Glove breaking in; know an expert?

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend someone to break in a new catcher's glove? It is an expensive glove and we want it done professionally. Any referrals are appreciated.

Supertech

Reaction score
I agree with wwolf. Bought a catchers glove from him 2 years ago. Just before the 1 year was up a couple of laces were coming loose. Sent it back to him. he repaired the lacing and tighten the entire glove at no charge. Also, Dick's Sporting Goods does a decent job with the steamer and will do gloves that were not purchased from them as well.

Westler33

Reaction score
You will have to steam it more than once for a catchers mitt. My dd has a diamond catchers mitt and we had it steamed at Dicks and had to go back the next day and have it done again because when she putt it on the next day it was just as stiff and when we got it.

wow

Reaction score
Would not use the steamer. One of the best and oldest glove makers Nokona advise against any heat. Steam , oven, or microwave. Best way is to play catch and use a glove conditioner sparingly. You don't want it to get too heavy. Play catch with a weighted ball as this does speed up the break in. Also the best leathers will conform to your hand so let the DD break it in. There is no shortcut to a well broken in glove. Its worth the time to do it right. Lots of video out there using water, steam, foam. Its really up to you, but if its a $200.00+ glove just take your time with it.

From the Nokona website:

[When getting your glove ready, we suggest that you play catch and break in your glove or mitt naturally. This will allow your glove to form a natural pocket around your hand. You may be familiar with different methods and "quick fixes" to shortcut the break-in period. Unfortunately, we have seen the sad results of many of these over the past 80 years. You may also use Nokona Leather Treatment (NLT), our classic glove conditioner, to help with the break-in.

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
AGREE DO NOT STEAM THEM. Talk to Mike The Glove Dr., and he will explain why it's not good for the glove.

Last edited:

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
From the Nokona website:

[When getting your glove ready, we suggest that you play catch and break in your glove or mitt naturally. This will allow your glove to form a natural pocket around your hand. You may be familiar with different methods and "quick fixes" to shortcut the break-in period. Unfortunately, we have seen the sad results of many of these over the past 80 years. You may also use Nokona Leather Treatment (NLT), our classic glove conditioner, to help with the break-in.
Here's a post claiming NLT is just petroleum jelly.

Vaseline, aka petroleum jelly is fine. That's what is in the Nokona tubes. Back before Nokona sold it, it recommended on their web site to put it (petroleum jelly) on thick, work it in and then get as much back off as you can.

Another poster recommended treating the interior lining to protect it against sweat.

We only used Neats Foot oil on gloves growing up. It was sold in the sporting good store. Wilson says not to use it to break in, but ok for conditioning. The best tip I got was to oil the lining to protect the glove from sweat. I had a Wilson A2000 that lasted for years until someone walked away with it when I set it down one day coaching Thing 1's 8u rec team. I used the Nokona gel for the kid's A2000 but never oiled the lining and the wrist strap broke on the inside because of the sweat. Ruined the glove.

MD 20/20

Reaction score
Only problem with glove Dr. is he is not breaking in gloves not purchased from him any longer. I called him on a glove last spring and he said they were so busy with their own that they weren't breaking in outside gloves. He is great to deal/talk with, but I will agree with Warren, Mike himself did tell me NOT to steam a glove....EVER

mstat00

Reaction score
We buy our gloves from mike ( glove-doctor) as well, over the last 4 yrs.
But even after he gets it to fit and softens it up. I set up a pitching machine and shoot balls at around 45-50 mph for dd to catch? After about 2-3 Times of doing this the glove forms a nice pocket and still keep the shape that fits her hand best.
It works for us?