4Lasers - Red49
5Stingrays (Seeds)36
6HOH Force35
7Miami Valley Express ? ? ?28
8Valley Extreme23
9MOV - Flamin' Fury16
10Cincy Doom - 9315

Others receiving votes
Akron Sapphires (9), Cincy Storm (6), Extreme Fastpitch (5), Ohio Wave (Rosinski) ?(4), Rocky River Breakers (2), Ohio Dragons (2), Buckeye Heat - 93 (2),

I have never seen OH Ice Richards play. They must have impressed the coaches to be at #2. I believe they haven't played any outdoor games this season. (I assume their poll spot is based on the Spanodome games in Feb. and/or on last years games). Per their web-site .. they are in Massillon this weekend playing 16U & at Compuware 14U the following week. I look forward to seeing them play outdoors. Good Luck ICE ..

^^^ the Ohio Ice Richards team is as good a team as you will see in Ohio at 14U!!!

Also I can see from looking at past polls this spring and looking at the current one, that the polls are going to reflect a "what have you done lately" flavor, much more then even the ESPN Coaches Poll for college football...lol. ;D

I agree with Bink44, the Ohio Ice 14U team is a solid team from top to bottom. Great coaching and very talented players. This team should be very dominant this summer and are fun to watch.

I've had the opportunity to see the following teams from the list so far this season: Slammers, Ice, Lasers White, Lasers Red, Stingrays (Seeds), HoH Force, Sapphires, Ohio Dragons, and Buckeye Heat 93. I think the Slammers and Ice are absolutely the two teams to beat!! The Lasers White have looked awesome at times, but a bit sloppy. When they put it all together they'll have the ability to beat anyone. The Lasers Red are a bit up and down, but when they're up...look out. The Stingrays Seeds can flat out hit the ball...wow! HoH Force have a phenominal pitcher and a solid sqad...they'll always be tough. The Sapphires were tough, but I only got to see them indoor...they looked tough but it was hard to get a real good idea of them. The Ohio Dragons are a team that if you think you've got a win...you'll be in BIG trouble. I watched them lose to the Lasers White this past weekend and they were up 4-0 going into the bottom of the sixth. The Lasers scored 5 in the bottom of the sixth, game over right? Wrong, they scored 2 in the top of the seventh to take the lead! The Lasers hit a 2 run homer in the bottom of the seventh, but what a good Dragons team. The Buckeye Heat 93 has the ability to play with the teams in the top 10...they've got a real good pitcher and the offense isn't bad either...they'll be tough this season. It looks like the polls are pretty good, but I think the teams from 3 to 10 will be have some great games. It will be interesting to see if any are up to the challenge of knocking of the top 2 teams...should be a fun summer!

Keep in mind some of the 14U still are still not playing with all the players yet. I talked to the Laser White coaches and he had two girls still playing high school. I think he said one was at third base. So next week some of these teams could change, when you add a player. I did watch a 12U team beat the Laser Red, not sure if the Red had all players present. Polls this time of the year for the 14U up, are to early to see all the players that a team may have. Early wins against some of these teams by younger teams , may not hold up latter in the season.

Personally, I think the poll is pretty well done. Mostly all the right teams in the top 10 week to week, and also the ones getting votes just outside the top 10 also. As mentioned 3-15 or so will probably jockey for position all year, and trade some spots based on having a few good weekends in a row and "impressing the voters". Also, a few of the "older" 14's will start pulling it together here soon also, and probably establish their squads with (or near) the top 2.

No question Ice-Richards & Slammers would be the the two marquee teams, though, until proven otherwise. They both have it all, and are very deep.

rcpae, great post. I am always a little leery of commenting on team specifics because of sensitivities, but your comments are good, IMO, based on what I "know" and what I have seen and learned so far this year.

A few additional notes:

The Sapphire team is young, but competitive, knocking on the door. Most of their losses have been great tense games, with chances to win, can't think of any team that just simply "rolled" them (except 18u Ice in CG of Spano HS league) - learn to win those tough grinding Sunday afternoon games, and FINISH!

Valley Extreme-Kiser: Very solid team, pitching, defense, hitting. When they have all eligible players, LOOK OUT. Problem is there are several players who play up once older teams get going. Tough to grade them at 14u because of that, but they are top 5 for sure with everyone available, and still very strong without those few.

Pittsburgh Power-Shepherd: Beat them in the fall, played them competitively in the past. Something has happened to them over the winter though ?:eek:. They are hitting the ball like nobody's business. The Slammers are one of the best "fundamentally" polished hitting teams I have seen, but the Power has uh, well, ... POWER! Everyone (1-9) hits shots and can rip to the fence, and strong deep pitching. I know this is an Ohio poll but since they visit our area, just thought I would share and give them some love and respect, besides they are fun folks. You have been forewarned, they are good and "would be" #3 in the 14u poll ?:p :)

my dd's team is playing up north, but i have to admit i've got hte urge to sneak off to massllon late friday night for the slammers-ice/richards game -- funny it's a 16u game -- what gives? aren't they both 14u teams?

Because they are such strong 14U teams they are probably choosing to play up at 16U in order to face some better competition. It isn't helpful to keep beating teams of their age group. The girls will develop by being challenged. It makes good sense to me!

catsbats said:
my dd's team is playing up north, but i have to admit i've got hte urge to sneak off to massllon late friday night for the slammers-ice/richards game -- funny it's a 16u game -- what gives? aren't they both 14u teams?

What time? I live 10 minutes from Genshaft, and can't attend dd's game in Courtland. We play at 5:30 and have a committment until 5:00. Would also love to see the Ice play the Slammers.

Pretty loose list at the bottom. ?I think we should limit to 10. ?Way to many teams could be in the second 10. ?
Example ...?Breakers, although good, havent played or beaten any one on the list. ?I have seen a couple of teams (not many ) beat some of those in the top ten and they are rarely mentioned.
i.e. Valley Sting beat Extreme Fastpitch. Hurricanes Blue beat Valley Sting . Hur Blue beat VAl EX Kiser. Kiser beats HurrBlue. Extreme FP beat Val Ex Kiser.......... who's on first???????????

Looking forward to seeing list progress.