Brewing anyone?

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how early Oktoberfest and fall beers hit the market place this summer? Its almost impossible to find a summer beer now. I just kegged 5 gallons of Weizenbeer and was thinking of doing one more run of Heffe before fall to just make sure I had some warm weather drink before it cooled down. Anyone else brewed anything good lately?

Tim

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
The blonde ale turned out nice. Thinking about going full all grain now, looking for a cheap 7c f chest freezer to make a keezer.
got to put the mash tun together too. One of my best friends is now the head brewmaster at the brew brothers opening this fall at Scioto downs.. looking forward to that.
also this king of making a holy city pluff mud porter clone soon. Really good porter. Tried a new pumpkin ale the new one out from traveler.
best pumpkin ale I've ever had. Still have a couple of cigar city browns in the fridge.
should be a decent winter!

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Just took a cheat drink of the Weizenbeir. Won't be fully carbed and ready to drink till wed. but was pretty darn good green as it was. This won't last long.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
sounds good,love a great weizenbeir. let me know how he heffe turns out too.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Dude to have a best friend that is a brew master could be so dangerous to a marriage. I'm pretty sure if I bring home one more piece of brew equipment my new mailing address will have dog house some where in it. Am turning on the gas wed for the Heffe. Figured I need to give the keg of Weizenbeir at least 2 weeks before I keg another. Will have to try that pumpkin ale (just for scientific reasons ) you understand.

I wish everyone good ball and good beer

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
I was ready to give up on pumpkins ales.till this one, worth the wait!.
I'll probably end up spending a lot of time at the horse track now lol!. He made killer beers in the homebrew setup,
Can't wait to see how he does.on a large.scale. I'll let.you know when it's ready for operation.

Mr. Soft Balls

Reaction score
Just dry hopped my double IPA with Citra and Cascade, another 2 weeks should be ready to keg. Currently have a centinneal Pale Ale and a Kolsch kegged(5 liter). With the cold winter months fast approaching, I will start all grain batches of coffee, chocolate, and Russian Imperial Stouts along with Barleywines! Cheers to Beers!

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Awesome talking beer is almost as good as softball love the resposes

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
Beer talk is always good talk. Trying to figure out how to fit a 2nd keg into a mini fridge.
went to rotate the thermostat housing (which would give me the little bit of room I need)
and found out the unit is part and parcel with the dad gummed housing. Looks like I'm back
to bottling so I'll have room for another keg for carbonation. Wish I would've bout a small chest
freezer to begin with. Oh well I'll have some variety this way and be able to make a nice porter for winter.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
My winter project is converting a single tap to a double. Will start on that next week. Have been threatening to do it forever but broke the ice today and bought a 10 pounder for carbination so that's a start.
We have a brewery about 3 miles from me here in yellow springs. He is really starting to grow and keeps a pretty good selection on tap.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
We're up to 2 really nice micros.here in delaware, staas and restoration. Both very good.
the old.english ale at restoration is a great brew. May buy the pieces parts this week to make my mash tun.
just wish someone could tell me how.to move.that thermostat.....

Last edited:

Lenski65

Reaction score
We're up to 2 really nice micros.here in delaware, staas and restoration. Both very good.
the old.english ale at restoration is a great brew. May buy the pieces parts this week to make my mash tun.
just wish someone could tell me how.to move.that thermostat.....

What are you making the mash tun out of? I have a 10 gallon round gott cooler, stainless steel false bottom, and copper tubing to a stainless steel ball valve. My thermometer was a basic round faced thermometer that I punched through a margarine lid and it floated on top of the mash.

Last edited:

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
using a coleman cube cooler believe it's a 60 quart cooler, (stole the softball tourney cooler since the season is over, now i have to get the wife and DD a new cooler lol) so plenty large enough, running the innards out of cpvc with a brass ball valve. i like the margarine lid idea, will use that for sure.
most of my homebrew pals don't false bottom, and haven't complained of a stuck sparge yet. i'll see how it goes and then decide. i'll have to make it myself if i go that route because of the cooler shape.
the 50' stainlees wort chiller i got last christmas works like a charm when i put it inline with my old 25' copper chiller in a 5 gal bucket of ice water. from 212 to 76 in about 9 minutes in the summer!
cleareast ale i've ever done, not a hint of cloudiness.

Lenski65

Reaction score
If you're using that kind of cooler don't bother making a false bottom. Google "square cooler mash tun" and click on images. I would suggest using braided stainless steel supply lines and hose clamps. Cheap, fast, and easy. If you get cpvc or copper/stainless steel tubing you have a lot of work ahead of you either drilling holes or cutting slats into the tubing. The braided stainless steel is alread perforated, it's easy to clean, and it doesn't stain like cpvc will.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
i've looked at the ss braided, some of the guys here have used it, others gone with the cpvc. i've got a whole day tomorrow with the wife and DD shopping, and a scroll saw so it'll give me something to do.
plus i'll save a bit o'green while they're shopping....lol. priced everything out with this method and i'm under $10 for parts. then i can make my porter and keg it and have my 2 kegs in the mini fridge.
should get me through the winter...lol

Lenski65

Reaction score
i've looked at the ss braided, some of the guys here have used it, others gone with the cpvc. i've got a whole day tomorrow with the wife and DD shopping, and a scroll saw so it'll give me something to do.
plus i'll save a bit o'green while they're shopping....lol. priced everything out with this method and i'm under $10 for parts. then i can make my porter and keg it and have my 2 kegs in the mini fridge.
should get me through the winter...lol

Let us know how it goes!

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
Went pretty well, got all of the bulkhead leaks figured out and fixed, manifold cut, drains fantastically,
ready to brew in it in a couple of weeks. Now I have to get a new cooler for softball tho.......lol
Cannot figure out how to post a picture from my phone tho