throwing

1. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fine tune her throwing form

In watching warm ups and in particular, throwing warm ups, the main problem I spotted in players trying to make the team was their throwing motion. Granted, some of the players had been taught the correct form for throwing the ball, but a lot had absolutely horrid form. Here are a few drills to...
  2. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Mechanics of proper throwing techniques, using certain isolation training

This throwing drill is used for warm ups and is done is a series. It allows the players to focus on the "mechanics" of proper throwing techniques, using certain isolation drills. 1.) Indian style: have the players start approx. 10-12 yards from their partners sitting indian style. By throwing...
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Improve throwing accuracy and footwork in the infeild

THROWING: HIT THE BUCKET GAME To improve throwing accuracy and footwork in the infeild, I like to divide my team in two groups. Half are positioned at short stop and the other half are positioned at second base. We mark off a starting point that the girls must stay behind until a ground ball is...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy.

Quick Play - Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing, Thrown ball and receiving Thrown ball.
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Relay throwing the ball

FIELDING: RELAY THROW DRILL Have the players line up in a line stretching to the outfield. Have the first player throw the ball to the glove side of the second player in the line. Do the same for the rest of the players. This teaches the proper location for the relay throw and also teaches...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders 75-100 ground balls within 20 minutes

FIELDING: GROUNDERS DRILL I coach fastpitch girls at Northwest High School and Northwest Senior League levels, in Southern Ohio. Our high school and Sr. League team works frantically with this favorite of mine. It allows for each fielder to see nearly 75-100 ground balls within 20 minutes...
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Teach agressive baserunning, hitting, and fielding

FIELDING: GLOVES OFF GAME We use this drill to teach agressive baserunning, hitting, and fielding. The drill uses a whiffle ball and a plastic bat. First set the bases at about 40 feet apart. Divide your team in two. One half fields and the other bats. Fielders do not use their gloves. We want...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding ground balls, throwing accuracy, and pivoting

FIELDING: FOUR CORNERS DRILL I call this drill the Four Corners. Players are located at 3B fielding position, 2B (on bag), 1B (on bag) and at catcher. All other players are lined up at 3B coaching box. Coach hits ground ball to 3B who throws to 2B who throws to 1B who throws to catcher. After...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Hitting, Fielding, Throwing, Base Running practice

FIELDING: BAT AROUND THE HORN GAME My name is Gary Shepherd. I'm a high school coach at Fox, Oklahoma. I call this drill BAT AROUND THE HORN. It works on every aspect of the game--Hitting, Fielding, Throwing, Base Running and requires two teams of 5 players. (It can be played with 6 players or...
  10. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding Drill game for Short Stop

FIELDING: BARNEY GAME I got this drill from our current Hitting Coach, Coach Burney. It is the most fun game we play and the players absolutely LOVE IT!!! You get a Barney (or any other stuffed animal, but Barney works the best because they hate him) and put him on a chair by 1st base. If you...
  11. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding and Throwing drill

Eight Ball Drill 1) Player stands shoulder width apart, puts throwing arm up at 90 degree angle, holds elbow with glove, throws ball to partner just using her wrist action. 2) Player sits with legs spread and has arm in same position only this time she can use from her elbow up and throws the...
  12. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Blocking, Framing, Throwing drills combo

Blocking Drills 1) Shadow Blocking (No ball)-- Coach stands behind the catcher. Catcher assumes their stance. The coach tells the catcher what pitch is thrown and where. The coach will give the catcher a few seconds to get ready. When the coach claps their hands, the catcher will assume the...
  13. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Throwing to 2nd Base

CATCHER: Throwing to Second Base Helps to improve a catchers throws to second base. Equipment: Balls and catchers gear if desired. Procedure: One catcher is behind the plate, one is on the mound, and one is at second base. The pitcher throws the ball to the catcher who steps and throws to...
  14. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Footwork getting in the throwing position

CATCHERS: Throwing Footwork Teaches the catcher to get to the proper throwing position quickly and with proper technique. Equipment: Catchers gear and ball. Catchers pair up. One throws and one catches. The catcher assumes her stance as if there is a runner on base. Feet spread , rear end...
  15. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catchers throwing to second an thrid base practice

CATCHING: Cone DRILL One of the best catchers drills I've ever used is to stick a safety cone on its side next to second base(1st base side) and throw balls into the cones from homeplate. Then move cones to 3rd base, doing the same. When I first used this drill I used bigger targets.
  16. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catching throwing thru a hoop at second bases

CATCHING: HOOP DRILL You will need a hula-hoop and some softball. Place the hula-hoop upright over second base (a coach will hold it) and instruct your catcher to make her throw from homeplate through the hoop. This develops accurate throws. The second part of the drill, you can put a...
  17. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catching thowing down to second base

CATCHING: SECOND BASE THROW DOWN DRILL Hi There!! I've been a catcher since eighth grade--that's 7 years--and I've caught for many pitchers and with many different teams. Here's a drill for strengthening and quickening throw downs to second base. The idea of a trash can is great--for more...
  18. I

Wrist Snaps or Flips for Pitching and Throwing Warm Ups

Happy Independence Day, folks! After watching years and years of fastpitch, one thing has always stuck out to me. The "Wrist Flip" during warm ups. Can someone explain the purpose of these to me? I ask because I have heard the reasoning that it helps with strengthen the wrist. Well, the...