We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leave Team After Fall Ball?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 395/11
    Given: 47/3

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Leave Team After Fall Ball?

Depends on why you are leaving. Are you leaving because she isn't getting enough playing time? If so, what have you done as a family to get her to improve? Have you asked the coach what you can do better to get into the lineup?

You can always leave but make sure you are doing all you can to honor your commitment first.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Given: 0/0

Do whats best for your daughter. Do not even consider "doing all you can to honor your commitment". Most organizations will replace your daughter in a heartbeat if they can find someone better, no matter how dedicated she is or how hard she works. Her happiness is the only thing that counts.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead20 View Post
    Do whats best for your daughter. Do not even consider "doing all you can to honor your commitment". Most organizations will replace your daughter in a heartbeat if they can find someone better, no matter how dedicated she is or how hard she works. Her happiness is the only thing that counts.
    Wow...this is a perfect example of what is wrong with our country. You do realize that honoring a commitment is one of the best things you can teach your daughter!?! Unless "happiness" was specifically mentioned as something your team would provide for your daughter in the contract, you might have to work on this one yourself. Do you have a "happiness" clause with your employer?

Life is not fair...those that work the hardest and are the most dedicated don't always come out on top. What happened to teaching kids that they should take pride (be happy) with working hard, being dedicated and (God forbid) honoring a commitment?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/1
    Given: 19/0

Life lessons...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 371/6
    Given: 169/4

So many variables . Have to have more info to give solid advice. Why are you considering leaving ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Difference is my employer pays me. I don't pay it to show up. Also, I chose to work in a field I enjoy. If my employer was making my life miserable or treating me poorly, I am not honoring my "commitment" to it. I also believe in showing my daughter that hard work does pay off and her happiness comes first. If it becomes apparent that the organization isn't a good fit, players aren't being developed, daddy ball is overly obvious, things said at tryouts aren't followed through on or any number of other reasons, then I'm not teaching her to just grin and bear it. These days you have organization actively looking to replace players 2-3 months before their season actually ends. Committing to an organization that isn't committed to you doesn't teach you anything.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/0

Difference is my employer pays me. I don't pay it to show up. Also, I chose to work in a field I enjoy. If my employer was making my life miserable or treating me poorly, I am not honoring my "commitment" to it. I also believe in showing my daughter that hard work does pay off and her happiness comes first. If it becomes apparent that the organization isn't a good fit, players aren't being developed, daddy ball is overly obvious, things said at tryouts aren't followed through on or any number of other reasons, then I'm not teaching her to just grin and bear it. These days you have organization actively looking to replace players 2-3 months before their season actually ends. Committing to an organization that isn't committed to you doesn't teach you anything.

Sorry, you obviously have a lot of issues here...I think you've listed every excuse to quit that's ever been listed on these boards. What's the name of the organization you settled on, because I haven't found one yet where one of those complaints hasn't been raised by a parent. I'm willing to bet many organizations are even looking for replacements during the fall to replace those players that share your idea of commitment!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 476/5
    Given: 431/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmdad View Post
    Wow...this is a perfect example of what is wrong with our country. You do realize that honoring a commitment is one of the best things you can teach your daughter!?! Unless "happiness" was specifically mentioned as something your team would provide for your daughter in the contract, you might have to work on this one yourself. Do you have a "happiness" clause with your employer?

Life is not fair...those that work the hardest and are the most dedicated don't always come out on top. What happened to teaching kids that they should take pride (be happy) with working hard, being dedicated and (God forbid) honoring a commitment?
    With all due respect, Farmdad, you are not comparing apples to apples here and that has been stated since this quote from you was added to the thread. If you buy a John Deere tractor from a dealership that continues to give you no service and ignores your needs for parts and information, are you telling me your loyalty would be the driving force to continue doing business with that same dealership? My guess is no.

Paying a club to get to play with them for enjoyment and competitive exposure is not the same as joining a team at your local school for the privilege of representing the community and the school in a competitive team sport. The soul driving force for paying to play is recreational. They are, in most cases, purchasing the instruction of the game and the right to receive training and use their skills in competition for the soul purpose of recreation. If the training is not as represented or the club exists with a standard of morals well below your expectations, families have a right to move. Just as your disappointment with your dealership would drive you to go elsewhere families have the freedom to take their business somewhere else. In both cases this could come at a cost. The parents may have to forfeit their fees while your investment into a green piece of equipment may mean a loss if you choose to change brands. Both offer life lessons. Both indicate more homework and research should have taken place. Both can some times be compromised because a pre-existing reputation gave you a sense of false security when making a choice. Neither should expect loyalty and commitment if they fail to meet your expectations.

I am as loyal and dedicated as I can be but even I recommended a face to face communication with staff to try and settle differences before quitting but would support a move if the answers to their questions did not suit them.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Thanks everyone for your responses, but I was more wanting to know if my daughter will be "black balled" if we make the change after fall season. As we all know the softball world is a small one. As her parents, her dad and I are pretty torn. We have never allowed one of our kids to quit a team before. Coaches, would you pass on a girl if you knew she had left a team after fall? She is 14u, 2nd year.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1
    Given: 4/2

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I coach a 14U very competitive team and we had the same scenario happen to us. The coach they went to try out for (one of the largest organizations in Ohio/Pa) called me and asked about the player. So yes, coaches will reach out, but as an ADULT, I would never say anything negative about a player because ultimately the player has to be happy! She is currently playing on the new team. However, there probably are some coaches out there that are NOT ADULTS and will do what they can to tarnish your name. Be up front with the prospective new team and you will be just fine! Never lose sight of why we do this and that is because our DD's love to play the game!

Bill