Catching and Catchers discussion Catching Blocking Angles

chucklesp

Reaction score
I have a question on proper angles when blocking a pitch that goes wide. We are getting different opinion and I definitely have my own based on pure physics. So, some coaches are telling my daughter when she blocks a pitch that goes wide to angle her body to face the home-plate. I feel if she does that the ball will come off at an angle and shoot away from her.
Other instructors are saying to angle the body perfectly inline with the pitch coming in so the ball can drop directly in front of her. Basically block perpendicular to the pitch so even if she is holding a board the ball will not come off her at an angle.

Opinions?

upload_2019-7-31_11-12-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-31_11-11-30.png
    upload_2019-7-31_11-11-30.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 6

bubpub314

Reaction score
Good question. When blocking to the left or right you absolutely should get an angle so to the stomach is facing toward the front of home plate. Think like you're driving the right knee to first or your left knee to third. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a big angle but you need that angle so, if blocking correctly, the ball will be blocked right in front of home plate. The ball will not shoot off at an angle if the player blocks correctly and cushions the ball to the stomach. If you block straight to the left of right (perpendicular to the pitcher), that's when you run the risk of the ball bouncing off and shooting to the left or right of home plate. I caught/played (baseball) at a Div. 1 university and coach over 20 young ladies in catching. This is the way I always teach blocking to the right or left because it's the right way. Hope this helps.

daboss

Reaction score
bubpub314 has done an excellent job of describing the most efficient way to block a wild pitch. The instruction to move perpendicular for the very reasons explained only works if the pitch is coming in a straight line from the pitching rubber to the center of the plate. If a wild pitch misses the plate in either direction you now have an approach to the plate at an angle. This same approach can also be increased in difficulty if the pitch is spinning that direction, increasing the angle of approach, requiring more angling of the catcher to truly be "In front of the ball."

mamoneyoh

Reaction score
Do either of you (daboss or bubpup314) know of a higher level catching instructor near Dayton, OH? We lost our instructor to OSU and are looking for another one. She's 16, and a pretty good catcher, but there is always room for improvement.