Softball and Medical Degree?

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
My daughter is leaning towards nursing as a major. Whats schools/coaches are willing to work this as a major?
Thanks.

My DD was also looking as nursing as a major when she was going through the process. A lot of schools tried to sway her to a different major or, tried to get her into a major that had no nursing pathway EX: Exercise science, Sports training, Physical Therapy, Medical coding, Medical Administration etc.
So, be careful. My DD decided on a school where she could play 2 sports first two years then limited play junior year during clinicals.

Last edited:

FastBat

Reaction score
/\/\/\/\Most programs for a BSN are structured like this:
Freshmen year: Pre-reqs, all classroom
(If not a direct admit nursing school, the students apply after this year, they get admitted based on their GPA and class rank.)
Sophomore year: Classroom and clinicals (in nursing home)
Junior year: Classroom and clinicals (more intense, really seeing more serious stuff clinicals in hospitals)
Senior year: Classroom and intense clinicals (in hospitals, including preceptorship- working as an RN, with full-time schedule)

If it takes five years, then usually there are two years of pre-reqs, including all classroom work the second year, pushing back the sophomore, junior, senior years. That's probably the way to go for softball playing nursing majors. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
At Edison State Community College we are willing to work with Nursing students as we have a few nursing students on the team currently.

Nick Clutter,
Assistant Coach Edison State

RedStormDad

Reaction score
My DD is majoring in Nursing at The University of Rio Grande. Coach Hammond has 4-5 girls in that major. He didn't try to sway her or get her to major in anything else. She found that to a major plus when making her decision on schools. Its an NAIA school, not sure if that matters or not, but my kid is LOVING it there and getting an education at a major discount to Mom and Dad. She loves it, loves the girls, loves the coach, and shes the starting catcher as a Freshman. Rio is a great school to consider for nursing when looking around. Hope your DD finds the school of her dreams and has a blast, best of luck to you!!!