2012 Olympics NO SOFTBALL

The International Olympic Committee dropped baseball and softball from the 2012 Olympics in London. ?This really stinks :'(

Until the rest of the world becomes more competitive I guess I don't really blame them. ?Who wants to see the USA shut everyone out, the games this past Olympics just weren't very fun to watch. ?I think we need to spend more time and effort trying to expand our professional womens fastpitch leagues here in the USA. ?

I agree with Lady_Knights, the racers are the best kept secret in Akron. If anyone read the Akron Beacon Journal yesterday, they don't even have enough money to advertise.
At the rate they are going they won't be here long without more support both from business and the fans.
This team is in first place matching up against the 2nd place team which just happens to have Jennie Finch as their pitcher, she is scheduled to pitch tonight against the racers.

Isn't trampoline an Olympic sport? This says a lot more about the world than it does the United States. They can keep the trampoline and whatever other non-sports are currently in the Olympics.

I guess now I'll just stick to watching my all time favorite sport Olympic Table Tennis (Ping-Pong). There really is some great competition there lol.

I haven't posted on here in a very long time but Lady Knights comments inspired me! While I understand the point Lady Knights made, I don't think the big picture is scene here.

As someone who frequently travels the world both pitching and coaching pitchers in many countries, I can tell you the rest of the world is getting better. Yes, the USA dominated the '04 Olympics, nobody can deny that. But, the USA Men's Basketball team also dominated the sport in 1992 but, the rest of the world simply got better. While it's true we didn't go into Athens with Shaq, Kobe, etc. the fact remains that most people felt we could've sent a weak NBA team and still would've mopped up. That's simply not the case. As they have in basketball, the rest of world is improving their softball programs. They hire coaches and players from here in the USA to develop their programs and the game was on the assent globally.

While it didn't show in '04, there's no denying how much better other countries have become. There are more schools going abroad to recruit players (Tanya Harding for example).

USA softball dominates for a couple reasons. #1. ASA/USA has the resources to make sure our team is the best equiped and is in constant training. Other countries simply don't have that kind of money. Australia and Japan are close.. and guess who came in 2nd and 3rd! #2. Our college program is a great feeder system for team USA.

I'm not so sure the Olympic offiicals are prepared for the amount of heat they are going to take for this. The last sport removed was 1936, long before email and the internet. Who knows, with enough pressure from the softball/baseball world... both will stay in. Great Britian has made great strides in their softball programs, I'm willing to bet they want it in.

Bill Hillhouse
www.houseofpitching.com

I agree that removing softball from the Olympics stink. Having it shown on TV brought alot of new interest to the sport. Everyone hears about, the Indians (male), the CAVS(male) and the Browns (also male) but what about the female sport that go on.
The Akron Racers have a wonderful organization, they get the kids involved during the games, as well as put on clinics, that if anyone partipated in them this year got to see Olympic champions.
I think a big round of applause needs to go to Joey who without her support, effort, time and her own money is keeping them going. More of us in the softball world need to put forth an effort to go out and support them, and let our daughters, granddaughters, and nieces see what comes of hardwork, dedication and support from a community can do.

Believe me I am not happy to hear that they have dropped softball from the Olympics. ?I coach HS, Travel and Rec. ball and live it 24/7 365 days a year. ?The people on the IOC are clueless as to the growth potential softball has. ?
Amerikiwi, I thought of those dominate BB teams when I made my original post but was short on time and couldn't go into any great detail, but you are right. ?Softball will never have the chance to grow world wide if it is not an Olympic sport. ?You are also correct that other teams will get better as the sport evolves throughout the world.
In closing I meant no direspect to the Olympic softball team or the players. ?I enjoy this sport and hate to see the IOC pull the plug so soon, just think of all the other great things we enjoy now, that would be gone if we only gave it one chance!!!! ?::)

This move by the IOC is more Anti-American than it is Anti-softball/baseball. The IOC (i.e. the rest of the world) hates to see American dominate anything.

I think it's horrible that softball is being dropped form the Olympics. It's bad for the sport - especially since it's increased in popularity over the past couple of years. The Olympic softball team is a great role model for girls - and it's a great goal for girls to shoot for. It's just too bad that softball is being dropped - and "sports" such as archery and ping pong may still be in.

My daughter and son were in tears when I told them that. I knew it was a goal for her but didn't realize that my little guy had the same dream. Unfortunately, if it's out for 2012, she doesn't have much hope. Maybe by the time he's old enough, things will have "evened" out and they'll bring the sports back. If not, guess we need to invest in a ping pong table!

i think thats terrible!! who decides whether it stays in or not? a committee of some sort?? i think that is terrible thing to do.

Code:

Go Ohio Ice White

8)

also good luck to Wolfpack, Thunderbolts, and Ohio Ice Blue

it's coming back in RIGHT?! IFFFFFF it even goes away?! That was my only goal for life, to make the Olympics! 2012 would be the most available for me, if i even made it. But seriously, just because we have more opprotunities and more experience and more money and better teams doesn't give anyone the right to take it out just because we're better. Just because they don't have money doesn't mean they don't have to practice at all! I have a string tied between my clothes lines with wiffle balls on them and i take at least a hundred swings a day on them. Practice just isn't a team thing, it's an indiviual thing too. If they don't want to get better, then we have a right to knock the cream cheese out of them! We gave up one run last year in the whole thing, just one... that says a lot about our team but a heck of a lot more about theirs.

I think this is just terrible news! Fastpitch softball continues to grow and grow as we speak! I really enjoyed watching the games I could stay awake for. I think it was very unfair that most of the televised games were on at 2,3, or 4 am. How do they expect the majority to see how great the sport is when it is televised when everyone is asleep?

I would much rather watch fastpitch softball than any of the above mentioned so-called sports. BOO! to the olympic committee!