We have move to are new Softball community site. The New Forum is up and running, with many more feature coming. Follow the Link below for the new site.
https://www.thesoftballzone.com/community/index.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recruiting Advice for 2022 Pitcher , Looking for Help

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 35/2
    Given: 77/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Recruiting Advice for 2022 Pitcher , Looking for Help

Quote Originally Posted by snoman76 View Post
    If what I hear is true, she's already on a team that will get her exposure. My question is does she even know what she wants to go to school for?
    Now, that's the real question does she really know what she wants to do now and how many times will that change in the next 2-3 years. Right now its Physical Therapy and Teaching. She is on a good team, we play a competitive A schedule in my opinion. Did not want the post to turn into what organization is the best because we are Happy were we are at. I was looking for ideas that will help without Breaking the Bank...Skills video seems to be the #1 thing that is a must, so we will be working on that next. In regards to Recruiting services , seems most say stay away from them. We have used the free profile options and thought about taking advantage of the lower level offers that cost about $150.00 a year. Would love to hear more about the best camps that have the most college coaches attend. Will be at Kent State in January and plan on attending 2-3 more this winter.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 457/0
    Given: 3/0

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lots of good advice, no question but here is the most important.

If she actually hits 65MPH and has a working speed of 59-60 as a 13 year old get her some good instruction on the breaking pitches BUT.....DON"T let her over pitch.

Get her on a team with 3 other solid pitchers. She's a kid and still growing. Sure some D-1 22-year old threw every inning of every playoff game but she's not your daughter. The pitching motion is not free in spite of what people tell you. Every pitch extracts a toll on her body. At 13 she shouldn't be throwing more than a couple of games a weekend. Say 250 pitches. Have her learn a quick warm-up so she is ready to go in less than 10-minutes, (don't confuse a warm-up with a work-out) SO her weekend throws are limited. When she is 22 and throwing in the D-1 World Series game three maybe she still will be able to throw at 65MPH+.

She will be found and recruited if she does NOT get injured. Protect her. I witnessed a young women that was a serious D-1 prospect but one weekend she was the only pitcher her team had and she pitched them into the final game in Sunday. Two weeks later she still couldn't get her hand over her head. She never played in college.

Do not let anyone abuse your dd including you.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 228/2
    Given: 285/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I would avoid recruiting services, not worth the money.

IMO, with the schedule you will be playing (assuming i'm correct in my thinking) she will be seen and recruited.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 362/0
    Given: 329/0

Quote Originally Posted by Fairman View Post
    BUT.....DON"T let her over pitch.

Get her on a team with 3 other solid pitchers. She's a kid and still growing. Sure some D-1 22-year old threw every inning of every playoff game but she's not your daughter. The pitching motion is not free in spite of what people tell you. Every pitch extracts a toll on her body. At 13 she shouldn't be throwing more than a couple of games a weekend... maybe she still will be able to throw at 65MPH+.

She will be found and recruited if she does NOT get injured. Protect her. I witnessed a young women that was a serious D-1 prospect but one weekend she was the only pitcher her team had and she pitched them into the final game in Sunday. Two weeks later she still couldn't get her hand over her head. She never played in college.

Do not let anyone abuse your dd including you.
    Very interesting... just talked with an ex-D1 college baseball player who said in boy's baseball parents are now refusing to let their boys pitch at the younger ages because the belief is exactly as Fairman stated... "every pitch extracts a toll..." I really don't know if there truly is a big difference in the cumulative wear and tear on a boy's arm vs. girl's arm after pitching heavy innings years on end. But watching girls now hitting mid-60s, sometimes by 8th grade, I'm not so sure I would believe that myth if my daughter were a hard-throwing pitcher. While I do believe a girl's motion may be somewhat more forgiving, I would still approach these recruiting years with the idea that there is no scholarship if she can't continue to get stronger and stay healthy. I'm sure nearly every coach can tell you disaster stories of young phenoms not playing softball due to being overused... I personally know of several... not always the arm either. Great advice!
    Last edited by tjsmize3; 10-11-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift...
    Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it... (Steve Prefontaine)

Tom Schmeiser
    Outlaws '03 Schmeiser

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 48/0
    Given: 132/1

Quote Originally Posted by tjsmize3 View Post
    Very interesting... just talked with an ex-D1 college baseball player who said in boy's baseball parents are now refusing to let their boys pitch at the younger ages because the belief is exactly as Fairman stated... "every pitch extracts a toll..." I really don't know if there truly is a big difference in the cumulative wear and tear on a boy's arm vs. girl's arm after pitching heavy innings years on end. But watching girls now hitting mid-60s, sometimes by 8th grade, I'm not so sure I would believe that myth if my daughter were a hard-throwing pitcher. While I do believe a girl's motion may be somewhat more forgiving, I would still approach these recruiting years with the idea that there is no scholarship if she can't continue to get stronger and stay healthy. I'm sure nearly every coach can tell you disaster stories of young phenoms not playing softball due to being overused... I personally know of several... not always the arm either. Great advice!
    My daughter is a freshman pitcher at a D1 school this year and to TJs point, she has been going to a personal trainer to develop her core strength as well as overall physical condition for several years. She did this consistently throughout the year and not just a few weeks or months before a season. I believe this helped her endurance. We also built in a short rest period between the summer season and the fall season as well as a slightly longer rest period between fall season and any winter indoor games or workouts, including pitching lessons. (A total break)

As it relates to recruiting, a competitive schedule is good, having talent is necessary and having a coach that advocates for her is good too, but she will get her self recruited by performing in front of coaches. The more opportunities she has to perform in front of coaches, the more opportunity she has to get recruited.

Finally, my daughter did not verbal until shortly after her junior year in high school. She knew what she wanted to do at that point, she found a school that had her exact double major, her visit was great and she liked the coaches. With all of these things in mind, she is a VERY HAPPY freshman softball player. That is what all of us want for our daughters. So, don't panic and choose a school just to say your daughter has verbally committed.