exposure, too early or not early enough

softball24_7

Reaction score
Have a question that I've been searching for answers .. I've read numerous articles, stories, as well as talk with a few others around me in our softball community... But, I'm still undecided and or just not enough convincing???? But, at what age or is there a right age for your DD to start playing tourneys for exposure? Do you feel that you would have the same success waiting until 15/16u to start playing for exposure (big org, traveling across the us), or starting at 14u?? I'm not saying at 14u to just lay down, but play with a decent org that gets into 1-2 big Ohio tourneys, send out a couple emails to coaches, and attend a few camps.. Then at 15/16 find the right team to get the exposure?? Is it worth spending a small fortune on traveling expenses at 14u?

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
You are right, this is a tough question. How far away from home does your DD want to go to college? Then, what does she want to major in? Then, what level does she really want?, D1, 2, 3, or NAIA? If D1, you need to be getting exposure at 14U and going to camps. Those answers will determine what type of team to try-out for and when to start hard-core exposure.

There are numerous travel coaches on here that have been doing this for a while and can jump on and give more details. Just remember, teenage girls change their minds, a lot. One week she will want to stay close to home, the next week she wants to go to school on the west coast. Be prepared for the ride.

GeneralsDad

Reaction score
If D1 is the goal it honestly starts before 14U. You have to be ready to shine when you are on the stage. This is mostly accomplished through hard work off the field, but it's crucial to play the best competition you can before getting there. Who and where you play matters. Not many teams have the resume to play on the right fields in the big tournaments. We started at 14U and almost missed the boat.

softball24_7

Reaction score
At 13u, were just now getting started. She's emailed a few coaches and sent out her profile. As far as location and size, (D1, etc.) she hasn't really decided on anything. Of course she has 2-3 dream schools that she would love to attend. As far as majoring, she's wanting to do something in the education area to become a teacher. I just don't want to "hurt" her chances on getting recruited for not getting the exposure that she may need at 14u?? If that makes sense... We're /I'm just confused if we should search out a showcase type team for next year, or if we should wait till 15/16u... If we could just win the lottery it'd be a no brainer, lol..

softball24_7

Reaction score
If D1 is the goal it honestly starts before 14U. You have to be ready to shine when you are on the stage. This is mostly accomplished through hard work off the field, but it's crucial to play the best competition you can before getting there. Who and where you play matters. Not many teams have the resume to play on the right fields in the big tournaments. We started at 14U and almost missed the boat.
I completely agree with who you play matters.. As far as putting time in off the field, she's definitely good at that. As a parent, I'd rather her place the toughest competition that she can and lose then to go out and run rule a mediocre team.. Also agree with the org name, I know just having the right team name plays a huge part on just getting into tourneys.. Our location doesnt help matters either, being in S.E. Ohio, options are pretty limited without driving half way across the state for practices.. But, if it has to be done, ya just gotta do it.

Last edited:

lewam3

Reaction score
I completely agree with who you play matters.. As far as putting time in off the field, she's definitely good at that. As a parent, I'd rather her place the toughest competition that she can and lose then to go out and run rule a mediocre team.. Also agree with the org name, I know just having the right team name plays a huge part on just getting into tourneys.. Our location doesnt help matters either, being in S.E. Ohio, options are pretty limited without driving half way across the state for practices.. But, if it has to be done, ya just gotta do it.

I may be wrong on this, but if I were a D1 coach, the only 14 year old players that would catch my eye are the 14 yo players that play like they are 18yo. There is no "potential" to be seen in a player who has the height, speed, power, etc of a good 14yo. Look at the kids that are committing in 8th grade or 9th grade, they could play for any 18yo gold team. So 14yo is fine to start to get the camps and showcases on the resume, but unless you are that 14 yo kid that just WOWS everyone at the park or combine, don't get disappointed if the coaches don't call right away

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Have a question that I've been searching for answers .. I've read numerous articles, stories, as well as talk with a few others around me in our softball community... But, I'm still undecided and or just not enough convincing???? But, at what age or is there a right age for your DD to start playing tourneys for exposure? Do you feel that you would have the same success waiting until 15/16u to start playing for exposure (big org, traveling across the us), or starting at 14u?? I'm not saying at 14u to just lay down, but play with a decent org that gets into 1-2 big Ohio tourneys, send out a couple emails to coaches, and attend a few camps.. Then at 15/16 find the right team to get the exposure?? Is it worth spending a small fortune on traveling expenses at 14u?

We have had a huge amount of success with helping girls receive D1 scholarships, as well as others and would be willing to talk to you or anyone else that has questions. I just really enjoy helping the girls. Please don't hesitate to give me a call with any questions you may have about the process.
Have a great day!
Warren
216-704-9908

And in short it is never to early if you are talking D1

Louuuuu

Reaction score
Don't get all caught up in being on an "Exposure" team.

If the player has the skills, and contacts the coaches on her wish list, she will be seen. Some people spend a ton of money getting onto an exposure team and going to exposure tournaments across the country only to find out that they're not getting any offers.

Remember that 15 years ago, there were no "Exposure" teams/tournaments, yet college coaches always filled their rosters...

Have the skills first. The rest will take care of itself.

snoman76

Reaction score
I may be wrong on this, but if I were a D1 coach, the only 14 year old players that would catch my eye are the 14 yo players that play like they are 18yo. There is no "potential" to be seen in a player who has the height, speed, power, etc of a good 14yo. Look at the kids that are committing in 8th grade or 9th grade, they could play for any 18yo gold team. So 14yo is fine to start to get the camps and showcases on the resume, but unless you are that 14 yo kid that just WOWS everyone at the park or combine, don't get disappointed if the coaches don't call right away

Exactly! I've heard first hand from coaches from D1 down to JUCO and they are saying 16 is where they are looking unless, like lewam said, your are that standout stud at 14 that could play 18's. I'm not saying that you won't catch a coaches eye at 14 and possibly get on their radar but 16's is where the majority are being looked at.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
I think now would be a good time for college coaches to add their two cents worth. When do they start seriously looking at potential players?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You dont need to hear from college coaches - All you need to do is go to some showcase tourneys to watch some of the best teams in the 13U / 14u division and you can see for yourself that yes indeed there are college coaches watching the games. If they were not looking for 14u players to recruit, i dont thing they would be standing their with their notebooks taking notes on players. We had a coach ask to see a certain catcher that was playing SS at the current time and the coach asked to see her catch. Next inning she was catching. (this was last weekend at the Outlaws showcase at Victory park) 14U.

the colleges want to be the first to get a good look at any "special" players especially at 14u. JMHO

Fairman

Reaction score
Since we play softball in the spring and summer, the senior year is almost useless for exposure. Commitments both ways, must be made at the end of a players junior year regardless of her age. This seems to push everything up a year compared to the fall and winter sports. So while your dd is trying to decide what to do with the rest of her life her BB friends are discussing makeup and boys. It will come at you fast and well before her compatriots in other sports. Good Luck

FastBat

Reaction score
Remember that 15 years ago, there were no "Exposure" teams/tournaments, yet college coaches always filled their rosters...

It used to be college coaches filled their rosters without "exposure teams/tourneys," fast forward 15 years, now they have "exposure teams/tourneys."
I think players interested in playing beyond HS should attend these tourneys because 1. It couldn't hurt. 2. Sometimes new and more efficient ways become helpful to these coaches.
I just have no idea what age they should start??

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I would say start at 13/14 years old attending college camps and combines like Queen of Diamonds or NFCA events.
Find out where the ladies talent falls...If they are talented they will get some attention from college coaches.
I know of several ladies that did not play high level travel ball but made college softball teams from D1 to NAIA by having good communication and follow up with a coach. (A couple never played any travel ball).

IMO attending camps of colleges you have an interest in is a must (especially, if you are looking to play D1/D2). Tournament play is just play "not exposure" if the player has not been contacting coaches.
Most of the time college coaches at showcase events have a list of ladies they are there to see, They have game and field information and schedule time to see these players. Occasionally, a coach may run across a player not already on their radar but that is rare especially at the higher levels of play.

Outside of working on softball skills a lot of homework needs to go into choosing a school and making sure the player can meet admission standards and it is a good educational fit.
Parents also needs to make sure the school is a good financial fit since most will have out of pocket of 50% or more.

Last edited: