Bats taken out of play before games - by umpires (ASA)

Rocket8

Reaction score
At out tournament this weekend we had umpires remove four bats in the pregame inspection from the other teams dugout as they were rattling inside. Talked with the opposing coach and he hadn't had this happen to them before. So was curious if anyone else has seen this as an increasing trend? Ump mentioned pieces breaking off inside the bat.

Of course the discussion turned to rolling and shaving bats between the coaches. They took out two of the brand new orange Worth Bats, a Xeno and one other but cant remember. Umpire added they had two the prior game they also took out of play.

Rodney
Mason Thunder 00

wannaplaysb

Reaction score
My 16u team puts both helmets ans bats on the fence. Not had a single ump check one yet. My hs team the same...every game they were checked. I have a screwdriver in my bucket now to tighten masks just in case. But about to lighten my load. Why the difference in travel ball?

dannyboy

Reaction score
they checked our equipment multiple times at 14u ASA States. they were specifically looking for rattling with the bats.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
This has been for years, had one removed and given to umpire tent to pick up at end of day and told do not use it the next day or consequences would go into effect.....

fastpitch4life

Reaction score
Many bats as we all know can be defective when we purchase them just like any other product, but when you pick up the bat and it sounds like sand is running thru the barrel that is a very good indicator that a bat that has been shaved.

longball00

Reaction score
Many bats as we all know can be defective when we purchase them just like any other product, but when you pick up the bat and it sounds like sand is running thru the barrel that is a very good indicator that a bat that has been shaved.

Not being a jerk, but this is a myth. Bats break down inside on stock bats, and create the rattle or sand sound just with normal use. The slowpitch crowd called them "Rain Sticks". We have hit bats right out of the wrapper that had the sand sound after 30-40 swings, it just happens when bats start to break in and get hot. Bat doctors are too good to leave a trace of their work, and can usually only be detected by compression testing, or opening the bat up to have a look see.

mogsoftball

Reaction score
eastons are notorious for the sand rattle when they get hot. Nothing to do with being shaved

A rattle in a xeno or LXT can mean the disks that act to suppress the exit speed are failing. I believe the 2legit has a similar suppression to limit exit speed.

flygirlsdad

Reaction score
Only bats tossed on our 14u team were Xenos. One because of a rattle and the other because of cleat marks. Seems like they pay special attention to the Xenos. Both were at ASA tourneys. The one with cleat marks has been allowed since.

fastpitch4life

Reaction score
If it is just a myth, then why are these umpires taking these bats out of play without a "compression test" or a "look see". It seems to me that purchasing these bats that rattle after 30 or 40 swings and are being taken out of play can make for some very angry parents/players.

longball00

Reaction score
If it is just a myth, then why are these umpires taking these bats out of play without a "compression test" or a "look see". It seems to me that purchasing these bats that rattle after 30 or 40 swings and are being taken out of play can make for some very angry parents/players.

The myth is that they are shaved. A rattle in a bat and being tossed is nothing new, same with the wobble on a Stealth. It is known that when one of those 2 happen, the bat will most likely exceed the limits or be broken and then it's a safety issue. We took the wrapper off a Miken Chill, and a Worth 2Legit, and hit them in a cage. Both had a rattle after a bucket of front toss. If a newer bat gets tossed for a rattle, I'd be on the phone with the MFG getting a replacement without counting against the warranty!

Coach_Dave

Reaction score
We had a Xeno thrown out at Nationals last year, because of a rattle. This was a fairly new and not particularly hot Xeno. I don't believe a rattle has anything to do with a bat being hot. Generally speaking, rattles usually occur after the bat is older and broken in. Older more broken in bats are usually hotter. Both the rattle and the 'hotness' are the result of the bat being older.

fastpitch4life

Reaction score
My point is that it is not a myth, it may be coincidental that some of these bats you are describing make these sounds when purchased, or have been hit a little, but I have a friend who is a bat doctor and every bat he has ever shaved makes that sound. I guess the umpires are just going off their gut instinct that a player who is out there with a new $300 bat, shouldn't be making the sounds of one that has been altered.

fastpitch4life

Reaction score
My point is that it is not a myth, it may be coincidental that some of these bats you are describing make these sounds when purchased, or have been hit a little, but I have a friend who is a bat doctor and every bat he has ever shaved makes that sound. I guess the umpires are just going off their gut instinct that a player who is out there with a new $300 bat, shouldn't be making the sounds of one that has been altered.

Coach_Dave

Reaction score
It makes sense that altered bats would tend to develop a rattle, because the walls have been shaved and fibers will undoubtedly come loose to cause the rattle. However, unaltered bats can develop a rattle as well. It may be dried adhesive from the end cap, or simply fibers that have broken loose. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of rattling bats have not been altered.

fpitchdad

Reaction score
Any 10 year old that can hit a 200+ foot HR, bat should be removed. :)

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
This is straight from the rule book: A bat that rattles is an illegal bat. It's not a new rule. It's been that way since maybe 2008.

Westler33

Reaction score
even in the slowpitch game they are starting to remove bats from play that rattle and back in the day nobody wanted a bat unless it had some rattle to it because that let you know that it had a lot of swings on it and it was good and game ready. I do know that most bats that I have seen in the slowpitch game that have been altered (rolled/shaved) almost all have a rattle very early with minimal swings because the bat is breaking down faster. If the bat has a rattle the chances are that it will exceed the limits in a compression tester thus making it illegal for play even if it has not been altered.

Rocket8

Reaction score
How do the bat manufacturers respond to sending back a bat that just rattles and is not broken?

drwalker887

Reaction score
Rodney I believe before we played you they pulled a xeno for grip. It seemed to be the same umpire. Static purple 00

TnTs_Dad

Reaction score
I sent a 2012 Xeno back under warranty because of rattle and you could feel it was loose. They replaced with a 2013 (which now rattles as well).

Nothing new here, not sure what the fuss is about. Some umps barely look at the bats, others give every one a good hard look. Sometimes they focus on bats, other times helmets, other times catchers gear... Have had bats removed in travel and HS ball.