Community Incolvement

Lil

Reaction score
We live in an area with small township school districts. Our feeder program is struggling to maintain enough girls into higher level softball because our community has strong soccer, field hockey, lacrosse etc teams. What ideas do you have to build a program from the ground up?

daboss

Reaction score
Starts at your recreational leagues... You have to build a softball culture in your area for any real change...

Absolutely the best place to start. Cards referring to "building a softball culture" is so so spot on.

The fact that you are aware of the other interests that is currently winning the hearts of girls and families speaks volumes of your character. At least you know your enemy. I'm just joking of course but again, good for you for recognizing the issue Lil.

I'm going to warn you it won't be easy. It won't happen overnight. You may not win but with some long term planning you can make a difference.

The first thing I would recommend is taking a good look at the programs in your area and see what got them at such a high level in your local culture. Basketball was one of the first programs in my area offered to the girls. This was a huge opportunity for young ladies to participate. This was followed by volleyball and the rest (sports) were trying to hold on to their coattails. The mindset is these 2 are the primary sports. Your efforts could elevate softball to this status but they are established. Respect them for what they are. Don't try to defeat them.

Most of the time the reasoning behind their popularity (other sports venues) is a passionate coach, staff, and eventually the families that established a supportive core. Remember, it is a game. If the girls aren't enjoying the experience they will be reluctant to play. If the girls are enjoying themselves and a talented coaching staff is leading them, the chances of the program being successful goes way up. Leadership to teach and to pitch the experience to the girls helps in the recruitment and success. You have to sell the game to the community.

Promotion is huge and comes in many forms. One of the sales gimmicks you can employ is to host a tourney in your community. The idea is to get the community flooded with walking billboards (uniforms) walking around town while playing at local fields. Your local girls will see this like flashing a shiny lure and be drawn to ask questions and perhaps going to the parks to watch. If you're lucky enough to put together a local All Star team or have a locally based travel team that could compete, they would help draw more locals to come watch the show. Barnum and Bailey used to parade the circus thru town. This concept still works today.

Be sure your timing is sound. Don't pick a weekend the REC league is playing or your other sports venues have something scheduled. You cannot compete with the county fair. This doesn't need to be a tourney of elite. Actually, if the skill level of the tourney allows locals to compete well, it will probably be in your favor.

Another ploy would be to host a double-header "friendly" at the local park and actually invite 3-4 elite teams to come play each other. Advertise this event. Host it in the evening during the week. Run a concession stand and be a good host. Make the experience to the ballpark a good one. Mingle in the crowd of locals and plant the seed in their heads that we have the talent to do this too. Be sure to include your local REC people to help promote and run the events. The more time they spend at the park the better chance they will fall in love with the game.

The game will sale itself. Use it as the marketing ploy. If your local REC program has a league championship, advertise it to the community. You are trying to plant a seed in hopes it will grow. I believe the game will do this.

What comes next is extremely important;

The last thing is what I chose to do to help promote our game locally. After careful evaluation of our region, I felt the one distinct factor missing in promoting the game was the lack of pitchers needed to field teams. We had enough girls wanting to play but without pitchers to throw strikes even the girls were reluctant to participate. The community mindset was to return to slowpitch softball so they didn't have to sit around watching a walk-fest that took hours. I couldn't accept it. Every dad thinks he's a hitting instructor and some are willing to be volunteer coaches. None of them know how to pitch and most won't take the time to learn. That's what I chose to do to help promote fastpitch. I've lost count how many clinics and seminars I have attended to learn how to pitch and how to teach it. I've bought every tape and CD, and on my own dime I have traveled this country to spend time with the absolute best pitching instructors in the world. I wanted to be sure that I had a handle on the best methods, then began giving pitching lessons to any girl that wanted them ---------- for free. More pitchers, more teams. More sport involvement. Locally, the REC program is thriving. People go to the park in the spring/summer and watch the girls play. The excitement level has elevated and remained at a higher level.

"If you build it, they will come."

Remember; it is a game. They need to enjoy it. Promoting the game for financial gain can be damaging while trying to get families on board. The entertainment value is in the game. The success of the program can leapfrog the game to a higher status but it can only take place if you get them to play the game.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We live in an area with small township school districts. Our feeder program is struggling to maintain enough girls into higher level softball because our community has strong soccer, field hockey, lacrosse etc teams. What ideas do you have to build a program from the ground up?
Start a slow pitch coach pitch league and get the youngest players up and running. i would look at neighboring communities that you can possibly start a new league with them. hard work, lots of time, lots of failures.... you wont be able to do it by yourself. Get a group of other motivated parents to help you start a brand new league-- call it the SSL league - Save Softball League. try to start it in an off season when soccer and those other sports aren't playing , this way you can get them to play and hopefully they gain interest. unless you have another group of parents with kids younger than your kids, your work might go nowhere once your kid gets older and doesn't play anymore. building a program could take many many years. bottom line if your township doesnt have the number of kids to support a league, then your better off going to other communities around you to find softball or---you can just play travelball, I hear it is really fun!