Catching and Catchers discussion Blocking Home Plate

Can anyone tell me what the rule is and where it can be located in the ASA softball rule book about blocking home plate without the ball/when ball is being thrown in to home plate. We have been told you can not block the plate without having the ball is this correct or not?
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well from what I know its a rule I'm not sure about ASA but in NSA when I started playing catcher I was warned ahead of time by an ump that you can't block the plate unless there is a play being made there.

Or rec league plays ASA, with paid ASA umps. ?And catchers are NOT allowed to block the plate without a play in the process of being made at home. ?They will also call your runner out if they fail to slide under the same conditions. ?BTW....I do not swear this is correct, these are the rules we have been made to follow.

the rule for ASA is under obstruction - 1st read the definition on page 57, then go to rule Rule 8 in the rule book

Please tell me....where do I get the "top secret" ASA rule book?

If you want to keep abreast of all the rule changes, go to the rules interpretation meeting at the OHSFCA meeting at the Easton Hilton in January of every year. This meeting is also held at different times and places during the winter. This rule was discussed extensively last Jan along with the "ball hitting the bat" rule.

Knowing these rules has help in winning some crucial games this year. Believe me, when you approach the blues knowing what you are talking about, it makes all the difference in the world.

two years ago the rule changed it use be that if the ball was between the runner and the bag you could block. The rule now is that you must have possession of the ball to block bag or plate. You can straddle the bag or plate you must just give the runner a path to the plate or bag. Once the defensive player has possession of the ball they can block all they want. Unless it is a little league I would never call a runner out for not sliding. There is no rule that says you must slide. The only thing close is when you slide, you must do it safely.

Well why have such a rule that you must "slide safely" and not have a rule that you have to slide?? That really does not make much sense as I know from experience, it is a lot more dangerous by NOT sliding.

My daughter is a catcher and in a Varisty State Tourney game was taken out by a runner who did not slide and was hurt pretty bad for a couple of weeks. You might as well let them slide how they want to as danger is danger.

As far as sliding, the rules do not state that you must slide, however the ASA rules do say that the runner can not "crash" into the defensive player standing up.

Blocking the plate/bag without the ball is not allowed either. Both of these rules are for the safety of the players. There have been way too many injuries in the past relating to blocking/sliding at the plate/bag.

If you say that they must slide and someone gets hurts because they slide then there is a liability issue there. ?When saying must slide safely it is saying do not slide in a way that is illegal or dangerous if you do slide. When the rule says the runner must avoid the collision that is telling them that they are responsible for doing what ever it takes to not crash into the defensive player with or without the ball. If the defensive player does not have the ball and is blocking the base or path it is still the responsibility of the runner to avoid the collision and if in the judgement of the umpire it causes obstruction it will be delayed dead ball and the awards if necessary will be given after the play is over. But if the runner runs into someone it supersedes the obstruction.

Softballump,

"You can straddle the bag or plate you must just give the runner a path to the plate or bag."

You made this same point in a thread a few weeks ago. I still say that you have this part of the obstruction rule wrong.

Can you please quote a rule of interpretation that backs up your statement that, "You can straddle the bag or plate" and be exempt from an obstruction call?

Remember, the runner has a perfect right to cross the bag or plate standing. If the fielder is "straddling the base" without the ball and the runner is forced to slide to avoid a collision, then the runner's path has been altered by a fielder not in posession of the ball.

That is a perfect rule book definition of obstruction!

You give a lot of other good information in your posts, but I can't agree with the blanket statement that a fielder straddling a base is not obstruction.

If that fielder doesn't have the ball and causes the runner to deviate from her chosen path, obstruction is a likely call.

In OUR league, it might be rec but it is still ASA, if a play is being made at home and the runner does not slide, they are called out! It is an obstruction rule is what we are being told. I don't claim to be a pro, just repeating what ASA umps tell me.

S ump

Bret is right- can't be there without the ball

Robey ?sounds like a modified rule to me. ?Many leagues use ASA as a baseline and add rules they feel are necessary for the competition level. Many years ago in our hometown "the league" made it illegal for "girls" to slide but my son the same age was allowed to slide! ???

we've come a looong way baby! ;D

bret I got this interpretation for the central ohio uic. ?Straddling the plate will not incur obstruction because there is no where else to go. ?

The problem I have with that interpretation is that "emminent play" would equate to the old rule of several years ago that allowed the defense to block a base if they were "about to receive" a throw.

Under the newer, current rule, the fact that a play is being made should have no relevence on the obstruction call.

Obstruction now requires two separate and distinct elements. One, a defender blocking the runners path without the ball and, two, the runner altering her path as a result of that blocking.

Either you have both of those elements on the play and you have obstruction, or you have one or neither and no obstruction.

"Emminent play" is a non-factor when making this call (unless you are calling an NCAA game, where the "about to receive" clause is still on the books).

Carolyn (RobeyWarren):

Do you have access to a copy of any special rules that your league has adopted? They may have possibly added a "must slide" rule for the league.

Strictly "by-the-book" ASA rules do not require a runner to slide. She can slide OR avoid the fielder. Veering off, slowing down or stopping would be examples of safe- and legal- ways for a runner to avoid contact with a fielder.

"Must slide" rules are misguided attempts to protect fielders that increase the likelihood of injury to a runner. The basic rules already offer the runner several safe ways to avoid contact without forcing her to perform a dangerous manuveur tha she may or may not be comfortable with.

Bretman,
?What about runner on first going
to second and the second baseman stands covering the base with his foot
NOT STRADDLING! literally foot and body infront of the bag while the ball is in the air and overthrown? ?I thought the runner had just as much right to the bag as the baseman if the baseman did not have the ball? ?What would the call be?
I sent you an IM with a more details about this situation. ?

They did not give us rule books they told us ASA umps would be doing our games and following ASA rules with no modification. ?But the rules change with the ump or the diamonds is our joke. ?That is why I come on here to get clarification. I dont like teaching the girls the WRONG way.

Most catchers do not straddle the plate when a ball is being thrown in for the play. There feet are directly in front of the plate and therefore there is no path for the runner, unless you take the catcher/pitcher off her feet when you are sliding(which we don't want to do, because you don't want to get players hurt). That is why I ask the questions. Most umps we have had argue that there is no rule about blocking the plate, as long as a play is being made. Which from the sounds of it is completely wrong.
Thanks for everyones help

yes Budracing that is correct if the defense person is blocking the plate with foot, without the ball definately obstruction. ?The rule changed two years ago, must have possession of the before blocking.