Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher Help

My DD is a catcher(12U) and I would like to know if anyone knows of some drills or exercise to help her with having a stronger throw! She get about one out at 2nd a game but only if the girl get a late start or if the girl isn't that fast. ?Thanks ?:cool:

bohica said:
My DD is a catcher(12U) and I would like to know if anyone knows of some drills or exercise to help her with having a stronger throw! She get about one out at 2nd a game but only if the girl get a late start or if the girl isn't that fast. Thanks :cool:

Bohica,

While a getting a stronger arm is important and doing a regular regiment of Long Toss drills can help, I always direct coaches and parents to look at the actual throwing mechanics.

The time that elapses from when the ball hits the catchers glove till it leaves her finger tips is called the release time. Every 1/10 of a second that you reduce the release time is the equivalent of close to a 5 MPH velocity gain.

Just shaving 2/10 of a second yields an equivalent of close to a 10MPH gain.

I see catchers from all over the country and I see more issues related to mechanics hindering throwing performance then actual velocity.

When your daughter throws does she release the ball behind home plate or in front of home plate.?

Let me know that answer first,

The link below will take you to a clip of a 12U catcher using the mechanics I teach to get the ball in the air as fast as possible. She is starting the drill with the ball already in her glove to just work on the throwing mechanics.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=Throw-2nd-Front.flv

Coach Weaver
New England Catching Camp

Shoulder exercises with a kettlebell. ?Overhand throwing motions should help strengthen the throwing arm. ?

Bohica,
When conditioning a players body to catch, it is important to stress the legs. Her legs need to be strengthened, not necessarily with weights (at least until she is a little more developed than 12) but through the proper mechanics. The legs are an important part of the throw and I see way too many catchers (at least around these parts) standing tall to make their throws. A catcher with good form (i.e., stays low, uses legs, & quick feet/hands) will not need a beastly strong arm to keep runners in check. Something I find useful is to have the catchers practice their stance & movement to throwing position during commercial breaks. When they first start their legs are exhausted. Commercials are long enough that they can get some reps in without tiring to the point of bad form. When they get more confidence in the motion, I pair them up with their catching teammates, spread them out, & toss them an underhand pitch. They receive & make the throw to the other catcher. Then switch. When they get a little more advanced, add a timer and eventually runners.

I would find someone to work with her one on one that knows what they are doing - work on her throwing form - she need to get her hips into the throw, not just arms. I wouldn't start her on any weights or kettle bells unless you have someone that absolutely knows what they are doing working with her.

catchingcoach said:
[quote author=bohica link=1214853061/0#0 date=1214853060]My DD is a catcher(12U) and I would like to know if anyone knows of some drills or exercise to help her with having a stronger throw! She get about one out at 2nd a game but only if the girl get a late start or if the girl isn't that fast. ?Thanks ?:cool:

Bohica,

While a getting a stronger arm is important and doing a regular regiment of Long Toss drills can help, I always direct coaches and parents to look at the actual throwing mechanics.

The time that elapses from when the ball hits the catchers glove till it leaves her finger tips is called the release time. Every 1/10 of a second that you reduce the release time is the equivalent of close to a 5 MPH velocity gain.

I see catchers from all over the country and I see more issues related to mechanics hindering throwing performance then actual velocity.

When your daughter throws does she release the ball behind home plate or in front of home plate.?

The link below will take you to a clip of a 12U catcher using the mechanics I teach to get the ball in the air as fast as possible. She is starting the drill with the ball already in her glove to just work on the throwing mechanics.

Coach Weaver
[/quote]

Thanks Coach for your response, My DD throws from behind the plate. ?I reviewed your video several times. I have never watched her from that view but I know she is lower in the squat and her release doesn't look as high as the girl in the video but she isn't as tall either. ?We try to have her release just above her head but I think that has her with her weight more in front of her instead of behind her. ?We do tell her to use her legs and hips but I think she want to get the ball out quick and just uses her arm.

Thanks to all others that have responded as well. ::)

This brings up another question I have about catchers. ?I have heard conflicting reports from what I believe to be pretty good sources on "standing tall" when you throw to promote a downward throw versus "staying low" on throws to second. ?I have seen both stated on OFC as well.

Thoughts?

Sorry, I think I just hijacked this thread!?

bohica said:
[quote author=catchingcoach link=1214853061/0#2 date=1214868074][quote author=bohica link=1214853061/0#0 date=1214853060]My DD is a catcher(12U) and I would like to know if anyone knows of some drills or exercise to help her with having a stronger throw! She get about one out at 2nd a game but only if the girl get a late start or if the girl isn't that fast. ?Thanks ?:cool:

Bohica,

Coach Weaver
[/quote]

Thanks Coach for your response, My DD throws from behind the plate. ?I reviewed your video several times. I have never watched her from that view but I know she is lower in the squat and her release doesn't look as high as the girl in the video but she isn't as tall either. ?We try to have her release just above her head but I think that has her with her weight more in front of her instead of behind her. ?We do tell her to use her legs and hips but I think she want to get the ball out quick and just uses her arm.

Thanks to all others that have responded as well. ::)[/quote]

One of the issues I am working with this young lady is to get her to get her weight more evenly balanced between her two sides. She tends to get her weight back too much and that keeps her release a little higher then we want. She is so quick to release and her feet are so efficient, (which is what I really wanted you to see) she is extremely difficult to run on at the 12U level.

If your DD is lower in her crouch that can be a place where she is loosing time. I want the catchers set up so the top of their thighs are parallel to the ground when runners are on base. If they are in a deeper crouch this can cause a delay in the throw as they "stand up".

Also, where is her throwing hand when she is in her runners on stance. If she keeps it behind her back then that is another area where time is lost. As you can see from my clip that with the hand behind the glove all that is needed is to turn the glove towards you and imediately remove the ball from the glove.

This allows a more direct path up and to the back for the throwing arm/hand. When the throwing hand starts out behind the catcher we tend to see the hand swing upwards toward the glove and then back on a downwards path as the catcher gets her arm back to throw. Morelike an outfielder would exchange the ball.

I noticed no "knee savers." ?My daughter was advised at an Ohio State camp not to use them and has not since. ?(It goes against the advice of our physical therapist friend, who is not treating her) What are your thoughts?

catchingcoach said:
[quote author=bohica link=1214853061/0#6 date=1214917065][quote author=catchingcoach link=1214853061/0#2 date=1214868074][quote author=bohica link=1214853061/0#0 date=1214853060]My DD is a catcher(12U) and I would like to know if anyone knows of some drills or exercise to help her with having a stronger throw! She get about one out at 2nd a game but only if the girl get a late start or if the girl isn't that fast. ?Thanks ?:cool:

Bohica,

Coach Weaver
[/quote]

Thanks to all others that have responded as well. ::)[/quote]

One of the issues I am working with this young lady is to get her to get her weight more evenly balanced between her two sides. She tends to get her weight back too much and that keeps her release a little higher then we want. She is so quick to release and her feet are so efficient, (which is what I really wanted you to see) she is extremely difficult to run on at the 12U level.

If your DD is lower in her crouch that can be a place where she is loosing time. I want the catchers set up so the top of their thighs are parallel to the ground when runners are on base. If they are in a deeper crouch this can cause a delay in the throw as they "stand up".

Also, where is her throwing hand when she is in her runners on stance. If she keeps it behind her back then that is another area where time is lost. As you can see from my clip that with the hand behind the glove all that is needed is to turn the glove towards you and imediately remove the ball from the glove.

This allows a more direct path up and to the back for the throwing arm/hand. When the throwing hand starts out behind the catcher we tend to see the hand swing upwards toward the glove and then back on a downwards path as the catcher gets her arm back to throw. Morelike an outfielder would exchange the ball.

[/quote]
I went back and looked at the clip several more times and I see what you mean about her feet. Is the what they call a " jab step"? This might be a dumb question but by having her up so high, does that effect the glove position?

I went back and looked at the clip several more times and I see what you mean about her feet. Is the what they call a " jab step"? This might be a dumb question but by having her up so high, does that effect the glove position?

Bohica,

1. This is not a jab step. Her right foot goes almost straight across to a spot half way between where her 2 feet are initially set. A "jab step" would be step forward towards 2nd base. I do not like jab steps because they delay how soon I can begin to close the front side.

2. Not sure about the "glove position" question. I will take a stab at what you mean...Some coaches do not like catchers to set up higher with runners on because it makes the catcher set the target too high. If that is what you mean take a look at the clip and you will see the glove is sitting right above her own knees which would be just above the batters knees.....a good place for the target.

If I have comlpetely missed the intent of your "glove position" comment please clarify

Coach W

immamom said:
I noticed no "knee savers." ?My daughter was advised at an Ohio State camp not to use them and has not since. ?(It goes against the advice of our physical therapist friend, who is not treating her) What are your thoughts?

If catchers use a correct stance the only time they would even "use them" would be in their sign giving stance. They were invented after years of study on coal miners, then on a lark were tried by an aging MLB catcher back in the early 90's with lots of knee problems and they did help him. There has never been any studies as to their effectiveness on preventing any knees problems in adolecences with good knees.

If the are to be worn, they must be worn on the lowest clips of the leg guards, down near the ankles.

Thanks Coach, you anwsered the glove position question. Please explain the difference in what your girls is doing with her feet and a jab step.

bohica said:
Thanks Coach, you anwsered the glove position question. ?Please explain the difference in what your girls is doing with her feet and a jab step.

What my player has been taught is when the right foot moves it should move directly accross towards the left foot, stopping half way there. When her right foot hits the ground it should be positioned so her instep is pointing at her target which in this case is 2nd base. The right foot should gain no ground towards 2nd at all. This keeps the right from getting ahead of the left hip.

In a jab step she would take a step forward with the right foot towards 2nd. Her right foot may end up 8-12 inches or more ahead of her right foot. Some coaches like this since they feel it helps the catcher gain momentum to the target base.

I dislike it since it actually delays the release of the throw by putting the right hip way ahead of the left hip. When the left foot begins to drive forward to close off the front side the left hip is starting out behind the right hip. Some fractions of a second are wasted waiting for the left hip to catch up with the right before the left side can ever drive towards the target and close the front side. It is not momentum to 2nd we need, we need to be able to quickly get the feet set so we can close the front side and get the ball in the air.

As I said in the original post, every 1/10th you reduce the release time is the equivilant to a 5MPH velocity gain.

So just get the ball in the air!!!!

On the topic of catching, how do you feel about a catcher throwing from her knees?

If she is strong enough physically, it is quicker to throw from the knees. My dd can do it, but only uses it in certain circumstances.

Catchingcoach makes a great point. When runners are on base, the catcher's thighs should be parallel to the ground, and the throwing hand should be in a fist behind the glove. Also, the catcher's feet should be slightly wider than the shoulders. Many coaches think it is dangerous not to have the throwing hand behind the back, but if done properly, keeping the throwing hand in a fist behind the mitt makes the hand totally shielded and protected.

After watching the video of the 12u catcher a few things caught my eye. Her setup is a little higher then what I teach. I prefer the catcher's chest to be more foreward. I have my dd set up like I did when I played so her armpits are directly above her knees. This creates a more compact stance and it makes it easier for the catcher to set the glove slightly below the batter's knees. Doing this also makes sure the catcher does not have any weight on her heels; the heels are slightly off the ground. Setting up like this also aids the catcher in getting or blocking an errant pitch. The way the young lady's front foot lands is perfect in my opinion. You do not want the catcher (or any player for that matter) to point their foot straight at the intended target, rather you want them to point their foot around 1 o'clock for a right hander, 11 o'clock for a lefty. Of course you want them to "step' towards the intended target.

The young lady in the video moves her plant foot behind her lead foot, plants, than strides to make her throw. I know this as the "L" step method. I teach the shoot/pivot method. Once the ball is caught, I teach the catcher to "shoot" both the mitt and the throwing hand up and behind the ear, while transferring the ball from the mitt to the hand. This action causes the catcher to pivot on their plant foot and also swings their lead hip and leg into proper throwing position. During the pivot process the catcher is also coming up out of the crouch. Once the pivot has occured, the catcher should have the elbow of the mitt hand pointed toward the target, then stride and throw. The throw comes from slightly above and behind the ear.

I'm not saying Catchingcoach's method is incorrect, I'm just offering a different method. I was taught several methods of hand and foot work in clinics both in my youth and as a coach. The shoot/pivot method was the most successful method for me.

As far as throwing from the knees, I'd be afraid of eventually having shoulder or elbow problems after a while. I tried it more than a few times and I just did not like the way it felt in my shoulder joint. But hey.....it worked for Benito Santiago!

Len

My daughter is a 14u catcher. ?Not knowing any other information it is hard to give advice as all others are doing. ?
Knee savers:
I would have your daughter use. ?I know to many older catchers who complain about their knees that did not use them. ?If their is a play to be made at 2nd base she should be up anyway. ?She should not be sitting down "IMHO".
Does she call the game or is the coach calling the game.
This makes a difference in pitches thrown and placement which helps the catcher get the runner at 2nd. ?
It's nice to have a rocket arm but not all do.
My daughter does not have a rocket for an arm but it is still strong enough to do the job. ?Preprartion prior to ( Up vs. sitting), pitch placement and accuracy of throw also goes along way to getting the runner. ?
Accuracey of throw:
This is by far one of the most important aspects to me "IMHO". ?Much time is lost when a throw is high or wide left and or right. ?The catcher needs to put the ball down low - slightly right of the base to allow the SS or 2B to catch the ball and allow the runner to slide into the tag. ?Most 12U catchers and even 14U catchers are still honing their skills at this age. ?The throw does not have to be done in the air. ?A catcher can throw short and skip it in. ?Not the best but it works.
Waiting:
Is she having to wait for the SS or 2B to be there ..... Chemistry is very important between SS, 2B and Catcher. She needs to know that if she throws to the spot they will be there. She has to be confident that if they don't get there and the ball goes to the outfield that she did the right thing and not be worried to try and make that throw again.

Again I only express an opinion with out any upfront info: ?
If she gets the first runner most coaches think twice about sending. ?Especially if its an impressive throw out.
It obviuosly can't hurt to work with a coach who was a former fastpitch catcher. ?But my guess will be your daughter will find her own style and make it happen.

I think the catcher is the most under rated player on any team especially if she is calling the game not the coach. ?"IMHO" ?
I know this will cause allot of chatter. ?Not trying to cause an argument just a very proud catchers dad who watches his daughter plays hard, sweats hard and not once complain other then when the day is over and she has to wait till Sunday to start again..
Pitchers be good to your catchers they are the the other half of the game winning combination....... ? ?

A 12u player is too young to lift weights. The best way to strengthen the arm is to throw, throw, throw. Start out facing each other about 15 feet away, have her point her elbow at you, and make sure the tricep is parallel to the ground. With the ball in her throwing hand, have her fold her arm back so the ball is next to her ear (remember, her tricep should be paralell to the ground and her elbow pointing at you), her feet should remain stationary, and have her throw the ball to you just using her elbow and wrist. Do this about 50 times. It is very important that her tricep remains level to the ground throughout the entire throwing motion. If she cannot get the ball to you, move closer.

Next, stand about 40 feet away from each other. In a nice and easy motion, have her point the elbow of her glove hand at you and have her do a full motion throw, like an outfielders throw. Make her really stretch her arm out. After about 15 to 20 of these, start moving back one step at a time. Keep going back until you reach her limit. Total throws like this should be around a count of 50 to 70. She should not be throwing as hard as she can during this stretching of the arm process. If she needs to get a little air under the ball during the process, let her throw rainbows to you.

Finally, have her simulate being behind the plate. You should be about 85 feet away from her. With the ball in her mitt, have her simulate the catchers mechanics required to throw a runner out at 2nd base. Do this until she is totally gassed out. If any part of her arm or shoulder hurts at any time during this process, stop immediately and ice the hurting area.

Ahhh.....knee savers. I never used them and I caught my fair share of games. I don't think they even existed when I started catching. If a catcher sets up properly then they are not necessary. If the catcher has knee problems then they should not be catching anyway. The only good thing left on my 40+ year old body are my knees. ;D I think they do nothing but promote laziness, and that's the last thing a catcher needs to be. What a marketing scheme, paying $20 - $40 for $0.50 worth of foam wedges. I've been watching Sports Center during this post and I have not seen but one MLB catcher using them, and even he was not utilizing them in his setup (with nobody on base). They figured out it was nothing more than a scam and they do absolutely nothing for you.

Len