Coaching the Outfield Positions

InSider

Reaction score
Coaches, I know many of us repeatedly drill our infield players on proper glove position, footwork, fielding technique, and quick release. How many of us are teaching proper outfielder mechanics? I have come to the conclusion that many coaches overlook the intricacies of outfield excellence. In my opinion, you don't just throw a kid out there and expect them to know how to properly judge a batted ball.

I don't know that I could count how many outfielders I saw recently who, when the ball was hit, would run up 2-3 steps, then have to hightail it backwards to catch a fly ball. Not a single drop step. Or how many outfielders I saw that did not know how to take an angle to the ball. Or how and when to make a throw for an out to a base from the outfield. So many outfielders just automatically throw the ball in to 2nd base, regardless if there is a play to be had elsewhere. I was seeing this at even the 18u level.

Errors or "holes" in the infield will cost you bases. Those same errors or "holes" in the outfield, will cost you runs. Teach your outfielders with the same zeal you teach your infielders, pitchers, and catchers. They are every bit as valuable.

softball24_7

Reaction score
Good post! As the girls get older and stronger, I feel the outfield is just as or even more important then the infield.. I just told the girls the other day, you have the ability to break a lot of hitters hearts in the outfield

FastBat

Reaction score
Agree! I will add, I feel especially at younger ages, outfield is a secondary position. That's unfortunate! For me, an outfielder (my primary position when I played), its very frustrating to watch. Most frustrating I have seen as an adult is when players develop the "yips" trying to throw the ball in, that drives me crazy! All those pump fakes...while they are faking out their own teammates.
Basics I think are important...
1. Teach kids instead of running out to their positions at the start of the inning, I would teach them to stand between the bases and count a certain number of paces (distance determined on home field), that distance would become their "home" position. No two fields are the same and when that dirt meets grass area it looks deceptive. Nothing is worse than standing at the wrong distance because of the cut of the field. This trick can save you!
2. Before every pitch, ask yourself, if the ball gets hit to me, where should I throw it? To cut, or a certain base, etc.
3. First step...back! When the ball gets hit, rule applies atleast most of the time!
4. Always position yourself to see the bat. Sounds so basic, but I feel it's important. Then the outfielder can get a better jump as the ball leaves the bat.

Last edited:

daboss

Reaction score
Outfield----------the last line of defense. I make sure all my team understands the importance of this statement. They don't think they are important???? Outfield is the one position that when the game is on the line their play will probably result as to who will win or lose. Last line of defense is just that. If the ball gets behind them it is extra bases for most any runner regardless of their ability.

Besides the obvious things you need to work on tracking the ball is a skill of its own. Practice tracking! My favorite is the old football drill with the girls going back at an angle and shifting left or right by hand signals, then hitting them a flyball they'll need to track and time to catch. There's an oversize tennis ball racket made just for baseball/softball you can buy that will aid you in this effort. It works very well and is very forgiving for most any coach to use. Use your pitching machine to throw flyballs into the air. give your outfielders plenty of reps judging flyballs. teach them to get back or behind the ball and come in on the catch so they are in position to make a throw into the infield. Teach them to back up everything ith the frame of mind if the ball gets behind them it most certainly will result in extra bases they can prevent if they'd simply stop the ball at all costs. Lastly, get them in the habit to back each other up and to communicate with each other. those game-saving catches will come more often if their fellow outfielders are telling them to go for it, I got your back!

Point out some highlight films of outfielders making great catches and throws. This happens because they make the most of their chances when they get them and being aware of what is needed. This game has no place for outfielders playing in the dirt--------not anymore. Girls can hit the ball!

FastBat

Reaction score
I'll add another one of my "basic skills" suggestions: Calling the Ball! Why do girls not call the ball and let it drop between three players? It's not wrong to call it, it's only wrong to not call the ball. And I'll add, the "I got it," shouldn't be used. Only language that should be used calling is, "mine, mine, mine." Can't confuse that!

CoachB25

Reaction score
Here is a version of my presentation when I talk to coaches about coaching outfield play. Somethings are repeated but keep in mind that I am using a PowerPoint in making this presentation. You can disagree with any of this.

Know situations - outs, score, where runners are, keep runners off what base

Know what to do with the ball before it is hit to you. (If all else fails, get to infielder.)

Must practice - who backs up where, relay man hands (quick, smooth, circle motion, communication to outfielder.)

Before all games, check
1. obstacles
2. fence
3. stands (glare etc.)
4. warning track
5. wind
6. sun,
7. communicate with others on your angles with sun

Stance - comfortable, relaxed movements but on balls of feet ? movements should be slightly forward ? feet slightly (slightly) staggered ? as outfielder comes forward, he should focus on the pitcher then as pitcher gets ready to deliver, draw a square in front of the hitter.

Footwork ? step slightly forward, practice a crossover step to both directions - must work on ground balls to both directions. Must practice spin move for right handed -player, when going left and just the opposite for the left handed player.

Footwork is best worked on by throwing drills. Also important to footwork is the proper shoulder. If wrong shoulder pointed at the ball, conscience decision to drive the opposite shoulder at the ball.

Catching the ball, Fly Ball:

1. catch the ball by being 2 steps beyond the ball. Must practice this since it is not a natural movement.

2. catch the ball throwing side.
3. if catch the ball running away, then spin move.
4. If burned, duck and sprint to the spot.
5. Always use two hands with the throwing hand next to the glove to enable the outfielder to get the ball out fast.
6. never practice the simple catch. Always practice the catch that requires a throw. In reality, this will ensure that the outfielder is ready to make the simple catch.

Catching the ball, Ground Ball:

1. Charge and don?t let the ball play you.
2. catch the ball off of the front toe (Never catch it in between your legs unless you are down on your knees.)
3. Know the situation ? No throw situation. Go down on one knee with the other leg jutting out to the side. Block this ball at all cost. No throw ? clean hit slow to average runner, ball is in front of you.
4. right-hander ? practice running on ball to the left and catching the ball and then spinning to throw. Must practice this spin and then throw to cut off.

Catching shoestring:
1. Must practice this gap or in front catch.
2. communication must occur to let outfielder know that they are being backed up.
3. Easiest to practice when the ground is moist and soft.

Catching the Foul Ball:

1. know fence
2. know foul line
3. know situation. Example ? Winning run on third and tagged up, don?t catch foul ball if running away from home plate.

Communication:
1. Centerfield has priority over all!!!
2. Outfielders have priority over infielders.
3. Practice infielder going down on one knee when outfielder calls them off.

Throwing:
1. Throw overhead
2. Butt up in the air - hand must end picking up grass.

3. Crow hop
4. Throw to lead base. Never throw behind the runner!
5. Hit cutoff man in the head.

Line Drives:
1. Know nature of ball - line drives can rise or sink rapidly.
2. Hardest ball to catch since by nature take a step in. Must adjust fast.

Rundowns/Other:

1) Know what infielders go where
2) Outfielder is third rotation in on all rundowns.
3) know bunt situations
4) know pickoff plays and cheat. For example, catcher throw to first or third

5) know responsibility on stolen base throws. (Play batter first.)
6) Check wind each inning!
7) Know arm strength (be honest) on mandatory throw to plate.
8) Outfielders back up a base on every play.
9) Listen for coach to direct you to position on playing hitters.
10) Be careful not to drift!

Important on throwing situations - a poor throw or the inability to hit the cutoff man can cost a team the game. Do not waste the throw - make a constructive - team- play.

Some conclusions about playing outfield:

1) Hustle at all times - it is easier for an outfielder to get lazy since they are farther away from the action.
2) Back up all plays - you never have a time to stand.
3) Throw the ball to the right base always.
4) Know how many outs there are always.
5) Have game situation in your mind. Know what to tell other outfielders if you have to tell them where to throw.
6) Throw the ball overhand. Any throw side arm will drift and can possibly get an infielder hurt.

7) Never drift on a ball. Sprint beyond the ball. The inability to do this shows sloppy practice habits and a lack of hustle and pride.
8) Know the wind. The wind is not the same at all places and is not the same from inning to inning.
9) Know the sun and the time of the year. For example in high school ball, the sun will be changing and then the time changes. Therefore, the sun poses many different problems.
10) Know the hitter and her style (ex - slap hitter, power hitter) and know their speed.

11) Back up all plays.

12) Be aggressive on ground balls. Don't let the ball play you.
13) Ball above the waste fingers up ball below the waste fingers down in the glove.
14) Keep your throwing hand next to the glove on the catch. In fact, your thumb should be touching the glove. Don?t play like the pro's on fly balls.
15) Take charge on fly ball between you and the infielders.
16) Communicate at all times. In fact, talk between each inning.
17) Have a player that is not playing ready to warm you up between innings. Never wait for these players. Don't play catch with a player that has other responsibilities such as bullpen catcher. They may be warming up the next pitcher.
18) Remember, good outfielders never never backpedal. Keeping a shoulder to the ball gives you the ability to make the next play.

19) Run on the balls of your feet. Never run on your heels.
20) Know your pitcher and coaching staff and how they think on pitch selection.

Drills:

1) Ball off the wall
2) 15 foot diving drill. 15 foot so coach can control the height and angle of dive by player.

3) Long bounce
4) Blocking
5) Grounders with spin moves
6) Throws from coach or other outfielder working on correct shoulder
7) Three ball drills off of the machine.
8) Sun drills
9) Relay catch. Spread outfielders all around the outfield and play long catch hitting each other in the head with throws.
10) Practice using sun glasses.

Last edited:

wow

Reaction score
Tough to follow that post. The outfield is about speed and ball judgment. You will typically find the best athletes in the outfield at the older ages. The younger ages haven't figured this out yet, because there is not a lot hit there. Once your High 12/low 14 its about quickness, understanding cuts, and throwing kids out at 4 from deep center field!

AceGRC

Reaction score
These are very good posts.....
I have to always remind people that the Right Fielder is not a weak player position at our level.
The skills of charging that fast grounder and throwing to 1st base to pick off a lazy runner, to throwing to third base to cut down that advancing runner who did not stop at 2nd base are big big plays. Practicing these plays is not worthless but big plays that a outfielder can make. Two years ago I had a player who took it to heart and she mastered Right Field and made the big plays over and over from her RF position, as many as 10 throw outs to the bases .... this many I think is rare unless you have that desire/attitude and training to to do it. Your posts here are right on

Reaction score
Here is a version of my presentation when I talk to coaches about coaching outfield play. Somethings are repeated but keep in mind that I am using a PowerPoint in making this presentation. You can disagree with any of this.

Know situations - outs, score, where runners are, keep runners off what base

Know what to do with the ball before it is hit to you. (If all else fails, get to infielder.)

Must practice - who backs up where, relay man hands (quick, smooth, circle motion, communication to outfielder.)

Before all games, check
1. obstacles
2. fence
3. stands (glare etc.)
4. warning track
5. wind
6. sun,
7. communicate with others on your angles with sun

Stance - comfortable, relaxed movements but on balls of feet ? movements should be slightly forward ? feet slightly (slightly) staggered ? as outfielder comes forward, he should focus on the pitcher then as pitcher gets ready to deliver, draw a square in front of the hitter.

Footwork ? step slightly forward, practice a crossover step to both directions - must work on ground balls to both directions. Must practice spin move for right handed -player, when going left and just the opposite for the left handed player.

Footwork is best worked on by throwing drills. Also important to footwork is the proper shoulder. If wrong shoulder pointed at the ball, conscience decision to drive the opposite shoulder at the ball.

Catching the ball, Fly Ball:

1. catch the ball by being 2 steps beyond the ball. Must practice this since it is not a natural movement.

2. catch the ball throwing side.
3. if catch the ball running away, then spin move.
4. If burned, duck and sprint to the spot.
5. Always use two hands with the throwing hand next to the glove to enable the outfielder to get the ball out fast.
6. never practice the simple catch. Always practice the catch that requires a throw. In reality, this will ensure that the outfielder is ready to make the simple catch.

Catching the ball, Ground Ball:

1. Charge and don?t let the ball play you.
2. catch the ball off of the front toe (Never catch it in between your legs unless you are down on your knees.)
3. Know the situation ? No throw situation. Go down on one knee with the other leg jutting out to the side. Block this ball at all cost. No throw ? clean hit slow to average runner, ball is in front of you.
4. right-hander ? practice running on ball to the left and catching the ball and then spinning to throw. Must practice this spin and then throw to cut off.

Catching shoestring:
1. Must practice this gap or in front catch.
2. communication must occur to let outfielder know that they are being backed up.
3. Easiest to practice when the ground is moist and soft.

Catching the Foul Ball:

1. know fence
2. know foul line
3. know situation. Example ? Winning run on third and tagged up, don?t catch foul ball if running away from home plate.

Communication:
1. Centerfield has priority over all!!!
2. Outfielders have priority over infielders.
3. Practice infielder going down on one knee when outfielder calls them off.

Throwing:
1. Throw overhead
2. Butt up in the air - hand must end picking up grass.

3. Crow hop
4. Throw to lead base. Never throw behind the runner!
5. Hit cutoff man in the head.

Line Drives:
1. Know nature of ball - line drives can rise or sink rapidly.
2. Hardest ball to catch since by nature take a step in. Must adjust fast.

Rundowns/Other:

1) Know what infielders go where
2) Outfielder is third rotation in on all rundowns.
3) know bunt situations
4) know pickoff plays and cheat. For example, catcher throw to first or third

5) know responsibility on stolen base throws. (Play batter first.)
6) Check wind each inning!
7) Know arm strength (be honest) on mandatory throw to plate.
8) Outfielders back up a base on every play.
9) Listen for coach to direct you to position on playing hitters.
10) Be careful not to drift!

Important on throwing situations - a poor throw or the inability to hit the cutoff man can cost a team the game. Do not waste the throw - make a constructive - team- play.

Some conclusions about playing outfield:

1) Hustle at all times - it is easier for an outfielder to get lazy since they are farther away from the action.
2) Back up all plays - you never have a time to stand.
3) Throw the ball to the right base always.
4) Know how many outs there are always.
5) Have game situation in your mind. Know what to tell other outfielders if you have to tell them where to throw.
6) Throw the ball overhand. Any throw side arm will drift and can possibly get an infielder hurt.

7) Never drift on a ball. Sprint beyond the ball. The inability to do this shows sloppy practice habits and a lack of hustle and pride.
8) Know the wind. The wind is not the same at all places and is not the same from inning to inning.
9) Know the sun and the time of the year. For example in high school ball, the sun will be changing and then the time changes. Therefore, the sun poses many different problems.
10) Know the hitter and her style (ex - slap hitter, power hitter) and know their speed.

11) Back up all plays.

12) Be aggressive on ground balls. Don't let the ball play you.
13) Ball above the waste fingers up ball below the waste fingers down in the glove.
14) Keep your throwing hand next to the glove on the catch. In fact, your thumb should be touching the glove. Don?t play like the pro's on fly balls.
15) Take charge on fly ball between you and the infielders.
16) Communicate at all times. In fact, talk between each inning.
17) Have a player that is not playing ready to warm you up between innings. Never wait for these players. Don't play catch with a player that has other responsibilities such as bullpen catcher. They may be warming up the next pitcher.
18) Remember, good outfielders never never backpedal. Keeping a shoulder to the ball gives you the ability to make the next play.

19) Run on the balls of your feet. Never run on your heels.
20) Know your pitcher and coaching staff and how they think on pitch selection.

Drills:

1) Ball off the wall
2) 15 foot diving drill. 15 foot so coach can control the height and angle of dive by player.

3) Long bounce
4) Blocking
5) Grounders with spin moves
6) Throws from coach or other outfielder working on correct shoulder
7) Three ball drills off of the machine.
8) Sun drills
9) Relay catch. Spread outfielders all around the outfield and play long catch hitting each other in the head with throws.
10) Practice using sun glasses.

My practice plan!
Very good stuff!!!!!