Catching and Catchers discussion Catchers Hand placement with runners on base

I always thought behind glove was best, but somebody told me this weekend it easier to block with hand behind leg. Not sure why but he seemed to think it gave you more and quicker mobility ??????????????????????????

I prefer behind the glove, it makes it quicker to access the ball. Behind the leg is OK but it does not increase mobility.

I prefer the hand behind the leg as the glove is to be brought to the shoulder to met the hand at the shoulder and the ball thrown from the ear and it stops the "winding up" that some catcher do.

As long as its not in the nose, because thats not a good thing! Ha Ha!

Make a fist and put it behind your back. Safe from any foul balls or pitches in the dirt. Catchers should be quick with hands and have a good arm.

I prefer behind the glove, it makes it quicker to access the ball. Behind the leg is OK but it does not increase mobility.

I totally agree. Wrap fingers loosely over thumb creating a loose fist and position behind glove.

Len

DD at a clinic with Jenny Topping for the USA Team 2 years ago. Told her to have her throwing hand behind her leg. DD likes to put a finger into her shin guards behind her leg. Just kind of slides the tip into the bottom strap. Seems to work for her.

keep your hand where you can throw runner out slow girl put it under your shoe just get her out lol no i really prefer behind glove in my opinion is faster but if girl insist on something else as long as results are there will be ok

Do you teach a fielder to field the ball with the hand behind the glove, or do you teach an outfielder to catch the ball with the hand behind the glove........so why would you teach a catcher to do it

Risk of injury to the hand I"ve been told is the reason your taught NOT to put hand behind the glove, have been to many clinics and instructors and most teach behind the ankle. Never seen an instructor teach behind the glove however I've seen some very good catchers use that technique.

Do you teach a fielder to field the ball with the hand behind the glove, or do you teach an outfielder to catch the ball with the hand behind the glove........so why would you teach a catcher to do it

Do you teach an infielder or outfielder to field the ball with their free hand behind their back or behind their leg?

Len

Put the hand behind the right leg....NEVER behind the back... Geez... watch a professional game and watch where they put their free hand....... You bring the glove to the hand .. to which the hand is positioned at the ear when you begin to come up out of your crouch... and you throw from the ear.

Don't seem to matter if the hands behind the back or the knee with a runner on base because the hand starts moving before the ball even gets to home plate , hand behind the glove just seems risky with foulballs.

It's all timing and movement of the throwing hand. It is faster to bring the hand from the leg to the ear versus from behind the back... to the side of your body and then to the ear.

Coaches should work more with their catcher. I see so many "execution" mistakes by catchers. The best catcher I ever saw in fastpitch as an umpire is a girl that played for Westside Thunder out of the Western Cincinnati area. Absolutely the best I ever saw at 16u. Baserunners "feared" her. Her release was so fast.. she threw runners out by four to five steps.

The worst mistake by catchers is being in the "sit down" position when a runner is on base. Get them up off their rears and put them in a slightly couched postion.. right leg slighty behind the left leg.. shoulders not squared but slightly angled... so that extra seconds can be saved from "rising" off the rears and turning.

And throw low... lower the better as the ball gets there faster. Low and bouncing is better that looping over the pitcher's head. Pick the pitcher off the rubber. She'll learn to get out of the way.

Don't seem to matter if the hands behind the back or the knee with a runner on base because the hand starts moving before the ball even gets to home plate , hand behind the glove just seems risky with foulballs.

If done correctly, the hand is totally shielded from foul balls. In over 35 years of catching or teaching my daughter and a few others, I have never seen a foul ball hit a hand that was properly behind the glove. I have seen however a hand hit that was draped over the knee guard, fingers cut from the knee guard metal clips, dislocated finger from a catcher putting their fingers in the fold behind the knee and squatting on them, damaged fingers from the catcher putting their fingers in the chest protector straps, hurt fingers from inadvertent hits with the umpire, and the catcher literally stepping on their own fingers.

Len

My DD has started to put her hand behind her right leg. She used to keep it in a loose fist behind her glove but she says she feels more comfortable with it behind her leg. I am keeping an eye on it to see if I can notice a difference in her timing to throw.

Because every position is different. Not every position squats down to catch the ball either.

With the fist behind the glove the catcher can get their throwing hand on the ball faster. If the catcher doesn't take advantage of that and waits until the ball is near the ear then there really isn't a difference at all.

If the hand is late getting onto the ball you risk having the body being ahead of the hand on the throwing mechanics. You reduce this tendency with the ball behind the glove and working on transferring the ball early.

If a catcher works on all three the difference will be slight but if we are talking the most efficient, I feel strongly that behind the glove is the way to go.

Obviously with a "no person on base" stance they can put their hand in a more comfortable spot.

If done correctly, the hand is totally shielded from foul balls. In over 35 years of catching or teaching my daughter and a few others, I have never seen a foul ball hit a hand that was properly behind the glove. I have seen however a hand hit that was draped over the knee guard, fingers cut from the knee guard metal clips, dislocated finger from a catcher putting their fingers in the fold behind the knee and squatting on them, damaged fingers from the catcher putting their fingers in the chest protector straps, hurt fingers from inadvertent hits with the umpire, and the catcher literally stepping on their own fingers.

Len

And all the reason you stated are wrong positions for the catcher to put her hands. Who teaches that ? Hopefully no one. With the hand behind the glove... you leave open the whole arm acceptable to foul balls versus if the hand was behind the right leg... arm is protected..hand is protected and gear is covering the right shoulder for protection.

It's simple. Watch a professional game and see the positioning of the hand by catchers. Is it up behind the glove? Never !!! The mechanics are the same for baseball as it is for softball. It's all about protection and quick release. Positioning is the key for quick release.

You all get back to me if you see the professional catcher with his hand behind the mitt and leaving his arm and elbows acceptable to foul balls.

Len

Done properly is the key but i,ve seen the hand and glove seperate leaving the hand exposed