to "catch" them stepping out of the box and therefore make it more about themselves. I had video 3 times this year where my dd was called out of the box and all three times her foot was on the line. It probably evens itself out in the end though as I saw her step out a few times when she was not called for it. I do think it is nearly impossible for an umpire to watch everything that is going on when the slapper is at bat. But don't call her out of the box if there are no lines unless she steps on the plate.
    Last edited by heater; 07-29-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 12/0

Speaking of crowding the plate, I see a lot of batters try to take away the inside part of the plate as well as wear arm or elbow guards. Countless times my dd (a pitcher) tries to jam the hitter and the hitter will take it off the guard and most of the time the ump calls a" dead ball, hit batter" when clearly the pitch is in the zone. Should it not be called a strike, the batter can't move the zone by crowding can she.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 53/0
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by grabber711 View Post
    Speaking of crowding the plate, I see a lot of batters try to take away the inside part of the plate as well as wear arm or elbow guards. Countless times my dd (a pitcher) tries to jam the hitter and the hitter will take it off the guard and most of the time the ump calls a" dead ball, hit batter" when clearly the pitch is in the zone. Should it not be called a strike, the batter can't move the zone by crowding can she.
    You can thank the NCAA and NFHS for creating that problem. NCAA decided in their infinite wisdom to change the hit by pitch rule to no attempt to avoid is required if the ball is entirely in the batters box. A year or two later NFHS also decided it was a good idea and changed their rule also. It didnt exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out the end result was going to be batters crowding the plate daring the pitcher to throw inside and then just stand there and take it. It also doesnt help that everyone, including a large segment of the umpire population read the rule up to the no attempt to avoid and stop. If they would actually read the entire rule and enforce it as written the rule actually does not say no attempt to avoid is required. The comment of no attempt to avoid only applies to balls that are ENTIRELY within the batters box, if the ball is not entirely within the batters box the batter is still in fact required to make an attempt to avoid or they are not to be awarded 1st base.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 391/77
    Given: 3/1

I'm not an umpire, here is the answer though:

Passing the "test" to become an umpire would require staying awake whilst watching about 2 games and not suffering a major head injury afterwards.

They will do/say whatever they want and get away with it.

On the flip side, it's only a game that kids are playing against each other.

Let it go, man..
    Last edited by mike_dyer; 08-05-2017 at 04:47 AM.
    My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.