Catching and Catchers discussion Catching Lessons-Cincinnati Area

Graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1986 with a BA in Communications. I caught for the baseball team where I was captain my senior year. I broke the single season home run record in 1985, a record which was established by Ethan Allen in 1924. My single season home run record stood until 1994. I am a member of both the Milford High School and the Clermont County Hall's of Fame.

My goal as an instructor is to help motivated, up-in-coming, catchers get to the next level. It is important for young catchers to have a solid foundation or baseline. Then, the key is to build, on that foundation kind of like you would build a house or large structure. Below is an outline of some of the key skills I teach
? How catching techniques differ with bases occupied and unoccupied
? Footwork, arm, glove, and hand position
? Receiving and framing
? Blocking - middle, right side, left side
? Throwing through to bases when runners on the move - accuracy, speed, efficiency
? Bunting situations
? How to be a leader on the field
? Calling pitches - hitter's tendencies, game situations
? Working with the umpire and staying out of their way, and rapport building
? Bonding with your pitcher. Helping them to feel more confident and re***ed
? How to build arm strength and how to take care of your arm

We generally start out each session summarizing what was learned in the previous session and.......if the student practiced the skills learned. I also encourage the students to bring a notebook to the session. Then, after the session, we review the key points of the session. This way the student can keep a journal of skills they've learned to make practicing more efficient. We take it slow and build as quick as we need to build. Skills are important, but what is even more important is confidence. Skills mean nothing without confidence.

Gary Hardoerfer
513-608-9154 cell