Catching and Catchers discussion catching glove recommendation?

My DD uses a mizuno catchers glove. Its the black one w/ bright green lettering. She likes the glove but sometimes when she catches pitches her thumb gets "bent"back. That's how she describes it. Not sure if its the glove or the positioning of her hand on the catch? She used a worth glove the yr before and never had any issues. That glove just wore out from the inside. Any ideas on a good glove that I don't need to take a loan out for? Thanks in advance!

My dd uses Rawlings fastpitch gloves ,Her catchers mitt has held up well this season,easy breakin ,mizuno uses same H config in its catchers mitts.

Mine used a Louisville Slugger, FPS204F loved the pocket and used one through HS and Travel had to buy two over the years. About 75 dollars, nice web and never had an issue with them. Would highly recommend it. You could probably google it as not sure if it's still made. If you like we have one barely used by other DD which actually would make them 3 over the years, that you could maybe try and sell it to you?

Any ideas on a good glove that I don't need to take a loan out for? Thanks in advance!

Gloves can be one of those things that "you get what you pay for". A good glove, albeit somewhat expensive, can last for many seasons. I just wish that there were more shops that carried fastpitch equipment where you could go check out things in person.

My dd uses a Wilson A2000. She used it for Fall and Spring indoor leagues, a community travel league and tournament play over the last year. Right now it's really nicely broken in and shows no sign of wear.

We got it from Mike the Glove Dr so she was able to try out several different brands and pick what she liked the best. He also did the initial fitting and break in for her.

Larry - Sports med physicians have been making thermoplastic thumb splints for several years - which was no doubt the idea behind the Catcher's Thumb product DaytonFP linked to. We did the exact same as DaytonFP did, except the doc custom fitted a couple of them right in his office for my wife & I. Tape on a piece of velcro if needed to hold it in place, and you're good to go. It fits neatly inside the thumb hole in the catcher's mitt, and does the job superbly.

Our sports med doctors said that a lot of people think using gel pads, etc. to absorb shock will help, but he said preventing the thumb from bending back will go a long way toward preventing a chronic tendon problem - very painful.

We got the idea from an OSU catcher (from the Chain era) who used one. I also believe MLB baseball catchers use them.

My DD uses a Worth Liberty Advanced. Tried it out from another catcher and liked it so we got her one and she loves it. Two seasons now and going strong.

The Evoshield thumb guard is also very good to save the thumb. It take a while for the thumb to heal if injured so the extra protection is good. I do like the idea of the velcro to hold in place, might suggest that to my DD. My DD is 18 and likes the vailyrie series big daddy catchers mitt its a 34. They also make it in a 33. It breaks in pretty easy and she is going on her second year and have only relaced the inner web.

Not sure if this is weird,but my daughter preferred using 1st base glove.

My dd has the Easton PRO2FP. It's the same model used by the Team USA catchers and they ran $300. They do not make them anymore but you might be able to find a straggler at a good price. As mentioned earlier, the Wilson A2000 and Worth Liberty mitts are nice, as well as the top of the line Mizuno mitts.

Len

My DD and I, well me now that she doesn't catch, use the Mizuno MVP Prime GSX53. It is black with green Mizuno logo but not the "H" web. I found the one you mentioned as being a lot softer which I didn't care for. Our glove runs about $100 now. Going on 4th season with it and still great.

To add a little more here - the worth liberty advanced is a great mitt. It can and does work for a lot of very good catchers. My daughter used one to the point Brettman re-laced and re-padded her worth mitt.

However, that's the mitt she used when she developed the thumb problems. For whatever reason, with a certain pitcher, she just couldn't (or didn't) get her glove low enough (inside low pitch) fast enough. It caught her thumb a few times and once that happens, it's hard to get back to normal.

She did the thumb guard, evoshield, etc.. with some success but missplaced it, didn't use it when her thumb was feeling better or got called into catch quickly and didn't put it on and....eventually...caught a ball wrong and the process starts all over.

I can say personally using both, the worth and vinci, there is no comparison. Both are great mitts. They each have their place. But the vinci, while only marginally heavier, is built like a tank. You barely feel the ball when you catch it. It works great for catchers with a bum thumb. It does take a loooong time to break in, but once you get there, it works very well.

But, it won't help your thumb when you over run a base, slide back in head first and catch your thumb on the cleat of the opposition. You then have the thumb issue all over again.:mad:

But, it won't help your thumb when you over run a base, slide back in head first and catch your thumb on the cleat of the opposition. You then have the thumb issue all over again.:mad:

Just remind her, as a catcher, she's going to be spending a LOT of time handling low drops which often hit the dirt and need scooped - just part of the game. Have her hold her batting gloves in her hands on the bases. While it won't do squat for the cleats, it's a lot harder to jamb thumbs or fingers diving and sliding when you're forced to make a fist. :)

Just remind her, as a catcher, she's going to be spending a LOT of time handling low drops which often hit the dirt and need scooped - just part of the game. Have her hold her batting gloves in her hands on the bases. While it won't do squat for the cleats, it's a lot harder to jamb thumbs or fingers diving and sliding when you're forced to make a fist. :)

Interesting. Never thought of it. How common is that?

That "old trick" (holding the batting gloves) is used at pretty much all levels; common in HS, college and even MLB.

Both my girls ran the Nakona's, and they enjoyed them tremendously. They crack loud when the heater is thrown, and they keep their form over the season. At the end of the season we send them back to Nakona for rebuilds for a reasonable cost, and sometimes I have been able to talk to the person who actually serviced them. By the way, they are built in Nakona, Texas, and the money stays right here in the good old USA. Hey, they were not cheap though. I think they started at $185, but we got our pound usage out of them.

Both my girls ran the Nakona's, and they enjoyed them tremendously. They crack loud when the heater is thrown, and they keep their form over the season. At the end of the season we send them back to Nakona for rebuilds for a reasonable cost, and sometimes I have been able to talk to the person who actually serviced them. By the way, they are built in Nakona, Texas, and the money stays right here in the good old USA. Hey, they were not cheap though. I think they started at $185, but we got our pound usage out of them.

Not only did I get the honor and privilege of talking in person to the fellow who skillfully rebuilt my DD's two Nokona gloves, I got to shake his hand! And just who was that fellow? OFC's very own Bretman!! :D