Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher's Gear Recommendations?

17smom

Reaction score
After 2 years of hard use, it is almost time to buy my daughter some new catching gear - much to her delight! :D

Any recommendations? She plays high level 16u, so good protection with durability is a must. Lightweight is a bonus. She currently has the Diamond iX3 series, which has been awesome. It's provided great protection, comfort, and durability. Her chest pad is still in great shape so I might just get new shin guards and a helmet.

I may stick with the Diamond, but I'm also curious as to what else is out there and what others like. We've had two sets of the Samurai gear in the past - the first (when she was young) was great, the second had major durability issues. Generally I like looking at the female specific gear for the chest protectors, but for the shin guards and helmet this isn't necessarily a requirement.

I've heard the Schutt shin guards are good. Anyone have the newer women's Easton Mako set? Definitely would like something that has good padding in the knee area, but still able to move around. Thanks for any tips!

Converse Kid

Reaction score
My catcher DD wears the new line of Mako. She states it has the best form fitting padding and is lightweight compared to her old Mizuno gear. She especially likes the leggings, they are designed for an enhanced rocking motion when throwing from the knees.

Last edited:

17smom

Reaction score
My catcher DD wears the new line of Mako. She states it has the best form fitting padding and is lightweight compared to her old Mizuno gear. She especially likes the leggings, they are designed for an enhanced rocking motion when throwing from the knees.

Thanks Converse Kid! I'm glad to hear from someone actually using the Mako line, as I'm very interested in it. I did see that the Mako line was designed for knee throwing with the padding, which is cool. My only concern with that is - does it interfere, give a feeling of bunching up, or hinder throwing from upright or running/moving in the gear? Also, does it still give full coverage to the knee cap when going straight down blocking? I was worried the padding would be shifted to far to the inside to give good coverage for the other chores of catching

10smom

Reaction score
Is Amber staying with her same team for the 2016 season