We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting Advice for 2022 Pitcher , Looking for Help

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 35/2
    Given: 77/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Recruiting Advice for 2022 Pitcher , Looking for Help

My question is without breaking the bank , what are some of the best ROI's in terms of getting daughter seen. A week ago my DD hit 62mph at a local D2 camp, she pitched 5 innings over 2 days and more than held her own. After watching her compete against some older girls, some committed recruits, I started to think what I could do better over the next couple years. She plays on solid team with good reputation, last year played in Stingrays, Lasers and Aunt Rosie as a 13u team. We are looking to ad 1 or 2 more showcase type of events this summer possibly team NJ. I think we play a pretty decent schedule allowing to us to play up in 16u if needed in local showcases. We attended the Stingrays camp this year , but it was basically a wash out will try again this summer. Got her into the Winter Kent State camp and will try to add 1 or 2 more if possible. Thoughts on Queen of Diamonds ? What about recruiting services like : NCSA, CaptainU even at the basic service level ..So far she has the grades in Middle school, with Straight A's. She sends emails to a list of coaches and schools and has filled out the player profile page on about 30 schools. So far I think we have been on the right track , what should we be doing next ? Am I being blinded about the possibility of throwing 65 by the summer of 2019 ? Thank you for any helpful ideas
    Last edited by wpaguy; 10-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 263/3
    Given: 105/3

Re: Recruiting Advice for 2022 Pitcher , Looking for Help

Did you have a video made out? I'd skip the recruiting services if your coaches have great relationships with college coaches. But the key...does she have a recruiting video? That's what helped my dd immensely along with Warren reaching out to college coaches. Granted mine were more of actual game film than anything.

Is you dd reaching out to college coaches? If she hasn't and doesn't have a video done...get that done and have her email those coaches with the video. They get hundreds of emails and will not take the time if no video is attached.

What are her aspirations? That's the key to the whole thing.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 232/3
    Given: 312/3

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Depending on what type of school she wants to attend, I'd say sign her up for the ACT. IMO, the earlier they take it, the better. If you take it in 8th or early 9th grade when there is no pressure, they will get valuable experience with the test and get a feel for their strengths and weaknesses. Of course there will be some concepts/skills on the test they will not have learned yet; however, there is a lot that they will have had - especially in the reading and English areas. Just the process of taking the test more times will almost always increase their score due to familiarity with the process, pacing, content, etc. Not to be snarky, but these days almost everyone has a 4.0 (or close). You don't want to be blindsided as a junior thinking that since your DD is a 4.0 student, the ACT will be a breeze. Then she gets a 17 and you realize she has tons of work to do when it is already crunch time.
    Last edited by Irish196; 10-09-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 371/6
    Given: 169/4

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Should probably come to Shawnee St for a more closer evaluation. . LOL

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 587/8
    Given: 367/2

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If your DD is in 8th grade and throwing 62 legit already, then I have to say you don't have to do too much. In fact, allow her to enjoy other sports and play on a fun competitive club, summer only, 6 tournies max this year. Playing tons of events as an eighth grader wont serve you much and could lead to burnout, etc. If she is nearing 65 as a sophomore, then hit the fall circuits and all showcases in the summer, and maybe join a club like the Beverly Bandits and the college coaches will find you, not the other way around lol. What I am saying is throwing a legitimate 65 mph at any point in HS is your ticket to pretty much any major D1 school around. Not many girls will throw 65 in their careers. High schoolers like Taran Alvelo did in high school, pretty much legendary, though.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by brownsfan View Post
    Did you have a video made out? I'd skip the recruiting services if your coaches have great relationships with college coaches. But the key...does she have a recruiting video? That's what helped my dd immensely along with Warren reaching out to college coaches. Granted mine were more of actual game film than anything.

Is you dd reaching out to college coaches? If she hasn't and doesn't have a video done...get that done and have her email those coaches with the video. They get hundreds of emails and will not take the time if no video is attached.

What are her aspirations? That's the key to the whole thing.

Thanks , Video was my next thought. Skills video or actual Game footage ? I was thinking about creating a YouTube channel and start uploading clips of game action ...Aspirations for her and me may be a little different. I just want her to go to a good school and get a degree in something that will set her up in life so DI, DII or DIII does not really matter ...But at the same time want her to have fun and play ...

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by lewam3 View Post
    If your DD is in 8th grade and throwing 62 legit already, then I have to say you don't have to do too much. In fact, allow her to enjoy other sports and play on a fun competitive club, summer only, 6 tournies max this year. Playing tons of events as an eighth grader wont serve you much and could lead to burnout, etc. If she is nearing 65 as a sophomore, then hit the fall circuits and all showcases in the summer, and maybe join a club like the Beverly Bandits and the college coaches will find you, not the other way around lol. What I am saying is throwing a legitimate 65 mph at any point in HS is your ticket to pretty much any major D1 school around. Not many girls will throw 65 in their careers. High schoolers like Taran Alvelo did in high school, pretty much legendary, though.
    Thank for advice , I almost did not want to even mention the speed thing because there a lot of other factors to this thing, spin , movement ...etc . Also the fact of the matter is not every pitch is 61-62mph ...I bet her game average is 59-60 when she is in her groove. I have been tracking her progress for the last 3 years and she seems to add 2-3mph each year. I hoping she grows another 1-2 inches and gets stronger as she gets older. that with proper training and form should get her where she wants to go. Funny thing is she sets these goals not me. I just try my best to help

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 263/3
    Given: 105/3

Quote Originally Posted by wpaguy View Post
    Thanks , Video was my next thought. Skills video or actual Game footage ? I was thinking about creating a YouTube channel and start uploading clips of game action ...Aspirations for her and me may be a little different. I just want her to go to a good school and get a degree in something that will set her up in life so DI, DII or DIII does not really matter ...But at the same time want her to have fun and play ...
    Skills video will work best, especially if she can hit.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 558/9
    Given: 883/0

Quote Originally Posted by lewam3 View Post
    If she is nearing 65 as a sophomore, then hit the fall circuits and all showcases in the summer, and maybe join a club like the Beverly Bandits...
    I'd get her on the best team you can, right now. She's an 8th grader, so waiting until she's a sophomore, I feel many elite pitchers will have probably caught up to her or at least be in the same neighborhood as her. Many pitcher's will have already formed relationships with these teams and the teams will stick with who they know, there is a familiarity there. I just feel getting your dd on a highly competitive team is the best thing you can do for her. Plus, if she is playing rec travel teams/rec travel tournaments or similar, college coaches are less likely to see her. I'm not sure the opportunity will be there to get her on an elite team, if you don't play as high level now as you can, as soon as you can, you are taking a chance. But, maybe I don't know anything?!?

Another thought, when you play on some of these elite teams, I feel every other team will play your dd's team differently than if she played on a B level team. It just seems like everyone wants bragging rights about taking down a good team. In general, hitters see better pitchers, teams usually only bat 9, they play with their best defense, they are always pumped up and screaming, etc. and will just "bring it" when playing an A-level travel team. I think it's consistently better play on an A-level team and if it doesn't kill her confidence, it will make her stronger!

Good luck!
    Jen Justice-Carter

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 228/2
    Given: 285/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If what I hear is true, she's already on a team that will get her exposure. My question is does she even know what she wants to go to school for?