Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher's Toe?

DD is a catcher, freshman...shes been having pains in her dominant right foot, mainly where she supports herself (balls of your feet), the foot she uses to push off for throws...and now that shes been playing some outfield for school ball, shes not really limping but its painful...she saw the team trainer who wants to ice everything but a doctor dad told her it had something to do with the small bones/ligaments that join the toe to the ball of the foot...doctor visit? ice? deal with it? anyone else's catcher DD's faced the same sitch?

Have not heard of that one, but I would take her to an orthopedic surgeon. You mess those up and you could have trouble walking for life. Not fun, I reckon.

Sounds like the same injury the Chris wells suffered against Youngstown St.

Rest, rest, rest. Get good shoes especially for school. Walking can even be a pain. Try a little arch support that sometimes helps. Padded inserts can help also. Unfortunately running fast is done on the balls of your feet so this is tough to correct this time of the year. Wish I had better advice.

Ray,
noone on this board can answer that unless they are an MD that saw her. Dr. Pomerang I think is his name, at Children's in Westerville is outstanding! He is the one in the full page ads for them in the Dispatch..

Sounds like turf toe. Probably have to take some inflamation medication and no activities for 3 weeks or so.

Google Turf Toe....

Best to see a DR. on that. My dd is a catcher and if she had that problem I would take her to one.
Do her cleats fit her ok.Sometimes the way they are on the balls of there feet the toe part of the cleats my be rubbing her toe causing the pain.This is just a thought.

I agree take her to the doctor and it certainly sounds like turf toe. . .Get it fixed now because it is a pain long term.

on an update, drama queen got out of practice, went to doctor..now she's getting an x-ray at children's to see if the bone he was talking about is broken...wow, she's bawling of course...she just made varsity, and even though she was relegated to the outfield and questionable playing time, she's not gonna like being out 3 weeks...

It's tough for a dedicated athlete to hear the words "rest" or "out". My older dd missed her entire HS volleyball season this year finding out a few days before the first match that she broke her foot. It took a total of 10 weeks to heal, then had to bust her rump for 2 weeks to get ready for club volleyball tryouts. She was an absolute mess during this time; mad at the world and upset because she felt she let her teammates down. This might be a rough time for your dd. Be patient and understanding......and watch her come back to play with even more passion and vigor.

I pray the news you receive is not serious
Len

x-rays came back---no break! she will b seeing a sports medicine person soon...looks like its rest...thats worse than grounding her!

x-rays came back---no break! she will b seeing a sports medicine person soon...looks like its rest...thats worse than grounding her!

I recommend getting some ear plugs for the duration of her time at rest. Otherwise the moaning and complaining will drive you to drink. . .we'll maybe that's not a bad thing with it being St. Patty's Day ;&

Hopefully it will be a quick recovery. . .

u must know her well....soon she will be walking without the boot, "i'm feeling fine, now"...our loving DD!

Statman Ray,

Glad to hear the good news. Hope your DD has a fun and injury free varsity season.

Lee

Great News. Mine went thru the boot thing this winter and it was a rough 4 weeks, for us not her! I agree on the ear plugs! Tough slowing them down.

well, more news of the bizarre injury....we go to a sports medicine doctor, checks out her foot, thinks she may have GOUT! i was like, what, is she 80? So going to lab tomorrow and then for an mri...he's giving her anti-inflammatories to bring down swelling, gave her a super-boot....so, i dont know what to think know, and of course she's bawling just talking about it...our follow-up appointment in April1, and her spring break varsity ball trip leaves April 4...she is stressin!

I so feel for the kid! But man if you don't address this now and loose a little time now, it could be long term later.

Remind her chin up and be thankful it was found now verse killing a career.

Gout is a build up of uric acid. It could happen to anyone. It is rare in the young tho. Thank your God if it is the gout. It will be cleared up in a couple of days with the right meds.