We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: it used to be fun

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/2
    Given: 0/0

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

it used to be fun

Looking back at my experience as a parent of a high level player, it all stopped being fun after 11u. At 12u our team was lured in by a high priced so called elite organization. Thats when the bills got higher and the level of play got lower. Instead of playing as a team (family ) it became 12 individuals playing for their personal dream of earning a college scholarship. This organization did nothing for us except cash our checks and convince these girls and their parents that they would have a future if they just stayed with this organization. The truth was that most of the girls on this team won't even play high school varsity. My advice is to avoid these high price elite organizations whose only goal is to take your money and have you chase a delusional dream.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 402/1
    Given: 74/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: it used to be fun

I somewhat agree Mick! Too many times over the years I have seen individuals enter the sport we love, for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only, and that is to bleed innocent Family's for as much $$$ as they can and to feed there self absorbed egos!! Good luck in finding a better fit in the future.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 449/7
    Given: 355/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Its sad but what you bring up is a reality of today's youth sports (not just Fastpitch). Parents loose perspective about FUN...Thus why so many ladies seem to be leaving softball and sport in general by 16.

Are there bad teams, yes... But it is parents that allow themselves to be drawn into situations that creates family issues and ladies to leave the game (most just dont know it).
    A lot of the time its because the parents are too consumed with the college scholarship. My feeling is play for FUN, play at the level you can afford and still have fun.
    If the player has to work too hard to compete they may be over their head / just not ready or, would be ok to play at the lower levels.

The truth is many ladies stop playing by their senior year of High School and, those that make it to college do not always fulfill their scholarship obligation. A lot end up leaving / changing schools or, staying in college but electing to stop playing softball/sport.
    Talent trumps all, I remember a post a few years back where the poster said which organization puts more girls in college and D1. I still believe none...Its the ladies and their talent or lack there of that gets them into the various levels of play post secondary and as long as the lady is in the right fit JC to D1 that is where the success is regardless of any monies gained for playing.

Parents that keep it fun and in perspective and look for coaches that know how to keep it fun while developing skills are the ladies that generally continue to play and when done playing continue to help coach or instruct either after HS or College.
    Last edited by CARDS; 08-13-2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    Know where you want to go, Plan for it and then make it happen...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAsq66_9wk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 595/5
    Given: 289/3

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Absolutely spot on. Your post is not even 12 hours old. I suspect your post to get double digit "thumbs up" by end of day. 10U was a blast, even 12U was ton of fun. 14U was an absolute pressure cooker. And not due to the competition. When kids are in the dugout and arguing over which college is there to see who, its time to pull the ripcord.

Maybe its about time more of this type of stuff was talked about so kids and family's coming up can know what to avoid.
    Outwork everyone.. There is no offseason....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 134/0
    Given: 296/5

I think it begins with honesty: there are SPARQ numbers out there that help a player align to what ever level of college play (D1, D2, D3, and NAIA). Parents and players need to honestly assess where they fit into the "grand scheme". For example, if "Little Suzie" wants to pitch at the Elite D1 level, she needs to bring it greater than 60 mph with movement and hit her spots; anything less drops her into other divisions. Another example, my daughter is starting her freshman year at an NAIA school. She is your "speedy" slapper outfielder type with a Home to First time of 2.85 seconds. We knew she wasn't the sub 2.7 required at D1 schools and we adjusted out search to what fit her capabilities (she also wanted a small private school for her education, so this worked for us). I agree many girls start "hanging up the cleats" at 16u and 18u because it doesn't fit their future plans (driving, jobs, boyfriends, etc.). I had a wonderful player quit me a 16u a couple of years ago because she planned on attending OSU majoring in a medical field and she wasn't going to play softball at that level. It broke my heart because she is a great kid from a great family, but she made a wise and mature decision that I truly expect. Stats say only 8% of all high school players will ever step unto a college softball field and only half of them will receive any athletic money to do so. Those kids with full athletic rides are less than 1%. Parents and players need to understand these facts and adjust accordingly. And I agree with many of the points made in the replies: "IT HAS TO BE FUN!!!". If it isn't fun (and affordable), go find somewhere that is a better fit. Granted we didn't the "Travel-Select" thing just for the scholarships (which we received); we did for fun and to build memories and relationships that will last long after our playing days are over.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 587/8
    Given: 367/2

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer mickey View Post
    Looking back at my experience as a parent of a high level player, it all stopped being fun after 11u. At 12u our team was lured in by a high priced so called elite organization. Thats when the bills got higher and the level of play got lower. Instead of playing as a team (family ) it became 12 individuals playing for their personal dream of earning a college scholarship. This organization did nothing for us except cash our checks and convince these girls and their parents that they would have a future if they just stayed with this organization. The truth was that most of the girls on this team won't even play high school varsity. My advice is to avoid these high price elite organizations whose only goal is to take your money and have you chase a delusional dream.
    Mickey, if it stopped being fun at 12u, you are in for a long haul of disappointing summers, namely 6 of them. Remember every kid on the "elite" team that has so far eluded you and your DD wants that college opportunity as much as your DD and they might very well feel the same way about her as you do of them. Also remember a lot happens between 12u and high school, namely puberty, and some of these kids that you feel are lacking in talent may be studs at 16 once they develop. Believe me, I witnessed it over and over as my daughter got older. In fact jumping from 16u to 18u can be just as sobering, and even after the "offer" has come in.
    So my advice is to relax, settle down, find her a fun team with good parents, and her talent will speak for itself. She will have plenty of summers to prove it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 384/2
    Given: 87/0

Good posts. Having coached at about all levels, I know the girls who got the most out of their travel ball time are the ones whose parents weren't consumed with a college scholarship. It wasn't completely off the radar, but it wasn't the one and only reason the girl played.

As far as finding one's college level, I agree that it needs to be done and it's hard. First, a girl or family needs to try to be honest with themselves and ideally find someone who has the knowledge to be honest with them. Over time, the process will take care of this when college coaches show or don't show interest. I think most college coaches would agree that we're always looking for a level higher than well-meaning travel coaches and others try to send our way. I am a D2 coach. When I hear a travel coach or whoever else tell me, "I think she's a D2 level player," what I'm usually thinking is, "She can barely make a D2 roster and is at best a decent D3 player." It's not that we distrust the coaches, it's that experience teaches us what we usually end up seeing when we go watch that player.

People get thrown off by the fact that most colleges add walk-ons or small scholarship players (books, perhaps). People then say if that girl can play at that school, well then this girl is better than that. Often, a girl simply wants a certain school or is willing to take a shot at a level above where she is otherwise being recruited.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 134/0
    Given: 296/5

Quote Originally Posted by JoeA1010 View Post
    Good posts. Having coached at about all levels, I know the girls who got the most out of their travel ball time are the ones whose parents weren't consumed with a college scholarship. It wasn't completely off the radar, but it wasn't the one and only reason the girl played.

As far as finding one's college level, I agree that it needs to be done and it's hard. First, a girl or family needs to try to be honest with themselves and ideally find someone who has the knowledge to be honest with them. Over time, the process will take care of this when college coaches show or don't show interest. I think most college coaches would agree that we're always looking for a level higher than well-meaning travel coaches and others try to send our way. I am a D2 coach. When I hear a travel coach or whoever else tell me, "I think she's a D2 level player," what I'm usually thinking is, "She can barely make a D2 roster and is at best a decent D3 player." It's not that we distrust the coaches, it's that experience teaches us what we usually end up seeing when we go watch that player.

People get thrown off by the fact that most colleges add walk-ons or small scholarship players (books, perhaps). People then say if that girl can play at that school, well then this girl is better than that. Often, a girl simply wants a certain school or is willing to take a shot at a level above where she is otherwise being recruited.
    Wise words people from Coach Joe!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 449/7
    Given: 355/1

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer mickey View Post
    A couple questions for you Mickey,

Did your 11U coach jump organizations or was it a parent lead jump?

You say the 12U team/organization was billed "elite" but the level of play got weaker...This is where the coach and parents need to step back and understand what are our goals, where do we want to go, and how much of our disposable income are we willing to invest and what is our ROI on this investment?

When you look at schedules there are really only a handful of teams at all age ranges that plays a "high level" or national schedule (and some are not the big names).
    Most teams tagged "elite"play the same schedule as the lesser known organizations and stay within 2 hours of home or less a national that "may be" 4 hours away.
    Last edited by CARDS; 08-13-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Know where you want to go, Plan for it and then make it happen...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAsq66_9wk

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/2
    Given: 0/0

I never once considered this an investment, we played because we loved the game. As her level got higher we obviously wanted to play on high level teams against high level teams. This is a sport for fun, a high priced hobby, and I am willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars so she can have Fun! Not looking for payback, just making memories she can look back on her whole life.