rules

1. Rerun

Obstruction or is the runner about ready to be tagged out

Is this Obstruction or is the runner about ready to be tagged out?
  2. P

Passed Balls vs Wild Pitches

I recently had a conversation with my daughter’s catching coach, who played baseball, and he said pitches in the dirt are wild pitches. Here’s the wild pitches so far this year in MLB. Do softball rules on passed balls differ from baseball? I’m curious if the wild pitches shown in this tweet...
  3. C

Curious question on age/birth certs

Just curious - we all have been to tournaments where players seem to look so mature for their age. I have seen a single girl on a team who dwarfs the others, and entire teams that look like college students playing U12. Of course girls all grow and mature differently. So just wondering - does...
  4. Rerun

thunder ending the game in the 6th inning of pool play

Pool Play home team up to bat we’re in the 6 inning. Home team is behind by 1 run they gave up the lead in the 5th inning. Thunder starts and after 1 hour the TD calls the game and reverts back to the 5th inning. Then 10 minutes later they resume play on all diamonds. Is this common practice in...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Is the runner out? Catcher throwing down to second base

Batter strike out swinging, then walk in front of the catcher heading to dugout. The runner on first base is stealing second the catcher throw the ball but hits the batter heading to dugout. What's the call?
  6. reagansdaddy

OHSAA - Foul Poles

Are foul poles mandatory per OHSAA rules? Thanks!
  7. I

NFHS Rule Changes for 2017

Here are some rule changes for NFHS this coming HS season. They are mostly pretty minor. 1-5-2c - The taper of the bat no longer has to be a solid surface. 3-2-1 - All players must have the same uniform. However, the individual states can choose to allow different in the case of religion...
  8. I

2016 ASA Rules Changes

Now that everyone has had the chance to play under the ASA rule changes for this year, what do you all think? If you are unaware, the playing rules aren't major rule changes. They got rid of the requirement for batting helmets to have chin straps. They also now allow on-deck batters to use...
  9. Admin

Softball Rule's 101 - Questions & Answers

I'm starting this post after running into a softball Mom around 4:45 a.m. Friday morning. Jill has two daughters who both play on Fastpitch Travel Teams. You could tell she was very proud of her girls accomplishments in softball. As we talk she inform me that she was a big fan of the...
  10. Admin

Switch Hitting, switching batter boxes. What the Rules?

Can softball switch hitter, switch batters boxes after each pitch? What are the rules for switch hitting in girls Fastpitch softball? When I was still Coaching, we played in a softball tournament in Indianapolis, Indiana were the umpire wouldn't let me switch my girl batting back to the...