14U Coach's Poll - Week of 6/16/08

1st place votes in ( )

Rank ? ? ?Team ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Pts.
1Slammers (8)89
2ICE (Richards)64
3Lasers - White54
4Valley Extreme (Kieser)50
5Lasers - Red47
6Tigerlillies (1)40
7Miami Valley Express 34
8Cincy Doom - 9332
9Stingrays (Seeds)20
9HOH Force20

Others receiving votes
Akron Sapphires (17), MOV - Flamin' Fury (12), Ohio Wave (Rosinski) ?(6), Buckeye Heat - 93 (3), Ohio Sharks (3), Buckeye Heat - 94 (2), Ohio Heat ?(2), Miami County Blaze - Gold (1), Valley Storm (1),

Ringer,

1st, thank you for taking the time to completely handle this post. ?

2nd, I am amazed at the results. ?I thought there would be a greater shift after this weekends tournament results. ?

its understandable why the slammers are no. 1., but......
how can the tigerlilles not be ahead of ice-ricards and others after winning compuware?
what did ice-richards do at compuware? what is ice record?
saw a few innings of tigerlillies games and they are solid

Well, I relate it to like when Stanford beat USC or Arkansas beating LSU or Michigan Illinois beating Ohio State. You have to prove yourself over time. The Tigerlillies debuted at #6. That is a pretty good jump. All they have to do is keep winning. Of course there are some that say some teams have to get out of their home area to continue to warrant respect. Anyway its just a poll, all you get is a little virtual OFC medal at the end of the season.

catsbats said:
its understandable why the slammers are no. 1., but......
how can the tigerlilles not be ahead of ice-ricards and others after winning compuware?
what did ice-richards do at compuware? what is ice record?
saw a few innings of tigerlillies games and they are solid
One bad tournament means nothing.This is obviously not typical Ice Richards play. Girls at this age are so unpredictable, and the way they play can be very frustrating.The Tigerlillies Hawkins team is very good, and the Ice Orange has beat them once,and lost to them once in itb. We played very well against them both games, but i dont think we are close to Clark's level, but maybe the Tigerlillies are on any given sunday, as they seem to be on a roll now. Congrats on Compuware.

I never had a chance to see the Tigerlillies play since they had all the 14U's play at the same time. Congratulations to them, holding a very sound hitting Compuware team to 1 run in the championship game to bring home the trophy is a great accomplishment! I don't claim to know which Ohio teams deserve to be ranked where but I do know the Tigerlillies came out on top last weekend. I saw a lot of very evenly matched teams throughout the tournament and it should be a great year of competitive play in your state! Once again, congrats Tigerlillies from the Indiana Thunder.

Evenly matched is right.

The Ice are not off to their best start - what's new? Gotta get them early. Did the same thing last year and were nearly unbeatable at the end of the year. They are loaded, just gotta get it rolling (they will). Slammers went 1-2 (against their own age even ?:eek:) at HOF in Okie City. Both Ice & Slammers deserve to be where they are, both are very strong teams. They will both do well in Nationals competition, they build (and schedule) for that purpose.

Tigerlillies are "sneaky good", three tournaments, three Finals, one win (in a BIG one though). Having play them, and watched them also, hard to explain why they consistently win (some teams are more obvious), they just win - sign of a good, and well coached "team".

Any of the top 10 can beat the others on any given day. For example, the Sapphires have beaten Tigerlillies, Ice-Richards, split 4 games with VE-Kiser, played to a tie and a one run loss in 2 games with HOH Force going back to Pickerington Final last fall, and have lost to other top 10-15 teams like Laser Red, VE-Pierce. The "transistive property" does not compute this year, because most of the top 10-15 are regularly playing each other and we are seeing varied results, not clear dominance, and no clear pecking order. It will all shake out over time, ... for the "mythical" OFC State Championship - lol.

I would still call the Slammers & Ice the 2 teams that I would least prefer to see on my side of the bracket on Sunday - would love to play them, but preferably in the championship game on Sunday, not on the way there. :p

Every other team in that top 10 are EXCELLENT teams, some more experienced than others, some with more depth at key positions, maybe. But all VERY nice teams that can beat any of the others, and have done just that. Boils down to the entire body of work, I guess, and the overall confidence that each team inspires among the voters? At the end of the year, there will probably be a clear top 2-3, but beyond that there will be 15 more teams with a reasonable argument why they should be in the top 10.

It's all kinda fun, and as TheRinger has pointed out, we are all paying a little more attention to all corners of the state with regards to Ohio Softball. Hopefully, some old rivalries will flourish, while new ones develop, and the overall interest will continue to grow as well.

I would imagine that the Tigerlillies (Hawkins) don't mind being underestimated. ;) They are very fundamentally solid at every facet of the game. Don't bother hitting a fly ball to their outfield. Best outfield I've seen this year. Lights out at center. They'll just quietly continue to win games. I look forward to playing them again soon!!

And this is why a lot of people didn't want the polls. Well, at least no on has pulled out the knives and guns....yet.

Don't worry Bill, this is just a time killer and salve for softball withdrawel for those 4-5 "off days" per week. None of it really matters ... something to talk about .... handled right it can be good, and promotional. I know, ... or not ... :-/

Ringer will vouch for me. The Tigerlillies are somwhat of a mystery team. I was not even sure they were an Ohio team. That much has been made apprarent recently and will influence me in the future.

A little more input on OFC by the TL would not them. Don't be shy.

Our organization has been around for 10-12 years. ?We're based out of Stow/Cuyahoga Falls area. ?Like all organization, we've had ups and downs. ?Probably best known for team that finished 18u about 3 years ago. ?That team won Compuware 3 times, had 5 top ten finishes in NSA World Series with one Championship and one Super World Series win. ?Most of those girls are in college now with 2 of them on current coaching staff. ?Same coaches that coached that team coach current 14u team (with additions).

We've had a good core group for a couple of years and made some significant additions to the team this year. ?We expect to do well every weekend but even we were a little suprised this last week.

After spending the weekend at Compuware; ?I would agree that ALL of these teams are VERY competitive, and on any given day appear to be able to knock each other off. I suppose that is why they play the games rather than compare rosters! There are some interesting and competitive weekends coming up where it will start to shake out OR confuse the situation even more. ? ?

I like this poll even though 14u Vipers have not yet been on it >:( I have played not all but some on the BIG TEN list. I will say that any givin sunday it is anybodys game. I would not put a real big thinking into the the list, it really only shows what team was on on that SUNDAY. Most of the Members of this fourm play for GOOD teams or thay would not be on here speaking ( I think). I think it is a good thing that people do not blow their own horn and show up to play and see the outcome of the Sunday. I will wish everyone a good season but just to remind them that ( ANY GIVIN SUNDAY) you never know ;)

Vipers we have not had a chance to see you guys play so far this year. Which teams in the top 10 list have you played and what was the outcome? No doubt it is a nice list of quality games.

What Vipers team are you with? I know there are a couple in Ohio. Central Ohio Lady Vipers, Miami Valley Vipers...there are probably even a couple more. I know I get some votes that just read, "Roadrunners" or "Diamond Chix" I have to do some investigating to make sure they mean Ohio teams.

vipers said:
I like this poll even though 14u Vipers have not yet been on it >:( I have played not all but some on the BIG TEN list. I will say that any givin sunday it is anybodys game. I would not put a real big thinking into the the list, it really only shows what team was on on that SUNDAY. Most of the Members of this fourm play for GOOD teams or thay would not be on here speaking ( I think). I think it is a good thing that people do not blow their own horn and show up to play and see the outcome of the Sunday. I will wish everyone a good season but just to remind them that ( ANY GIVIN SUNDAY) you never know ;)

I definitely agree with the any given Sunday comment .. however twice this year it has been "any given Monday" for us. :eek: I'm too old for "All Nighters" !! ... Congratulations to the Lady Lasers Red .. 14U ASA State Tournament Champs .. and Congratulations to the Miami Valley Xpress .. Runners up. The final game ended at 1:00 AM this morning .. I HATE RAIN!!

Any given sunday is true....Tri Cty Hurricanes Blue have quality wins against Valley Ex Kiser and HOO Force. Also lost Kiser once and laid an egg in championship to Buckeye Heat. Working to break into top 20 or should I say top 16.