Hitting and Hitters Discussion 2018 WCWS - Slap vs. Power

sammy

Reaction score
Especially during the final series between FSU/Washington, slappers seemed very ineffective. Possibly the rule enforcement of out-of-the-box prevented reaching the outside pitch? Warren was such a BEAST at the plate. After a jittery first inning, the FSU confidence machine kicked in at the plate, and the power hitting took over.

Not to say that Washington's hitting is inferior, but in these two games King was simply dominant in the circle and had total command of her arsenal. Slappers just could not get it going against her. Conversely, Washington's pitching duo lacked the control and finesse required at this level of play.

Bottom line... Is slapping still an effective tool at this level? Have power hitters finally come into their own to balance out previously dominating pitchers?

Final note: I thought it very odd that the announcers (and even the game follow up writers) questioned the decision to start King in the circle for FSU. WHAT?? There's NO DOUBT by me that she was the one I would want in the circle in this game!! NEVER, EVER look ahead to the next game BEFORE you have a complete grasp of what's already on your plate! Win each game ONE AT A TIME!

P.S. Simply awesome to see all the Ohio girls at this level!!

1stbasecoach

Reaction score
This is just my opinion and I am by no means an authority; it seems to me with slapping everything has to be just right and circumstances just right for a slapper to be effective. It also seems like circumstances like who is on what base and how many outs can really make a slapping less effective. It also seems that pitching can really dictate how effective a slapper can be to, especially when to pitch them inside or outside. I am not saying that good slapper can't overcome all these things and be extremely effective, just everything has to go right. I have never coached a good slapper so I could be completely wrong, but gimme a good hitter over a good slapper all day.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Power. The game has changed. Small ball and slap still has its place and time And can place the defense on it's heels but nothing can demoralize a team more than facing one thru nine that can go yard and having to hit with them to stay in the game.

Long Baller

Reaction score
I disagree. A good slapper that can also hit away when the situation warrants is the the most potent offensive threat in softball.

brownsfan

Reaction score
A slapper that's a true triple threat will wreck havoc on any defense; especially when she's great had it. Faced one girl this spring who had a heck of a time with the outside pitch from a slapper's point. In the second game, threw outside but she didn't slap, she stayed in power mode and hit a foul ball that has not landed yet. Next pitch she slapped. Went back outside and hit a bomb over my center fielder's head. We eventually found her weakness, but it took my pitcher every bit of concentration to make sure she hit that pitch.

So in my opinion, both have a important aspect of the game. It depends on the type of pitchers and defense the opposing team has.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
The good thing about fastpitch is a variety of ladies with various skills, body types can impact the game. The ones that have speed and slapping/hitting skills combined are rare but can make an offence click and set a tone so I would say it is an effective tool at all levels of play for some.