Catching and Catchers discussion Catchers Thumb

DD has injured her hand. THumb and Thumb pad are sore. She thinks possible hair line fracture. She is well versed on proper catching techniques. Age 15, H.S. tryouts, uses Nokona glove,will not tell coach or stop catching. Anyone have any idea on gloves, padding or taping that would help?

If it were my dd she would go get an x-ray. All girls want to show their toughness at times but as a parent why let it get out of control and possibly hurt her more in the future. Nothing wrong with missing a week or two now instead of a month or two later. Just my opinion.

Get her to a hand orthopedic or sports medicine doc - once a fracture is ruled out they can help with spefici padding, etc.

I am a catcher and I also have "catcher's thumb". I went to the doctor and there was nothing that could be done. I still catch but I use a specific batting glove when I catch that has extra padding on it. Helps a little with the pain...but hopefully there is something they can do for your daughter.

First, I would not give mine a choice and get it checked. Was it hurt catching the ball in the glove? Possible the glove might have a defect and not enough padding where it needs to. Mine had a Mizuno that continually caused stingers where there was no padding. I sent it back and they replaced it after a year and a half, explaining to them yeah, we should have sent it back earlier, but didn't. But they stood up and replaced with a newer style.

Good Luck, but she should take a break to be sure and let it heal before more damage is done.

My DD is going through this right now also. Just saw the Orthopedic today and they said they were glad she came in to see if there was any torn tendons. Luckely there was none. They say rest is the key. She did nothing for two weeks and tried back slowly but hit it again and she's back to square one. It doesn't hurt to bat or field a ball but catching it hurts. You could have all the padding you want but it's not going to help as much.

Go to a good sports medicine doctor. If they are knowledgeable, ask them about an ortho-plast splint for her thumb. I would suggest Dr. Doug Diorrio at Max Sports Medicine in Columbus.

Its a piece of hard plastic that is heated and molded to custom fit her thumb. It's held on by velcro strips, and is made to fit into the catcher's mitt. I had one made a few years back after developing severe thumb pain while catching my DD in practice. It was a miracle! It prevents the thumb from bending backward and also almost completely eliminates the impact damage. Should be covered under medical insurance too. ?;)

This could be the same injury that may daughter had. When she was 14 her thumb was hyper extended and we thought nothing, just took it as a sprain. Then when she was 16 it happened again but this time the thumb could be bent back and touch her wrist. It turned out that the injury from when she was 14 and as we let it go it became worse. Some poeple thinks it's a broken bone but in almost all cases it's where the tendon gets torn from the bone. With our DD they had to screw the tendon back on the bone. We thought for sure it was a softball ending injury, all college interest stop, it was'nt. It turned out that her glove hand now has 20% more griping power then her throwing hand and now she's playing D1 college ball. I believe Coco Crisp had the same injury. They may try to talk you into letting it go and with rest it will recover, but I've heard storries of scare tissue build up and losing use of the thumb. Another option is to fuse the joint, KNOW WAY.

Just some insight