Last HS ball season???

larrybowman

Reaction score
Just wondering who else out there has a senior DD who's in her last season of HS ball? I've realized as much as some folks hate the HS season I am going to miss it terribly! More in part due to the fact that I wont see my DD on that field again after this season but just watching her interact with the girls she has grown up with..... We probably wont have a great team but I don't even care about that. This last season I'm going to soak everything up I can, I will not miss a single game (never have). When they have senior night the Dads come out and throw the ball with there DD one last time..... holy sh** thats gonna be rough!!!! It'll take dark sunglasses and a stiff upper lip to control my emotions on that day....So as my DD hs career comes to an end I've realized just how special this sport has been for the both of us. It's provided my DD with a scholarship to further her education while playing the sport she loves, and has given her and I countless hours together just as a Dad and Daughter! This sport has brought me and my DD so close over the last .....my goodness has it been 11 yrs!!???? I sit here typing this with tears in my eyes, and pride in my heart. Best of luck to all the seniors this year, and best of luck to all the Dads and Moms who sit in the stands on that final day, of that final inning, during that final out......... and realize its done..... heartbreaking and awesome all in one! God I'm gonna miss it, hard to express the feelings...... good luck all! Shout out to my DD Kayla, I love you girl more than you'll ever realize! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments!

DJB11

Reaction score
Good stuff Larry. This is my daughter's senior year at Mason. I am excited for the season to get here, but not excited about it ending.

crystlemc

Reaction score
I feel you, Larry. It will be hard watching Maggie play her last year of ball. So much time, money, and emotion in ested that so many parents outside travel sports don't ever get to experience with their child. We have raised great kids. Good luck to K!

0203bbmom

Reaction score
As we begin our first year of high school ball, I'd like to ask the veteran players and parents...what, if anything, would you have done differently? What advice do you have for the ladies just beginning their high school career?

daboss

Reaction score
The larrybowmans' of the softball world are finally seeing things come full circle and reflecting back they can finally see what the true meaning of the journey was all about. Have a wonderful last season and soak it in.

As for the question of "what would any of us have done differently" be sure to take plenty of pic.s and film whatever you can so you can cherish those special moments for a life time. Personally, I found having my head buried in a camera helped me keep my mouth shut and let the girls play the game. lol

MD 20/20

Reaction score
I have a senior as well, but my younger is only a sophomore, so I still will have 2 more years. to 0203, Enjoy it and really just sit back and enjoy watching your child play every inning. We get so wrapped up in wanting our kids to be the best that we end up watching them through "coach goggles" for every pitch, which by the way, isn't our job, that we really miss the enjoyment of watching our kids grow as players and human beings. Nobody, and I mean nobody was born a superstar. They all made mistakes and learned from them. For your daughter, I would say, work hard and enjoy it. There is a different kind of satisfaction that comes from representing your school/community.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Great post, Larry ... despite all of it's faults, high school ball can be a very rewarding experience for the players and their parents, and unfortunately some don't realize it until it's too late. Where is the DD going to play in college at, if I can ask? Best of luck to her, and to your DD's as well, Dave and Crystle ...

chixdad

Reaction score
Sit back, relax, take pictures and enjoy seeing your travel friends at the games as well. Seeing friends at the games was the best part for me, HS program sucked, coach didn't care. He has been replaced by jv coach, lots of drama the last couple of years with her. Kinda glad we are done and don't have to deal with her. Now we see what college softball will be like.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
It's My DD's First season of High School Ball - Our stud pitcher just graduated this past year leaving a BIG hole.
DD played well and was probably the most consistent pitcher through fall ball but a Freshman making Varsity would be a big deal at her school and the fact that there are 6 other pitchers trying out...
It is going to be an interesting year -

All the bad things I have heard, I was very worried that School ball would be horrible - But honestly it's been great.
The coaching staff is knowledgeable and supportive the program seems to be run well - But we will see...

Last edited:

larrybowman

Reaction score
Great post, Larry ... despite all of it's faults, high school ball can be a very rewarding experience for the players and their parents, and unfortunately some don't realize it until it's too late. Where is the DD going to play in college at, if I can ask? Best of luck to her, and to your DD's as well, Dave and Crystle ...

She will be playing at the University of Rio Grande. Small NAIA school, but my DD absolutely loved it when we went down for her visit. Great coach in Mr. Hammond, and the Rio girls are super supportive for her. I know some folks think D1 or bust but this school was just the perfect fit for my kid. It will be fun going to see her play there......

coachjwb

Reaction score
Larry ... that's great to hear! They have a really good program there, and Coach Hammond seems like a great guy ... I've had the opportunity the past couple of years to do wristband systems for him. Best wishes to your DD in her last high school year and next 4 years in college!

larrybowman

Reaction score
Larry ... that's great to hear! They have a really good program there, and Coach Hammond seems like a great guy ... I've had the opportunity the past couple of years to do wristband systems for him. Best wishes to your DD in her last high school year and next 4 years in college!

Thanks so much!

larrybowman

Reaction score
Visited there last sunday for recruit day

Nice campus, you kinda have to like the idea of a smaller school I guess. Very good softball team as well. My DD is going into nursing, and they have a very good program there for that.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
Mine is interested in radiology, one of just a handful that offer a bs in it.
Grew up about 20 miles from there, tried to explain the isolation to the DD, lol
Never has been anything around that area

Fairman

Reaction score
Larry
My dd played for Point Park also an NAIA school that played Rio.
Rio has a great program and pushed PPU to play their best.

It allowed her to play collegiate softball but still participate in many other aspects of college.
It also allowed her to make a contribution her freshman year and not sit for a couple years waiting for a chance.

The NAIA experience was great for my dd.
Good Luck
Tom

PS: if you think you are in trouble with her senior year in high school just wait until her senior year in college.
Enjoy all the games you can and for goodness sake plan on going on the road with the team. (four games in two days)
Maybe even a couple times to Florida for the spring games (ten games in 6 days)

dq1522

Reaction score
My DD is a senior this year and I am just trying not to think about it... maybe if I live in denial she won't grow up! I know this is going to be really tough on me and we still haven't made a college decision... Every time I ride in a car to a lesson or to a game I think about it being our last time and how far we have come. So many opportunities for her to give up and stop playing/pitching but she loves it and that makes me happy. Now the decision of if I should have my 7 year old play... I am thinking golf is the way to go this time ;)

NotDeaf

Reaction score
When they have senior night the Dads come out and throw the ball with there DD one last time..... holy sh** thats gonna be rough!!!!

I'm in the same boat. What a crazy, fun ride it's been.... one piece of advise for senior night... sunglasses. It'll hide all the dust that'll be in the air, that will make your eye 'water'

bman0303

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has posted here. It makes my eyes water and my dd is 12. All those tears mean is you are proud of what a great job you have done with your daughters. God bless all of you.