coaching catchers

1. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Blocking the ball

CATCHER: Blocking Teaches catchers how to keep the balls in the dirt in front of them. Equipment: Catchers gear, tennis balls or safety balls. Catchers should have long sleeve shirts on to protect their arms. Procedure: The catcher assumes her stance. The coach or feeder throws the ball so...
  2. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Working on the Pickoff

Working on the Pickoff This is a good drill for all aspects of stealing. Put players at each of the infield positions. Have the rest of the team put on helmets and line up at 1st base. The baserunners will each run the bases in this pattern: lead off, steal. Only one runner on the bases at...
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Footwork getting in the throwing position

CATCHERS: Throwing Footwork Teaches the catcher to get to the proper throwing position quickly and with proper technique. Equipment: Catchers gear and ball. Catchers pair up. One throws and one catches. The catcher assumes her stance as if there is a runner on base. Feet spread , rear end...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers physical strain on the catcher

CATCHING: CATCHER'S CIRCLE DRILL I have briefly detailed one of these drills on the fourm (I will post more later). However, there is one rule that I use with my catchers: They will perform every drill with chest protector & shin guards on (sometimes a mask but it can get pretty hot.) The...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catchers throwing to second an thrid base practice

CATCHING: Cone DRILL One of the best catchers drills I've ever used is to stick a safety cone on its side next to second base(1st base side) and throw balls into the cones from homeplate. Then move cones to 3rd base, doing the same. When I first used this drill I used bigger targets.