We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leave Team After Fall Ball?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Leave Team After Fall Ball?

Is it ok to leave a team after fall ball? Or do you honor your commitment though your daughter and you as her parents are unhappy with the team?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 476/5
    Given: 431/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Leave Team After Fall Ball?

If you have made an effort for a sit down to discuss the issues that has you concerned and still want a break from your current team then inform those in charge and leave. If your reason for leaving is because you believe you have received a better offer, have a sit down first with those in charge, then another with your family before deciding what to do.

If you are not a good fit, talk to your daughter. If your daughter wants to go because she doesn't feel welcome I would side with your daughter. After all, it is for her remember? I would always reach out to the staff before leaving, even if it is to simply minimize any damage or hard feelings. I suggest doing it face to face. Texting is so impersonal.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 10/0
    Given: 39/4

We had an issue one year where the coach made certain promises to us concerning the use of sub players. When it turned out that the promises weren't true in the first 2 fall tournaments, we went in a different direction. You shouldn't feel like you should have to "honor your commitment" if the team hasn't honored its commitment to you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 42/0

Leave now.....save your money.....it doesn't get any better if you are unhappy.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 52/0
    Given: 62/1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If she is unhappy, leave. This goes by way too fast to waste a whole year being unhappy. Be up front and honest with the coach about what is going on and why you want to part ways. Just beware.. because there are still those ones who will say you are an evil, terrible person for doing what is best for your daughter.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 226/2
    Given: 408/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

People leave for various reasons, both respectable and not, so it's hard to answer a vague question like this without knowing your situation. If you're going to do it, I'd say try to do it on good terms where you and the coach try to respect each other's positions, even if you disagree with each other.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 38/0

sometimes what you thought was a good fit for your daughter turns out not to be.....better to leave now, then be miserable all winter, spring, and summer.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 595/5
    Given: 289/3

Everyone has an opinion on leaving and when to or not to leave. The fact is its a very personal choice. There are so many factors which go into the decision. Its never easy and yes, as already stated, its fairly certain there will be hurt feelings/bad opinions.

Remember teams are about fit. Talk to the coach try and work whatever difference you have out and then see. But its a long summer if your not happy now. I think its safe to say we have all been in situations, which looking back, would have done things differently. That's life, its how you learn and grow from the experience that matters most.
    Outwork everyone.. There is no offseason....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 558/9
    Given: 883/0

If she's unhappy, I would leave. I would try to talk to the coach and explain your situation.

If it's you not being happy, but she's happy, suck it up as the parent and stay. I've done it before. It's not always about PT, it's also about fit, fitting in with teammates/friends your dd has made and how she responds to the coaching.
    Jen Justice-Carter

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,556/8
    Given: 1,323/7

Agree with others that it's OK to leave after talking with a coach but, as Jen said, make sure your daughter really wants to and it's not just you as parents projecting that on her. My experience was that 80% of the time it was the parents and not the player at all.
    Jeff Baker