We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 587/8
    Given: 367/2

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Trevor Bauer

So now that the Rant/Raves section is gone, I will post this here because it in so many ways refer to softball.
    Trevor Bauer demonstrated last night that having two great pitches can make you a dominant pitcher, but having three can make you a Yankee Killer.
    In the broadcast they talked about Bauer's 2 seam fastball that freezes lefty's as it darts back over the inside corner with a sharp late break. That's a pitch he didn't have last year, but saw the Cleveland Ace Klubot use it with tremendous success for the past two years. So Bauer worked on that pitch tirelessly- imitating, learning from the best.
    DD's coaches at her college spent the last practice of the fall having the pitchers compare pitch grips and they all listened and learned why they use it and why they were taught that way to begin with. I think that's great because players can always learn from others success. One must put ego aside, but if it makes you better, everyone benefits.
    It was also interesting how the MLB pitchers have gone through an evolution and had to adapt- where breaking balls, particularly 12/6 (vertical) curveballs have taken over as the go to pitch. Players have learned to lay off the slider, they have conditioned themselves to hit 98 mph fastballs- so as these hitters adjust, the good pitchers have all developed a great vertical curveball which has neutralized the batters evolution.
    As DD is a pitcher in college and now has 4-5 pitches that she can use, I would love it if she had a pitch that she could throw that would imitate a true 12-6 curveball. Sure, a dropball and peeldrop rotate the same, but are usually thrown with the velocity of the fastball, maybe a little slower. But I havent seen an effective 'big hook' drop ball that comes shoulder high then drops sharply over the strike zone, perhaps in the low 50 mph range. Thoughts to all you pitcher mom and dads and instructors? I know Coach jwb might be able to shed some light on this one...

PS. I apologize for the post that started out as a kudos, morphed into analysis, then ended in a question, but hey, its Friday.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 857/16
    Given: 388/2

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Trevor Bauer

I didnt need to see this.........
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=16UOUTLAWSPREMIER&s=softball

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 34/0
    Given: 10/1

I am not a pitcher or pitching coach (I was a catcher in college and spent lots of time with our pitchers in the bullpen) but I do not think it is possible for a softball pitcher to throw the drop ball around shoulder high and drop into the strike zone. Due to the angle of the release and ball spin, the pitcher would have to throw the ball higher first around shoulder level and then have it drop down; so having to try to throw a rise ball that drops off at the end? I just do not think it is physically possible. The reason it makes sense for a baseball pitcher to have such a big hook on their curveball is due to the spin and release height/angle.

IMO I think it is more beneficial for a pitcher to have a great drop ball that starts mid thigh and then drops out of the strike zone rather than the pitch starting at the knees and then dropping to the ankles. Boy oh boy did I love to hit some low pitches but I felt it easier to see the drop ball spin at the lower angle (from knees dropping to ankles) and was able to lay off of that pitch more.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 587/8
    Given: 367/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HITTER23 View Post
    I didnt need to see this.........
    Sorry, not being insensitive...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,556/8
    Given: 1,323/7

I got nothing other than that Bauer's curve is wicked and that I am an Indians season ticket holder (20 games plus all playoff games) and am loving the heck out of these games ... sorry, Chris!
    Jeff Baker

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 98/0
    Given: 4/0

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I would love to see more softball pitchers master their change up and even better develop a knuckle change to freeze the batter. A pitcher who can spot their change up and will use it on any count has a huge advantage. Keep the batter guessing. I have seen college pitchers be successful with great command of one movement pitch and an awesome change up.

Bauer has an unbelievable work ethic and great mental focus. Once he puts his mind to something he doesn't stop until he masters it. He spends his off season training both mentally and physically. My son spent time training at the same place he does in Texas during November and December and said he is a fanatic in his practice sessions. His mental game has come a long way and it is what makes the Indians pitching staff so great. They have great confidence, composure, and focus.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 222/9
    Given: 46/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Don't worry Chris it will all be over for your Yanks.Remember there young and weren't even supposed to be there,very weak division this year.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 857/16
    Given: 388/2

Quote Originally Posted by okiedad1961 View Post
    Don't worry Chris it will all be over for your Yanks.Remember there young and weren't even supposed to be there,very weak division this year.
    Were not done yet !!! If Girardi had challenged that hit by pitch call like he should have, they were out of that inning and could be up 2-1 right now. We have our supposed ace going tonight so we still have a shot.

Honestly, this is hard to watch as im a die hard Yanks fan, but i like to see the mistake by the lake win one .....
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=16UOUTLAWSPREMIER&s=softball

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 263/3
    Given: 105/3

Quote Originally Posted by HITTER23 View Post
    Were not done yet !!! If Girardi had challenged that hit by pitch call like he should have, they were out of that inning and could be up 2-1 right now. We have our supposed ace going tonight so we still have a shot.
    If Aaron Judge wasn't as tall as a oak, we'd have the brooms out.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 263/3
    Given: 105/3

Quote Originally Posted by klinder View Post
    I would love to see more softball pitchers master their change up and even better develop a knuckle change to freeze the batter. A pitcher who can spot their change up and will use it on any count has a huge advantage. Keep the batter guessing. I have seen college pitchers be successful with great command of one movement pitch and an awesome change up.
    DD had one but was never called in games so she stopped working on it. When it worked it was dancing and had the girls guessing....but if not....we all know Hammy's voice when Lindor gets into one. LOL